Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had something similar happen to my 2009 JKUR after it got rear ended. It turned out to be a bent transmission mount.

Check if you notice the whine in 2nd and 4th gears as well; the shifter is pulled down in all those gears just like in 6th.

If you notice a similar whine in all those positions, then I will bet you have a bent or broken transmission mount somewhere.

Good luck!

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
I had the whine in my 02 TJ back in 2016. It was not a cheap or easy fix. Pinion bearing. At least yours should be under warranty.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Got a call today from dealership. The Jeep dealer now has a Field Technician from FCA on the case there at the dealer, this is starting to worry me, but it is what it is. Worse case, they give me another new (same spec) JL under lemon law. Hopefully won’t get that far. Will keep the forum posted.
lol you won't get a new vehicle. but you will get a diff warrantied or rear end, whatever they find. awhile back they didn't even allow any techs to open any rear ends to check parts or even fluids, and would send replacement axles. especially for the rubicons with electronic locker. im sure they'll get to the bottom of it if there's already a fca guy out there.

OP
OP
FJL40

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
lol you won't get a new vehicle. but you will get a diff warrantied or rear end, whatever they find. awhile back they didn't even allow any techs to open any rear ends to check parts or even fluids, and would send replacement axles. especially for the rubicons with electronic locker. im sure they'll get to the bottom of it if there's already a fca guy out there.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Had a similar whine in my Boss 302; rear axle was replaced under warranty with 500 miles on it. I'm sure it'll get sorted but it's certainly annoying.

My Gladiator had an issue where the factory wrapped a wiring harness around an exhaust manifold and as it would heat cycle it would cause interference in the wiring -- which led to the entire Jeep freaking out. Took a week ish for them to find it and fix it (properly).

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
They did, a 21’ Grand Cherokee. Not annoyed by not having daily transportation…I’m more annoyed I don’t have something to go wheeling with. It’s one thing to take your own vehicle off-road, it’s another thing to take someone else’s vehicle off-road.
Depends on perspective. My feeling is, theirs is almost certainly faster off road... :LOL:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Update…

Dealership could not figure out the whining noise issue, and gave me my vehicle back and told me to drive it another 4000 miles to let things “settle in” on the drivetrain. Yeah, that’s not very assuring. FCA case manager called me and said they will have a “Star Manager” on this asap. I am more concerned about safety, and want to know this is not a safety concern. I told FCA I now have this documented, and if there is catastrophic failure with my differential or drivetrain and my vehicle flips or has a bad accident…it’s not going to be a good day for FCA. Waiting to hear back from FCA.
What exactly do you think differentials do? It needs to get fixed but jeeze, no need to be dramatic about it.

ilike2breakthngs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4XE
Update…

Dealership could not figure out the whining noise issue, and gave me my vehicle back and told me to drive it another 4000 miles to let things “settle in” on the drivetrain. Yeah, that’s not very assuring. FCA case manager called me and said they will have a “Star Manager” on this asap. I am more concerned about safety, and want to know this is not a safety concern. I told FCA I now have this documented, and if there is catastrophic failure with my differential or drivetrain and my vehicle flips or has a bad accident…it’s not going to be a good day for FCA. Waiting to hear back from FCA.
Call a lemon lawyer asap. You don’t have to pay anything for it and FCA will pay for them.

Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Sup guys,

So a few days ago I started to notice a whine when decelerating (most notably) on the highway. I notice it more when in 6th gear, but it’s less and less apparent in lower gears. When I accelerate, goes away….as soon as I lift of the gas pedal, it comes back. I tried pushing in the clutch, but no change in whine. I have read it could be a ring and pinion or bearing and race issue, but I am not sure. I have an appointment this afternoon with Jeep to look at it. Car has 1100 miles on it. Does anyone know if this is normal or anything to worry about? I would hate for Jeep techs to start ripping into the drivetrain on such as new low mileage car.
The main reason this is probably happening is because you keep calling it a CAR.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’m on it….I love the Jeep, but at 1100 miles, I mean come on! What bothers me the most is the dealers have no idea what the issue is.
Get the contact info of the Field Technician from FCA. Could be all B.S.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They sent me an email. I also have the service record papers stating what I mentioned above. So, it’s all well documented. I did contact an attorney, and I am well within the AZ requirements for a buyback or replacement of new car, so that’s at least good news. However, I do want to give FCA a chance to at least figure this out for future customers so that it doesn’t cause safety issues for someone else…especially with a family. Cars can be replaced, loved ones cannot be. I know some people think I am overreacting to a bad differential (if thats what it is) being a safety issue, but in my experience, a broken diff on a sports car can send your vehicle sideways almost instantly. Now imagine that at highway speeds. Yeah, no thanks.
Wait, so you're well within the AZ requirements for a buy back? You have no idea what the "issue" is, and you just reported this "issue" a few weeks ago. Can you elaborate on how your Jeep qualifies?

Edit: You should do a quick google search on AZ Lemon laws, the lawyer you contacted sounds like a hack.
Sponsored