Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Update…

Dealership could not figure out the whining noise issue, and gave me my vehicle back and told me to drive it another 4000 miles to let things “settle in” on the drivetrain. Yeah, that’s not very assuring. FCA case manager called me and said they will have a “Star Manager” on this asap. I am more concerned about safety, and want to know this is not a safety concern. I told FCA I now have this documented, and if there is catastrophic failure with my differential or drivetrain and my vehicle flips or has a bad accident…it’s not going to be a good day for FCA. Waiting to hear back from FCA.
I had this issue with my YJ...a combination of the ring and pinion and I think a bearing in the manual transmission. I don't think it will be catastrophic, but keep bringing it in if doesn't change or gets worse. That's what the warranty is for.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Not being dramatic, but at the same time I’ve never had a dealership tell me “sorry, we don’t know what the issue is…here’s your $56k vehicle back.” I don’t know about you, but I work hard for my money and $56k in today’s economic climate isn’t chump change.
Not for nothing, but it might time to trade it in. Clearly the dealer thinks it's acceptable to drive, and values are good right now. Trade it for another one, let the next guy deal with it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I will eat a few grand if I trade it in right now. I think perusing this buyback or vehicle replacement will be my best bet if they replace the entire axle.
If they replace the axle and you still aren’t happy, then you have no grounds for buyback, are an irrational person, and deserve no sympathy.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
It is good practice to always start the fault finding process by eliminating the probability of something insignificant causing the issue.

An example - A while back I went off roading and climbed a very steep and rocky hill. After scaling the hill my Uconnect 8.4" screen went dead. At the top of the hill the guys in our group had a look (Some tech's amongst them) their assessment of the fault was "Electric connection came lose", "Fuse blew", "The Uconnect unit fried and must be replaced", "Software malfunction".

All of them advised me to take the Jeep to the dealer asap.

My fault finding assessment - I replayed the rocky hill climb in my mind, I remembered that my passenger was shaking around a lot when we went up the hill because he was not holding on to the grab handles, his arms was all over the place.

I realized that he could have touched the UConnect on/off switch so I pressed the on/off switch and lo and behold the UConnect unit turned on.

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While that is a much easier issue to diagnose, noises from the drivetrain cannot always be seen or felt. What if its the flywheel, transmission, driveshaft, axles, wheel bearings, etc…. The last thing I want is the vehicle taken apart component by component as a trial and error exercise….especially on a brand new Jeep! As much as I love wrenching on my own cars, this is something neither I nor the dealership can figure out it seems.
Do you know where the noise comes from and can you describe what the noise sounds like ie metal on metal, is the noise there everytime or is the Jeep fine some days.

What is the exact Wrangler model you have, do you off road and what mods did you do to your Jeep.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it is a whining noise leave your girlfriend/wife at home, the whining will be gone.

Just kidding.

Do the noise increase/decrease relative to your speed or is the noise constant no matter your speed.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My old '19 JLR 2.0 eTorque had a whining noise like yours. Except I had a automatic. My whining noise was easily repeatable. It would do it every time I lifted off he gas pedal and stop the instant I got back on the gas pedal. Another eTorque owner thought it was the eTorque system charging the battery? No noise on the gas pedal and whining right when you lift off the gas pedal. It is very repeatable and happens 100% of the time.

Someone else on this forum had a link to a thread where other people had the same noise under the same conditions.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I had a friend that had a whine on his Jeep too. Just like you, he wouldn't stop whining about it. We all made fun of him. Well, last month, his Jeep exploded killing him and his girlfriend who was on the passenger seat. The horrific part of this story is that somehow he is still whining about the whine. I need more wine.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sup guys,

So a few days ago I started to notice a whine when decelerating (most notably) on the highway. I notice it more when in 6th gear, but it’s less and less apparent in lower gears. When I accelerate, goes away….as soon as I lift of the gas pedal, it comes back. I tried pushing in the clutch, but no change in whine. I have read it could be a ring and pinion or bearing and race issue, but I am not sure. I have an appointment this afternoon with Jeep to look at it. Car has 1100 miles on it. Does anyone know if this is normal or anything to worry about? I would hate for Jeep techs to start ripping into the drivetrain on such as new low mileage car.
Just for giggles try putting your front tires on the back and the back tires on the front. I've heard of stranger things happening with tires. Something may be causing a specific wear pattern in combination with a certain balance and directional load, now you're picking up a noise. It's something simple and cheap you can try yourself. Do it your self so you know both of the fronts end up on the rear and both of the rears end up on the front. Don't do a regular 4 or 5 tire rotation.

I had a Jeep many years back that after I rotated the tires I got a death wobble from hell at 25mph. Checked and rechecked the wheels, retorqued and still uncontrollable death wobble. I "un-rotated" the tires and I never had a problem again. Went another 10K miles on those tires. Like I said, stranger things.

Last edited:

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I had a friend that had a whine on his Jeep too. Just like you, he wouldn't stop whining about it. We all made fun of him. Well, last month, his Jeep exploded killing him and his girlfriend who was on the passenger seat. The horrific part of this story is that somehow he is still whining about the whine. I need more wine.
Is that humor?

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
...the guys in our group had a look (Some tech's amongst them) their assessment of the fault was "Electric connection came lose", "Fuse blew", "The Uconnect unit fried and must be replaced", "Software malfunction".

All of them advised me to take the Jeep to the dealer asap.
and NONE of them tried the power button? man that's some group of quality techs you got there 🙄:facepalm:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
There is something wrong, the dealership and FCA has acknowledged this….so, I at least know this is NOT normal. What worries me, is the unknown….since we all agree something is wrong, great!, but what is wrong??? I don’t wanna be the guy who parks his car at the grocery store only to come back out and find half of the city’s fire department try to put the fire from my jeep out…or the guy who’s jeep does a shard turn into a median on the highway because the rear grenades. If this required a break in period for the drivetrain, it should have been stated in the owners manual.

My case has been escalated and since a Field Tech already inspected the vehicle and he and FCA aren’t able to determine the issue…I think it’s only fair to give me a new vehicle. I will report back soon as more information is provided from FCA
Either you worry a lot or you believe that FCA/Stellantis/Jeep execs pay attention to this board. I've had a rear axle grenade before, it sounded like marbles and rocks in a blender, then I coasted to the side of the road.

I probably would have driven it for another few thousand miles to see if the noise dissipated. The axle is hardly broken in at 1100 miles.

My understanding at this point, based on your explanation, is that they removed the diff cover and looked at it for awhile then did nothing.

I would drive it more and see if it goes away or gets worse. However, you sound as if your mind is set that it will never be right.

From page 157 of the 2021 Wrangler owners manual, copied and pasted.

NOTE:
A certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise can be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in NEUTRAL with the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released), but it may also be heard when driving. The noise may also be more noticeable when the transmission is warm. This noise is normal and is not an indication of a problem with your clutch or transmission.

Is it possible that this is what you are hearing? A 2 door is short and the sound could be sound as if it is coming from farther back. The 6 speed in my JK was quite noisy.
Sponsored

Last edited: