covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Hello fellow Jeep owners,

I've bought my first Jeep last year 2018 JL Rubicon 2Door Manual and recently my clutch started slipping so I found there is a recall issued for my vehicle.
Thing is I've exported my Rubicon out of the states (I live in Vanuatu :) and so no dealer would be able to assist me.
I've had a look around and it seems both Centreforce and Southbend are out of stock.( Centreforce promised to deliver by march next year).
Considering how bad my clutch is slipping - i dont think i can wait untill March.

What are my options here?

Also - I'm considering a minor suspension upgrade, perhaps only for the shocks? daily drive is about 6 miles of a dirt road with huge crater like pot holes, and i normally drive very fast over these and so the rear of the vehicle is constantly slipping from the potholes.
Would anyone be able to recommend something to improve the drive over this type of terrain?

appreciate your help guys

Din

Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice: Clutch replacement PXL_20201013_223236993
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice: Clutch replacement PXL_20201013_223256062
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice: Clutch replacement PXL_20201013_223333222
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
From where you are you might be better off shipping your U.S. purchase to New Zealand or Australia first, then onto Vanuatu. Chances are that it will ship quicker that way as opposed to a direct shipment. Alternatively, source suppliers that keep stock in either NZ or AU.

OP
OP

covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Yes , FedEx usually ships through Australia but since covid they sometimes ship through Fiji.

But still I need an advice for what should I buy :)

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For other vehicles with manual gearboxes, I have used Kennedy Engineering for clutch systems. (kennedyeng.com)

The trick is the dual mass fly / pressure plate.
Do not know if someone has made a simple flywheel / simple pressure plate setup for the JL.

Side bar:
Never really understand why someone would take a very simple proven design and try to make it "more better."

The "more better" design is typically more complicated, more expensive, and more likely to fail. Not sure where the "better" part fits into the above.

OP
OP

covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
For other vehicles with manual gearboxes, I have used Kennedy Engineering for clutch systems. (kennedyeng.com)

The trick is the dual mass fly / pressure plate.
Do not know if someone has made a simple flywheel / simple pressure plate setup for the JL.

Side bar:
Never really understand why someone would take a very simple proven design and try to make it "more better."

The "more better" design is typically more complicated, more expensive, and more likely to fail. Not sure where the "better" part fits into the above.

Thanks,
I've just checked Kennedy Engineering - they do not make a kit for the JL.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Might want to give them a call.
They have made some custom stuff for me.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Prior to it slipping, were you unhappy with your OEM clutch? If not, have you considered just ordering a Mopar replacement and installing that? As long as it is a post-recall part number, you shouldn't have any repeat issues.

OP
OP

covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Prior to it slipping, were you unhappy with your OEM clutch? If not, have you considered just ordering a Mopar replacement and installing that? As long as it is a post-recall part number, you shouldn't have any repeat issues.
No I was not happy with the clutch however it could be another symptom of the recall?
When I'm shifting fast I would get a grinding sound from the gear box, especially on 3rd gear - I've actually seen few posts around here in regards to that but no one really pinpointed what's the cause but I suspect its the double plate are not aligned as if it was a single plate clutch but I don't really know.

Seems like I'm out of options anyway, no one is currently making a clutch kit.
Sponsored