Never thought I would have a 4cyc!

sottrich1966

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport 2.0
Last year I traded in my 2018 JLUR 3.6 for a Gladiator 3.6. A week later I regretted trading in my Wrangler. I thought the Gladiator would be the best of both worlds, a Wrangler and a truck. But I never warmed up to the Gladiator and knew that I had to have another Wrangler. So 4 weeks ago I decided to trade in the Gladiator and get another Wrangler. I went to my dealer and saw this brand new black on black 2021 Wrangler JLU Sport lifted on 37’s. Salesman asked if I wanted to take it on a test drive and I said sure. I never looked at the window sticker until I started it up, and I immediately knew by the sound...this is a 4 cyl? Why would they put heavy 37 inch Toyo MT’s on a Wrangler Sport with 3.45 gears? But after test driving it I was and still am amazed how well this Jeep pulls these heavy 37,s down the road. So I wound up buying this Jeep and have no regrets with this purchase. And I get almost 19 mpg as a daily driver.

4B5D6480-DE61-486F-AA98-A27B8BE398A2.jpeg
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Same boat as many others have said. I had an 18 JLU Sport on 34s with the manual 6 speed and 3.6. Loved it and looked at the 4 cyl crew thinking no way I’d consider one. Went to a dealer and tossed around the idea of a rubicon. Always wanted one. Took one for a spin and it had the 2.0T in it. I was mildly curious if it was what people were saying. I was sold on the test drive. Ended up taking it home. No regrets and smile every time I drive it.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i've had the turbo on two vehicles before ( a dart and a compass). they are fine. i don't like the oil pressure pulse thingy to save fuel (rolls between 40psi down to 19/20psi then back to 40psi on a timer basis) but never had any problem with any of my 3 turbos. :)
they can really scoot.

as far as offroading, not sure at low speeds if turbo is helpful (or a 392 for that matter lol).
but... the 2.0 weighs less than the 3.6. so that means your wrangler is ever so slightly less front-heavy.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Turbocharged direct injection was the replacement for displacement. The 2.0 is definitely the better of the two base engines. I had a hard time telling the difference between it and the eTorque version though. Not to knock the V6 too much, they both provide more than adequate performance.
I really cannot tell difference between my 2.0 eTorque in my Sahara over the 2.0 Non-eTorque in my new Rubicon. You can really see the difference under the Hood. They for sure look different there.

I am still glad they took that option away this year for Jeep build.

Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
This all sounds so different from 2019 when I got my 2018 2.0 w/E. Sounds like the changing of the guard. I waited 2 years to do the whole wheels/tires/lift. Currently still waiting for it to be done as the rear axel failed. So far absolutely 0 issues with the engine at 52k miles.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have to say while I am happy (as happy as possible without a Hemi!) with my non-etorque 3.6 JLR, if I were buying today I would get the 2.0-mostly as I am no fan of etorque. A friend of mine has the 2.0 and loves it, a quick ride proved it's defiantly not the 4 bangers of yesteryear!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I've driven 4 cyl vehicles exclusively since 1983. This 2.0T makes me forget that it's only an in-line 4.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...still am amazed how well this Jeep pulls these heavy 37,s down the road. So I wound up buying this Jeep and have no regrets with this purchase.

And I get almost 19 mpg as a daily driver.

4B5D6480-DE61-486F-AA98-A27B8BE398A2.jpeg
That's a good looking Jeep, Scott. I can't help noticing, though, that your average fuel mileage of 19 is ~10 mpg less than my high average of 28 (stock 2021 Sport 2.0T). That's...statistically significant.

In terms of the fuel penalty imposed by lifts, wheels and/or tires, I wonder if there's a cut off point, where owners reconsider the planned modifications for their Wranglers.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wanted to get the 3.6L Auto without e-torque, as I wanted the least complication/weight on my 2021 JLUR. But since that combination was not possible, I "settled" for the 2.0L Turbo.

I came from a JKUR with the 3.6/Auto - and was supper happy with powerplant.

But the JLUR with the 2.0L Auto has been a cascade of nice surprises. I'll list a few:

1 - The simplicity of the single straight pipe exhaust!!!!TT That is something that I've never seen mentioned here. No cross-over pipe hanging down in the middle of the vehicle to deal with. When I installed my Artec skids, the installation was much simpler - fewer bolts and brackets to deal with and no issue with x-over pipe resonating on the skids. Also, no issues with drive shaft contacting the exhaust at full droop on longer shocks.

2 - Performance is amazing - Jeep feels so much lighter/faster/easier to accelerate than my JKUP of similar weight, even though I have 37s on the JLUR and had 34.5" tires on JKUR.

3 - Fuel economy is marginally better.

The only downsides I feel are the sounds at start up and a tiny bit of jumpiness (lack of low end linearity) of the throttle of roading. But those are really minor issues.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
That's a good looking Jeep, Scott. I can't help noticing, though, that your average fuel mileage of 19 is ~10 mpg less than my high average of 28 (stock 2021 Sport 2.0T). That's...statistically significant.

In terms of the fuel penalty imposed by lifts, wheels and/or tires, I wonder if there's a cut off point, where owners reconsider the planned modifications for their Wranglers.
That’s still better than my Cummins got with the same size tires. Granted a jeep weighs a lot less.

I think most people that mod vehicles in general don’t worry about the fuel mileage. I never have. I was getting 26 in my stock sport, down to 22 with a lift and tires. Still better than my other modded vehicles have ever been. The worse change was my foxbody. It would pull 30 cruising on the highway with 2.73 gears and a stock 5.0. Now days with 3.55s, heads, cam and intake I am lucky to pull 20. It is tons more fun now though.