Need opinions/advice.

Revs2ninegrand

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
So I just read through the entire thing.... I'm confused on a few things....

1. Do you also have a day job?
2. Is this retirement money?
3. Mods are another beast you haven't even mentioned. I'd fair to guess most don't keep their Jeeps stock. Mine was stock for 300 miles.
4. If you're not modding the Jeep, I don't really think the vehicle matters.
5. Why not start with a cheaper Jeep, then if the Youtube channel takes off, upgrade to the 392.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think a lot of people are assuming that this $70k is all the money he has, and some are even acting like it’s all he’s got to his name. The way I read it was he took some extra money to dabble in the market, I assume outside of regular income, retirement investments, and housing/living expenses, and did pretty well with it. It sounds to me like he’s wondering what to do with his essentially free money. Obviously if that $70k is all he’s got to his name, and the YouTube channel will be his only source of income, he’d be a fool to buy any new vehicle, let alone a 392. If he already owns a home, has retirement investments, a stable source of income, etc. then by all means blow your side hustle money on a 392, or whatever else you want.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
For sure, I find most videos are more entertaining when it's something that you feel you can actually do yourself. Can't tell you how many woodworking videos I watch where it should be a simple job (like a cutting board), but the guy pulls out a $10k CNC machine and $5k planer. At that point they are just showing off, and it'd be cooler to see it done with something we all can do without throwing a boatload of money at it.

Something like an Off-roading for Mere Mortals channel would be super cool
I’ll agree to disagree here. Have you watched videos of basic everyday trail rides? Boring as hell. Channels like litebrite, busted knuckle, and madram are popular because they are fun to watch. Most of us are not taking our $50-80k wranglers and going full send, even if we do run tough trails. It is entertaining to watch someone who will. Shows like dirt every day are relatable and entertaining as they balance budget built, cobbled shitboxes, adventures, and hardcore wheeling. I just don’t think a significant amount of people will tune in for an everyday, new Jeep cruising easy trails. It’s not as relatable as the shitbox channels, the thing still has a $40-50k buy in. It’s not as entertaining as one of the extreme channels. It doesn’t even have the draw of “I wonder how an $80k Jeep does on the trails”, “what happens if you take a 392 to the drag strip”, etc. An average (yet still expensive) Jeep on everyday trails that look like some people’s driveways. Where is the appeal in that?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Jeep is still offering 0% for 36 months, not financing is throwing money away.
I 100% agree. I would take free money all day too. The more free money the better. Personally for myself I would buy the more expensive 392 if it had 0% and invest the money. Unfortunately the incentives and subsidized interest rates change every month or more. You usually need to take actual delivery when the promotion is active. Who knows what rates will be like whenever the Wrangler is delivered. Lol.

Last edited:

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll throw in to buy the Willys and be content with small mods. Take the rest of your dough and buy SPY. Set it up to reinvest dividends and forget about it for 20 years.

Sponsored

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WK2 Limited, 21 JLUR 4xe
Where is the appeal in that?
You're right, it's probably not for everyone. Just like the influencer based channels like litebrite and busted knuckle are not for everyone. At the same time, there is a surge in the new people to the community and someone could really capitalize on making a solid channel like that.

It doesn't have to just be every day trail rides, same as it doesn't have to be about a bunch of high dollar upgrades. It could be simple, and show all the features of the jeep as you come up to it.. there are a lot of channels that assume you have basic knowledge of how to pick a line and stuff like that. Distributing a mix of tribal knowledge with practical use videos.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll throw in to buy the Willys and be content with small mods. Take the rest of your dough and buy SPY. Set it up to reinvest dividends and forget about it for 20 years.
But that sounds too simple and easy to be true.

People like the illusion that by putting some effort theyre outsmarting other traders and beating the market.

This belief benefits the vultures at wall st.

Look at people here talking about basic market terminology like it is rocket science...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha, but those repair videos aren't usually a thumbnail of a bikini clad girl or some 50-60 year olds desperately trying to appeal to the younger crowd; and they usually aren't trying to push x product. I'm finding a certified installer who puts up random how-to videos, not a random vlogger looking to make some cash.
I just learned how to drive yesterday. I was told the technique for fixing a flat is different for every kind of car. I am thinking of possibly buying a VW Type 3 and want to be prepared. I am just making sure I learn how to fix a flat on a VW Type 3 Fastback correctly. I swear!

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on the OP's financial situation it might make more sense to buy the more expensive 392 and borrow more if 0% applies. :LOL:

In all seriousness your advice is SOLID.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Your entertainment choices are solely based on being relatable? We should get them to remake game of thrones with Hondas instead of dragons, ratings would be through the roof.
🤭🤣

tenor-5.gif

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I originally hit reply to say I think you're seriously overestimating how much cooler a 392 seems than a 2 door Rubicon or another Jeep, relatively speaking...

...but part of me is starting to think you're actually a marketer and this dilemma money thing is all a ploy, and you're just drumming up interest for this secret channel...I'm not a big YouTube guy, but even I wanna watch to find out what in the world it's going be now lol
😭 Unfortunately I'm definitely not a marketer. Just an average guy.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I'm definitely not a gambler. And I would never make a bet like that. 🤣

As a matter of fact it's part of the reason I feel the urge to take my money out of the stock market while I'm ahead. I hate gambling. And this current Market feels like gambling more and more every day.

I'd rather spend it on something like a 392 and enjoy it then lose it. And like I said I don't even know if I'm going to get the 392. I'll probably end up going the 2 door Rubicon route. I honestly don't know. It will also depend on if a dealership has an allocation and is willing to give me a deal.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a bigfoot hunter channel. Good luck.
I'm guessing that's pretty over done and redundant in your neck of the woods. And no it's not that. Lol..

I actually have a crazy story about that though. I never believed in big foot. Still don't. But while Vacationing down in Tennessee we were driving around Cades cove and there was a black bear up a tree in the middle of a big field surrounded by really tall weeds and grass. We pulled over to watch it.

After about 10 minutes or so the Black bear climbed down the tree and ran off to the left. Next thing you know this big brown hairy figure stood up from the base of the tree out of the tall grass and started walking and swinging its arms exactly like the stereotypical big foot and disappeared into the woods..

To this day it still blows my mind and I have no idea what to make of it. We were such in shock we didn't even think to take pictures. I know I was like a deer in headlights. Totally caught us off guard. Pretty crazy. And yes my kids saw it too. Nuts.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
For sure, I find most videos are more entertaining when it's something that you feel you can actually do yourself. Can't tell you how many woodworking videos I watch where it should be a simple job (like a cutting board), but the guy pulls out a $10k CNC machine and $5k planer. At that point they are just showing off, and it'd be cooler to see it done with something we all can do without throwing a boatload of money at it.

Something like an Off-roading for Mere Mortals channel would be super cool
I once made a cutting board with a Stihl 261 and an old blowdown. I had no viewers though, so it ended up costing me money, in time and 50:1 fuel.
Sponsored