Clubs

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What do you think the refurbished parts are?
A refurbished part is a used part that has been refurbished/rebuilt. A used part is a part that was removed and re-installed elsewhere.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A refurbished part is a used part that has been refurbished/rebuilt. A used part is a part that was removed and re-installed elsewhere.
Semantics.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Semantics.
Would you rather have an engine pulled from another Jeep installed or an engine that has been opened up, new rings, bearings, camshaft, gaskets, tolerances checked etc?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Would you rather have an engine pulled from another Jeep installed or an engine that has been opened up, new rings, bearings, camshaft, gaskets, tolerances checked etc?
You're missing the point. Refreshed/refurbished/rebuilt or not, it isn't a "NEW" engine. Unless the engine came from the factory in the vehicle, or you install a new crate engine, whatever else you put in it has been used.

Let's end this here and not tie up this thread anymore.

Sponsored

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for all the replies. Thanks Ted, I had forgotten the name of the used blocks, I'll pass it along. Sounds as if they are getting all they can expect. I alway tried to give my customers more than they expected but I guess the days of going above and beyond are past. Thanks again.
This isn’t a shot at you or your friend. But as always, few individuals ruin things for everyone.

Costco and REI used to go above and beyond on returns and CS. Few folks decided to start returning old, worn out shoes and 5 year old computers for returns, and surprise, they had to change their policy.

I’ve dealt with plenty of terrible dealers. But they didn’t become that all on their own. There were customers who whined and whined about every little thing and expected the kingdom with every little issue.

This dealer seems legit and in reality, (and relatively speaking) is going “above and beyond.”

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I find it really hard to believe that the 3.6 is unavailable when its in multiple other vehicles and has been manufactured for so long. sounds fishy

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I find it really hard to believe that the 3.6 is unavailable when its in multiple other vehicles and has been manufactured for so long. sounds fishy
There’s a shortage of eggs currently…

I think a shortage of an engine component is feasible. Lol

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Friends in my Jeep club took their 2020 JLR in for a CIL. Dealer was unable to clear the light and they told them the next step was to pull the heads which they did. Somehow the block ended up being cracked in either the pulling or reassembly process. Dealer is accepting full responsibility but tells them there are no 3.6 engines available. Lemon Law has sunset so it's not in play. Dealer has given them a new Ram to drive until repairs are completed but offers no other resolution. Any suggestions?
LKQ has engines for $2k. Cheaper than my 10 year old Volkswagen engine.
https://lkqonline.com/2020-jeep-wrangler-engine-assembly/-h4nOnjcnnP

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
the refurbished engine failed once on its life. The takeoff did not. I’ll take the used low mileage engine.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
the vast majority of engines are back ordered for an indeterminate amount of time right now, effectively being built to order. GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Kia/Hyundai, all are out of stock.

christyh

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Overland, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Alti
We were told a minimum of 45 day backorder on our engine, but since we were in warranty, they put us at the top of the list...expect to have it within a three week window. I guess every warranty engine they provide is one less car they can sell!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
We were told a minimum of 45 day backorder on our engine, but since we were in warranty, they put us at the top of the list...expect to have it within a three week window. I guess every warranty engine they provide is one less car they can sell!
Different engine pool there. Likely going to be a reman engine for warrranty, they don’t pull off the line to repair.

christyh

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Overland, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Alti
Different engine pool there. Likely going to be a reman engine for warrranty, they don’t pull off the line to repair.
oh, great, now I feel even BETTER about our situation, hahaha. Geeze

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Theres a million 3.6 out there which means “many” are being replaced under warranty. I doubt Stella has a million spare motors sitting around just in case. If they put in remans than that means they have to aquire bad engines and spend time refurbishing them. Who knows how many motors come in, how many people they have dedicated to that process and motors being refurbished could be tied up waiting on one component that is on backorder for whatever reason.
Sponsored