Nervous As Hell Please Reassure Me

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have a very nice 21 JLUR 3.6. Next to my 05 4.0 JLUR the 4.0 is so much more fun, there is no thrill to the 3.6. Youll spend the entirety of your Jeep ownership wishing for more power if you don't get the 392. And all the money in the world won't do much for the 3.6 or 2.0.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
This is the part of the post that stood out to me.
This is in Florida, a state full of wealthy retirees. I could afford to go above MSRP but Iā€™m just not doing it. Period. And to the sketchy dealers: donā€™t lie to me about ā€œeveryoneā€ just lining up to pay above MSRP. Do you not realize other dealers relatively nearby arenā€™t ripping people off? Apparently theyā€™re in the minority unfortunately but they are out there.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I have a very nice 21 JLUR 3.6. Next to my 05 4.0 JLUR the 4.0 is so much more fun, there is no thrill to the 3.6. Youll spend the entirety of your Jeep ownership wishing for more power if you don't get the 392. And all the money in the world won't do much for the 3.6 or 2.0.
That 2.0T can technically be tuned to make tons of power and will be 400lbs lighter then the 392 engine. Turbo 4s are pretty impressive engines. I've owned both Turbo 4s and V8s in my day. Way more V8s though. But Turbo 4s properly tuned are pretty powerful.

I don't know how much power you need off roading it's not usually much with the proper gearing. He'll some rigs back in the day had 150hp but where properly geared. Most of the time too much power usually equals broken parts.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think Iā€™m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but Iā€™m nervous as hell. Iā€™ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But itā€™s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
It's pretty much a complete waste of money.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think Iā€™m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but Iā€™m nervous as hell. Iā€™ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But itā€™s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
Yes. We all were, and we did it anywayā€¦

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Well these are the sunset years of the V8 engines, pretty soon for all the trucks and SUVā€™s

Yes, cars are the absolute worst investment. Thatā€™s whatā€™s killing me too- I know this Jeep will depreciate the second I drive it off the lot. But with electric cars taking over in the very near future I feel like this is more of a sentimental journey to me. My very first car in the 1980ā€™s was my grandfatherā€˜s V8 Buick. A four door sedan from the ā€˜70ā€™s. Looked like an old mans car but I smoked everyone who wanted to race. I actually made one kid cry I embarrassed him so much with my ā€œold manā€ car. But it had a tiger under the hood. And this Jeep will bring me full circle since I havenā€™t owned a V8 since that Buick. This will probably be the last one I ever own before electric cars arrive and it will hopefully be a good experience.
Bio-fuels are the future. Electrics are overrated and their energy usually doesn't come from 'clean' sources. V8's may decrease but they aren't going away. The Hemi Wrangler is a Concorde moment though, get it and enjoy it!!!

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
That 2.0T can technically be tuned to make tons of power and will be 400lbs lighter then the 392 engine. Turbo 4s are pretty impressive engines. I've owned both Turbo 4s and V8s in my day. Way more V8s though. But Turbo 4s properly tuned are pretty powerful.

I don't know how much power you need off roading it's not usually much with the proper gearing. He'll some rigs back in the day had 150hp but where properly geared. Most of the time too much power usually equals broken parts.
On a Jeep, torque is the answer. Yes, gearing in today's modern transmissions are way better at applying power to the ground, but they still don't offer the torque of the bottom end grunt of the old I-6 or even come close to a 392. In the end, youll be dumping far more in to trying to get the performance of a 392, than if you just bought outright.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
There is a big demand for 392's at this time. If you don't like it, you should be able to sell it back easily. In this market, the financial risk is much lower than it has been in the past.

If you can afford it, go for it. If you look at the numbers, buying a Jeep doesn't make any sense. Accept this fact.

Either you want one or you don't want one.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Get what you want and grab onto the new vibe of owning and driving the most customizable off-road vehicle ever.

After owning and driving only my Jeep for awhile and then I had to drive my other cars, I don't like driving them lol. So I just don't see you kicking yourself later for switching.

Start having fun and don't look back.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
For me 80k was a lot but I'm looking at it as more of an investment (ironic since cars are the worst investment) but with it being a V8 and a wrangler itll hold its value and the appreciate as the production ends and there end up being less and less on the street or not being traded in as much.
Exactly right! Iā€™ An old guy who has owned several vehicles that are collectibles to collector cars today. The most collectible of them was a 69 GTX engine serial number HP360 (out of 500) Iā€™m not sure I want to know what it would be worth now, probably 60 to 80 times what I bought it for. The days of the powerful V8 are numbered! 392ā€™s will be collector cars! Got mine last week

Sponsored

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
Sold my Hellcat to get the 392 because somewhere I feel in love with my 15 JK.. IMO best 4 season vehicle available period. Summer can be opened up, winter can get through anything. Now put in a 6.4 470HP Hemi V8! It' like being the meat between a Jessica Biel & Scarlett Johansson sandwich. Okay maybe not that exciting but a very close 2nd. Lol. Also with times we're in now even if you don't like it I'll bet you can get at least what you paid for it back. Used ones I've seen as much as 90k. Win/Win.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner

While Iā€™m excited to get my 392, I agree with the advances in the 2.0 4 cylinder world. But its too little too late because itā€™s also being phased out for electric albeit probably last.

Iā€™ve seen some 2020-2021 CLA45s that are making impressive numbers with a 4 banger. Never sounds as good though.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR

Which dealer in Florida?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The only way the 392 becomes an investment is if Jeep stops making them sooner rather than later.
Agree. But the ā€œdays are numbered ā€œ line was used as a reason for disbanding SRT, electric muscle cars have already been announced under development, the government is increasing MPG and emissions regulations to unattainable levels with powerful V8ā€™s. We have a few more years but I believe the ā€œ days are numbered ā€œ line to be true
Sponsored