covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Hi Guys,

The strangest thing happened and I need your experienced opinion to understand what went wrong with the damper?

I live in Port Vila (Vanuatu), small Island in the south pacific, I've imported my 2018 JL 2-Door Rubicon here couple of years ago and I absolutely love it.
Back in April last year I went heavy off-roading and damaged my damper and so I've replaced it with Teraflex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering.

200 miles of normal drive after the installation of the new damper, it is broken and gone, is there a common mistake with installing these that could have caused it or could you have any other educated guess for how did this happen?

Note how the damper broke off there is a piece with a different silvery color.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Damper/Stabilizer is gone 1643002720820

Jeep Wrangler JL My Damper/Stabilizer is gone 1643002689864

Jeep Wrangler JL My Damper/Stabilizer is gone 1643002648081

Even the bracket is gone, see this post for the full parts my mechanic asked me for for the fix:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-getting-the-right-part-djd-dje-vs-djf.86709/

Thanks guys,

Din
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Your brother in law took it off road and broke it, then threw away the evidence.

wild speculation is the point of this thread, right?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi Guys,

The strangest thing happened and I need your experienced opinion to whether 'someone' stole my damper?

I live in Port Vila (Vanuatu), small Island in the south pacific, I've imported my 2018 JL 2-Door Rubicon here couple of years ago and I absolutely love it.
Back in April last year I went heavy off-roading and damaged my damper and so I've replaced it with Teraflex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering.
After that I left the country and left my vehicle with my brother in law, in an Unsecure location where my vehicle could be tampered with.

My suspicion is that my mechanic stole the stabilizer and so I will post some photos of what it looks like now:
* Note I'm the only Wrangler in town so is it likely to be used by another vehicle?

Note how the damper broke off there is a piece with a different silvery color.

Even the bracket is gone, see this post for the full parts my mechanic asked me for for the fix:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-getting-the-right-part-djd-dje-vs-djf.86709/

Thanks guys,

Din
So, you think your mechanic went to your unsecured location and took the stabilizer and mount off? How did he know it was there?
Being most likely the only shiny part easily accessible, I wonder why you're so quick to blame a mechanic? Anyone could have taken it in about 5 minutes. And yes, it could be used on another vehicle but not many vehicle actually use a steering stabilizer, and if someone tries to use it as a shock, well, they're going to be shocked. Lol.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It’s odd that your mechanic doesn’t show an axle bracket on his list of parts, maybe he plans on using the one he took off ??? Something is definitely afoot ……🧐

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
If your BIL tampered with anything it would be your brakes. 🎯

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So, you think your mechanic went to your unsecured location and took the stabilizer and mount off? How did he know it was there?
Being most likely the only shiny part easily accessible, I wonder why you're so quick to blame a mechanic? Anyone could have taken it in about 5 minutes. And yes, it could be used on another vehicle but not many vehicle actually use a steering stabilizer, and if someone tries to use it as a shock, well, they're going to be shocked. Lol.
Theyre going to have a hard time reusing it when one eye of the shock is still attached to his tie rod.

OP
OP

covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Dumping the theft accusation, are you aware of a common mistake with damper installing that could of caused this?

I have modified my post, I am positive no one went off-roading and the stabilizer is gone within few hundred miles of driving.

I found this; would this wrong installation could cause how my stabilizer is broken off?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/had-my-steering-damper-replaced-today.36589/

OP
OP

covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
Theyre going to have a hard time reusing it when one eye of the shock is still attached to his tie rod.
Yeah I also matched the eye to another Teraflex shock I have and its the same material, same color so its defiantly it.

So now i'm left wondering how did it break within 200 miles of city use.

Sponsored

OP
OP

covodin

First Name
Din
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door
It’s odd that your mechanic doesn’t show an axle bracket on his list of parts, maybe he plans on using the one he took off ??? Something is definitely afoot ……🧐
hmm you are right! which part is the axle bracket

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
hmm you are right! which part is the axle bracket
It’s not even in his drawings, there should be a picture of the axle, and the bracket….🤔.
He’s becoming lower on the list of suspects though……. It looks like whoever took it, broke it, there’s part of it still in the tie rod bracket..
A mechanic would have just unbolted it….👨‍🔧

Jeep Wrangler JL My Damper/Stabilizer is gone 8DC513A0-C4F0-408D-89E5-4BBAD83A0C26

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
looks like the axle side mount looks to have fallen off either the bolts came loose (more likely) or it was broken off, then the damper was just drooping from the knuckle side and was ripped off while driving down the road
Sponsored