Need help, E-Brake loose

RubiconMarcSF

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey everyone, just had my Jeep lifted and noticed when I got home, my E-Brake was pretty loose on touch when I tried to use it after I parked.

As I engage it, it’s pretty loose and has decent movement and goes all the way up to locking position.

Just asking everyone if they had this problem before and if it’s a easy fix without driving a hour to the shop. Thanks
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
It's a pretty easy fix in the center console, if you search here you will find better more specific instructions than I can provide off the top of my head, with photos and video.

Think you need a 13mm

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, just had my Jeep lifted and noticed when I got home, my E-Brake was pretty loose on touch when I tried to use it after I parked.

As I engage it, it’s pretty loose and has decent movement and goes all the way up to locking position.

Just asking everyone if they had this problem before and if it’s a easy fix without driving a hour to the shop. Thanks
It's possible that they didn't disconnect the cables from the wheel ends, before dropping the axle. That would stretch and partially straighten the cable ends, resulting in the immediate looseness that you have. Nothing about the lift should change the parking brake adjustment. It's also possible that one of the cables were pulled off the wheel end.

I would investigate what caused the immediate change before pulling the center console apart.

OP
OP
RubiconMarcSF

RubiconMarcSF

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Update, the shop just got back to me saying they did disconnect it to install the new lift. Obviously they said to bring it back to the shop. However if I can just reconnect it, where would that location or locations be and is it easy?

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Update, the shop just got back to me saying they did disconnect it to install the new lift. Obviously they said to bring it back to the shop. However if I can just reconnect it, where would that location or locations be and is it easy?
Like others stated, there are two areas where the cable can be disconnected. The typical disconnect area for lift installation is on the backside of the rear brakes (backing plate). On each side, there's a metal circle with a hole in the middle connected to a metal shaft. The shaft enters the brake housing area and this on the front side of each of brake housings. The cable ends have a hook, which hooks into the shaft with the hole.

If it's disconnected at these locations, it's not as easy as simply inserting the hook. First, you have to disconnect the cable from the axle mount. I did this by sliding a small hose clamp over the brake cable latch and tightening the clamp. By doing this, the clamp compresses around this latch and you can slide the cable from the axle mount. You will then have enough slack to insert the end of the cable into that small hole. Use a pair of vise grips to hold this shaft out from the housing, this will make it easier.

The 2nd area where the cable can become disconnected is under the center console. Watch the above video for how to do this. I don't see why they would've disconnected the cable under the console though. When I installed my lift, one of the cable's accidentally disconnected itself under the console once I disconnected it at the backing plate.

QED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The video Hound Dog linked above was very helpful. My ebrake lever felt very loose after I installed my lift kit. I know that I disconnected the ebrake lines before drooping the axle, so excessive pull wasn't a factor. When I opened up that part of the center console I noticed the opposite; disconnecting the ebrake cable left too much slack, allowing the cable to pop out from the part that connects them to the handle:
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help, E-Brake loose ebrake0

Loosen that center nut with a 10mm deep socket, push back it, re-tighten that nut, done.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help, E-Brake loose ebrake1
Sponsored