Sponsored

I would have never thought this even 10 years ago.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
2022 Corvette Stingray (Base) - $62,195
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392 XR - $82,580

So you could buy a Corvette, and have enough left over to buy 2/3rds of a base Wrangler.

Even a top of the line Rubicon comes in over the Vette. Not saying it is wrong, but dang I would have never guessed that would have happened 10 years ago.

Anyone up for a game of "What other nice cars can you buy for less than a Wrangler?"

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. Corvette.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. Jeep.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
The C8 is an excellent value and is quicker than many European exotics, costing twice as much.

I am a Corvette guy, but the truth is, I have more fun with my Wrangler.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The base c8 corvette with z51 package is the only car I'd trade in my JLUR for. If only I could trade in my JLUR for what I paid for which is possible but ordering and buying a c8 for under invoice would be impossible in today's market I would assume

LuckyShooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
The base c8 corvette with z51 package is the only car I'd trade in my JLUR for. If only I could trade in my JLUR for what I paid for which is possible but ordering and buying a c8 for under invoice would be impossible in today's market I would assume
Under Invoice, lol

You can't even find one for MSRP.

Sponsored

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
A C8 at MSRP is appropriate and the dealers I’ve talked to will let you order one at MSRP with a refundable deposit. Not sure of the current lead times but my dad got his 12 months from ordering.

look at it this way, order one and when it shows up, walk away or quickly flip it for $10-15k - just like the early bronco orders are doing.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I really want a C8. The 392 was announced a week after I got my JL. I would have traded up...except the vector was almost 1/3 of a C8. I figured I would have both before an extreme model of either.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I really want a C8. The 392 was announced a week after I got my JL. I would have traded up...except the vector was almost 1/3 of a C8. I figured I would have both before an extreme model of either.
I won't buy a C8 any time soon (I have a 2 1/2 year old), but I subscribe to your thought, where I would buy a base C8 and a slightly better than base Wrangler before I would ever buy the C8 decked out or a Wrangler 392XR.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I owned a 2012 JKUR with an AEV 392 conversion, so I know there is a definite appeal to having a Rubicon with a 392. But I agree that the 392 Recon is way way way over priced.

I wanted one when they were first introduced. But I also wanted a Ram TRX when they were first introduced. I priced one of each at our local dealer, and they were within $1000 of each other, spec'd the way I wanted them. I wanted the dealership to order one of each, and I would take whichever one got here first. They weren't too excited to do that though. And after really comparing both of them it was very obvious to me that for the same amount of money you got so much more for your money with the Ram TRX. I ordered the Ram TRX, and bought a base model JLUR off the dealer lot. The base model JLUR (which is actually very well equipped for a base model) was half the price of a 392 Recon, because they discounted the price of the JLUR, and wouldn't drop from MSRP on the 392 Recon.

I'm happy with my choice. A base model JLUR, with only two options (hard top and auto trans) is still a great vehicle to drive, and works very well off road. And I still get to have the 700 hp poor man's trophy truck. :)

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Apples to oranges, but I find it strange that you can buy a luxury-class SUV from Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Land Rover for a much cheaper price than a loaded Rubicon with a 6-cylinder built in Mexico. And yeah, for 392 money, you can buy a 'low end' Porsche brand new for less.

Sure the Wrangler will always be more capable off-road than any of these, but it's not like Stellantis will honor your warranty after you tell them you've been rock crawling over the weekend, so that's not exactly a fair justification for their pricing either. <shrug emoji>

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Apples to oranges, but I find it strange that you can buy a luxury-class SUV from Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Land Rover for a much cheaper price than a loaded Rubicon with a 6-cylinder built in Mexico. And yeah, for 392 money, you can buy a 'low end' Porsche brand new for less.

Sure the Wrangler will always be more capable off-road than any of these, but it's not like Stellantis will honor your warranty after you tell them you've been rock crawling over the weekend, so that's not exactly a fair justification for their pricing either. <shrug emoji>
It's something for conversation right? I think we get tunnel vision since, for the most part, we cross shop the same vehicles against each other (Ram TRX, Wrangler, Wrangler 392, Ford Raptor F-150, Ford Bronco, Bronco Raptor), and don't look "outside our box" and get a good idea what other options are out there for the same amount of money from others.

To your point, the other vehicles are different beasts, but dollars to dollars is a fair comparison.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The C8 just doesn't do it for me. Proportions look off and the interior is hideous.

Now, the upcoming Lotus Emira is one i would do despicable things for. And it comes in a manual.
Sponsored