new 392 needs exhaust

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
The exhaust valves are vacuum actuated. This is why its loud at start up (till it builds vac) and loud when the engine is floored (loses vac). Pretty cool setup to go loud, unrestricted, when the engine is loaded.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
it looks like the same muffler used on all the wranglers, with the quad tips, im assuming 2 have the exhaust valve on them. it sounds like a mustang with straight pipes on it. Annoying drone in the cab so the quiet mode stays on. Only 150 miles on it so far. Anyone know when they started using the 1234YF refrigerant in the jeeps?
2018 in JLs. For model year 2014, R-1234yf was used in the Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 300, Dodge Ram 1500, and Dodge Charger, Challenger and Dart. In 2015, it was used in the Chrysler 200.
The U.S. EPA has issued regulations that call for R134a to be phased out of domestic new car production by 2021.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I finally figured out a great replacement for the exhaust on my 3.6L after testing out 3 different setups... No more drone. If you want, we can swap rigs. I know it does not make much sense for me to take your drone heavy rig off your hands when my rig is drone free, but I am a really nice guy and don't want you to have to suffer. LOL

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
I'll be following as best I can my Challenger setup. Carven Xpipe with 4 Vibrant 1794's or the 392 equivalent. It sounded like a Corsa Extreme for about 600 bucks.

Sponsored

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojito! Wrangler 392, 2020 Neon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I must be numb to drone or just love hearing the sound of a Hemi V8 coming from a Wrangler! I keep my exhaust open most of the time unless the wife and I are going for a longer drive. The sound of the 6.4 sounds fantastic and I love seeing the look on peoples faces when I get on it and a Jeep screams at them!

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I don't seem to have a drone issue with my 392, I can hear the difference when the cylinder deactivation kicks in but no issues other than that. Again hearing is subjective just like anything else, except dyno sheets

Seriously, a drone issue with your exhaust can really ruin your day. You know it coming and your just waiting for it to start.

I have had a different cat back systems on several of the JK`s and some did have a serious drone problem

I had tried several different CAT back systems on my Raptor and you want to talk about drone???It is hard enough to get a 3.5tt to sound good to begin with, ultimately I put the stock back on.

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
Does anyone know where the electric valve is that controls the vacuum actuated muffler cutouts? The source is tee'd into the brake booster line, but I haven't found the valve that the dash mounted switch controls yet. I'll use vacuum caps to seal that circuit off, but would like to fully understand it.

I removed the muffler and cut the exhaust pipes behind the primary muffler/resonator and used the 2.75" tips to build short downturns.

The muffler was in the way of the rear tank and XD60 park brake adapter bracket so it had to go.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Does anyone know where the electric valve is that controls the vacuum actuated muffler cutouts? The source is tee'd into the brake booster line, but I haven't found the valve that the dash mounted switch controls yet. I'll use vacuum caps to seal that circuit off, but would like to fully understand it.

I removed the muffler and cut the exhaust pipes behind the primary muffler/resonator and used the 2.75" tips to build short downturns.

The muffler was in the way of the rear tank and XD60 park brake adapter bracket so it had to go.
Got any pics of everything?

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yeah. Drone becomes annoying for longer drives, I get it. Again, limited routing options. That said, I'm sure there can be improvements.
I’ve left it open almost exclusively. Love it. Sounds amazing to me. Always give it a little roar pass the Tesla charging stations.

Drive back from AZ I closed it and it was completely normal to me. Even with Sky One Touch. I’ll probably close it on all my camping trips as well.

Last edited:

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
@beckbuilt Might be a dumb question, but any concerns about exhaust fumes getting into the cab during long drives with the pipes exiting underneath like that?

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
@beckbuilt Might be a dumb question, but any concerns about exhaust fumes getting into the cab during long drives with the pipes exiting underneath like that?
@Rob97RR Not a dumb question at all. It’s a concern, I’ll find out. Lol. I think sitting still with it idling may have the most risk.

This is my temporary solution to get the muffler out of the way so I can finish the axle swap and make room for a rear mounted fuel tank.

Jgorm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 ljr, 21 392
I have some pretty hardcore car guy friends and we thought it was perfect and there was no way to make it better. These are guys that dump $10's of thousands into modifying everything.

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
@Jgorm Are you talking about my exhaust mod with the turn downs?
Sponsored