FIRST JEEP EVER NEED HELP!!

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
Hi everyone I am very excited to be purchasing a 2018 JL Sport in most likely 1 month. I have been reading a lot of threads about the rusted underbodies and the bad welding on some of these cars and it has me kind of nervous. I was wondering if I could get some advice on things to look for and ask when at the dealership to avoid these problems and if I could get some tips in general as this will be my first wrangler. Please remember to elaborate on some of the terms used because as aforementioned I do not know any common issues or phrases. Maybe it would help to explain as if explaining to a first grader LOL. Thanks if advance for the help and i'm excited to join the community!!
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Hi everyone I am very excited to be purchasing a 2018 JL Sport in most likely 1 month. I have been reading a lot of threads about the rusted underbodies and the bad welding on some of these cars and it has me kind of nervous. I was wondering if I could get some advice on things to look for and ask when at the dealership to avoid these problems and if I could get some tips in general as this will be my first wrangler. Please remember to elaborate on some of the terms used because as aforementioned I do not know any common issues or phrases. Maybe it would help to explain as if explaining to a first grader LOL. Thanks if advance for the help and i'm excited to join the community!!
Yes, there were weld issues on some of the 2018 jeeps. If you read through the threads, you'll see a lot of photos of what the welds looked like. My Jeep was built in October and I have no weld issues. The dealer put the Jeep on a lift for me to inspect the welds and track bar. I did with two of their service guys and all was good.
I was very concerned when I ordered but nothing to worry about now.
But definitely educate yourself a little and check it out real good when you take delivery. You'll be fine I'm sure.
Now for the steering issue, that I don't know. I have no issues with steering but some people do and I really don't know if everyone got them resolved.

OP
OP
Troutster

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
Yes, there were weld issues on some of the 2018 jeeps. If you read through the threads, you'll see a lot of photos of what the welds looked like. My Jeep was built in October and I have no weld issues. The dealer put the Jeep on a lift for me to inspect the welds and track bar. I did with two of their service guys and all was good.
I was very concerned when I ordered but nothing to worry about now.
But definitely educate yourself a little and check it out real good when you take delivery. You'll be fine I'm sure.
Now for the steering issue, that I don't know. I have no issues with steering but some people do and I really don't know if everyone got them resolved.
The common variable that i've been seeing with the steering is when the jeep is taken into cold weather which isn't a problem because I live in Texas. Also I haven't custom ordered my JL I am going to be purchasing off the lot.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The common variable that i've been seeing with the steering is when the jeep is taken into cold weather which isn't a problem because I live in Texas. Also I haven't custom ordered my JL I am going to be purchasing off the lot.
I wish i could have bought off the lot. But I wanted a manual rubicon and that's a unicorn 'round these parts.
You'll be fine. Take a nice long test drive and check out underneath to play it safe.

OP
OP
Troutster

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
I wish i could have bought off the lot. But I wanted a manual rubicon and that's a unicorn 'round these parts.
You'll be fine. Take a nice long test drive and check out underneath to play it safe.
Thanks! Any other tips or pieces of advice for a first time jeep owner?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Any other tips or pieces of advice for a first time jeep owner?
Yes-keep reading this forum-lol.
I'm a first time jeeper myself, and I have learned so much! It has consumed my life for the past few months but it's been invaluable.
Sponsored