OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, at least in theory, I could disconnect the blue wire from behind the kicker panel. (It's not really a blue wire, it's four wires inside a blue sheath).

I could unplug one end of the tracker from the OBDII and remove the other end from the OBDII bracket. Then I would just put the OBDII back in its original place in the bracket.

In theory... I'm confident I can do that, I'm just not confident that everything will be fine afterwards.
I'm arguing with myself now... hehe

What I said above should be true, with one notable exception. The fourth wire in that blue sheath is a black wire, and that could be for the remote ignition shutoff. They spliced and somehow rerouted the ignition.

That's the part that could be risky to experiment with, without having a schematic, or good understanding of the circuit. Well, it's off to the friendly dealer next week. :headbang:
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Speak to the manufacturer maybe? They may require proof it’s your vehicle.
I picked up a 17 JK and it has a little switch to the left of the column that the previous owner said is some kind of panic button. He wasn’t the original owner either and had no further information. I’ll get around to it.

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine didn't have anything but a OBD2 jumper.
It is called ELO GPS. It got it's power through the obd2 pins.

I just unplugged it, i haven't checked if the Jeep works yet. :(
This should be illegal with out written consent.

tracker.JPG
Thanks for sharing. It's very weird that they didn't share the info with you.

In my case, I did agree to it as an add-on (and a few other add-ons). This way I got a better price, and a few days later I canceled them all. They love me at that dealership...

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Thanks for sharing. It's very weird that they didn't share the info with you.

In my case, I did agree to it as an add-on (and a few other add-ons). This way I got a better price, and a few days later I canceled them all. They love me at that dealership...

The deal went down via phone and was a fast in and out covid thing. Some anti-theft service was brushed over lightly, I didn't know their was a freaking tracking device plugged into my obd2 though. I thought it was some type of XM or onstar type thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The deal went down via phone and was a fast in and out covid thing. Some anti-theft service was brushed over lightly, I didn't know their was a freaking tracking device plugged into my obd2 though. I thought it was some type of XM or onstar type thing.
Yeah, many dealers excel at brushing over add ons. Mine gave me an excellent price for my trade in, more than I was expecting. And a good price on the Jeep.

For that he loaded on add ons. He didn't even mention a $2,000 Mopar maintenance warranty that he added ! I saw it first time when I was signing the contract.

I played ignorant though... (my wife says I'm a natural at it... LOL). I knew I can cancel Mopar warranties, so I wanted to keep him happy. I read the different add on contracts, saw no "non refundable" clauses, so I signed.

Two days ago I went in and dropped the hammer. $8000 in add ons canceled. That's why I didn't really want to go back anymore for this tracker, but I have no choice.

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ok, I removed the tracker and the Jeep was fine going back and forth a few feet. The tracker wasn't connected to anything else, just the OBD2 port. They hid the main body of the tracker behind the kick panel, that's where the blue sheath was going.

I just unplugged the tracker from the OBD2 port, and put the stock port back in its bracket.

My question now is this: looking at the stock OBD2 port, I see only a few metal pins shining there. Is this normal? Shouldn't they all have metal pins?

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help removing GPS tracker add-on IMG_3031.JPG

And this is the tracker I removed

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help removing GPS tracker add-on IMG_3029.JPG

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine looks the same
Thanks! I was getting paranoid that the dealer did something with that as well...

Just drove the Jeep 50 miles with no issues. I'm extremely happy I don't have to go back to the friendly dealer.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@aro

What possibly added up to $8000?!?

Sponsored

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@aro

What possibly added up to $8000?!?
Mopar warranties (one very overpriced and one never mentioned), GPS tracker device + 5 year contract, paint protection, Echosafe (no clue what it was).

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mopar warranties (one very overpriced and one never mentioned), GPS tracker device + 5 year contract, paint protection, Echosafe (no clue what it was).
2 warranties - WOW! Does that mean they fix everything twice!?! ;)

What is a 5 year contract?

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2 warranties - WOW! Does that mean they fix everything twice!?! ;)

What is a 5 year contract?
One was Mopar extended warranty for $3500 and the other one was some Mopar maintenance for $2000.

GPS tracker was $999 and it came with a 5 year "surveillance" contract with a third party for $799 or so.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Let's go back to the GPS Tracker.....Was this an Add-On and made clear to you or was this a standard thing.....Can definitely say I don't want some 3rd party tracker on mine !!
Sponsored