Mudflaps and Rubicon Flares?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I did not attach mine like you did. I put the entire flap behind the front fender liner and ran all 3 of the plastic headed screws in from the front through the fender liner, then the metal connector on the mud flap. This is how I understood the instructions and it makes them easy to remove as all 3 screws are right next to each other inside the fender well.
Instructions were vague both ways work however I do not think I would want the plastic screw heads in the well (I know the inside one has to be). I would be concerned those getting broken and beat up,regardless they are easy to get to on the backside like I did and they are protected. regardless I do not have a lot of faith in the hardware provided.

So Yours Is only supported by the plastic fender liner and the one inside metal whole? whereas mine is supported by the two steel attachment points the fender liner was originally attached to as well as the inside metal attachment point. Am I missing something on yours?
Sponsored

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Instructions were vague both ways work however I do not think I would want the plastic screw heads in the well (I know the inside one has to be). I would be concerned those getting broken and beat up,regardless they are easy to get to on the backside like I did and they are protected. regardless I do not have a lot of faith in the hardware provided.

So Yours Is only supported by the plastic fender liner and the one inside metal whole? whereas mine is supported by the two steel attachment points the fender liner was originally attached to as well as the inside metal attachment point. Am I missing something on yours?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think mine is supported in the exact same 3 holes you are using. I just have all 3 of the screw heads visible in the wheel well. They very well might get beat up or destroyed but RokBlokz makes flaps for many, many vehicles and I was trusting that these screws aren't being used as their very first application on the Wrangler. If they break off, I'll unscrew them with a pair of pliers and put new ones in from the rear as you did.

Thanks.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm not 100% sure, but I think mine is supported in the exact same 3 holes you are using. I just have all 3 of the screw heads visible in the wheel well. They very well might get beat up or destroyed but RokBlokz makes flaps for many, many vehicles and I was trusting that these screws aren't being used as their very first application on the Wrangler. If they break off, I'll unscrew them with a pair of pliers and put new ones in from the rear as you did.

Thanks.

SO Where the two stock pins were on the upper two wholes, those pins pushed into a whole in the metal backing behind the liner to the metal backing is what the flaps are srewed through. are your fastened to those metal points or just the liners. I thought about having the screw head inside the well but could not figure out haw to get the positive attachment to the metal baking behind the liner without having a nut back there.

SO are yours only attached (at those two top holes) to the plastic liner itself or is there somehow a positive connection to the metal backing that the original pins pushed into?

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
SO Where the two stock pins were on the upper two wholes, those pins pushed into a whole in the metal backing behind the liner to the metal backing is what the flaps are srewed through. are your fastened to those metal points or just the liners. I thought about having the screw head inside the well but could not figure out haw to get the positive attachment to the metal baking behind the liner without having a nut back there.

SO are yours only attached (at those two top holes) to the plastic liner itself or is there somehow a positive connection to the metal backing that the original pins pushed into?
My top 2 holes are going through the fender extension and wheel liner both. There is no metal there as it is outside of the body area of the Jeep. I wouldn't bounce it against a rock but it isn't going anywhere while on the road and can be removed in just a minute if going off-road.

Bthomas312

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Would love to see some pictures of these installed on your Jeep, I also have the Punk'n color, would have loved if the orange was more of the body color of orange. I am also just considering black.

Geos7812,
I was able to install my driver side mud flap when cutting the lower fender liner the same way you did but it was a tight push to get it on that bracket. I lined up the bottom corner of the opening in the mud flap with the bottom corner of the metal bracket and got it started, then I pushed the flap up so that the rest of the slot went over the bracket. Then I pushed it in.

Were you able to slide the bracket in to the flap before you mounted the bracket? The instructions say to leave a couple of the screws less tight than the others so it doesn't bind. I was able to tighten mine down and was still able to get it over the bracket though.

Also, even though I was able to get the flap installed with cutting the fender liner as you did, it was not perpendicular to the ground. I ended up removing the fender liner and cutting a slot about 3/4 of the way from the outside edge towards the inside edge to allow more room for the flap to be inserted.

For the passenger side, I was unable to place the flap on the bracket at all until I cut the slot from the outside edge towards the inside edge. It took me quite a while and several attempts to get this to work. Mine are installed and I don't want to pull them back off right now to take pictures because it took me a while to install them.

Having said all of that, I feel pretty good about these mud flaps now because of several reasons:
1. They look pretty good to me. The angled portion at the top outside edge matches the JL body lines well in my eyes.
2. I was able to reinstall the lower fender liners so that mud/salt is no longer being flung up inside the wheel well and rear bumper. Without that liner, one edge of the lower body panel is directly in line for rocks to strike it behind the rear wheel.
3. I chose black on black. Although I can see the RB logo if I look for it, it isn't even legible from a few feet away and the color goes well with the black unpainted fenders. I have Punk'n paint and I really didn't like the way the orange colored flaps looked on the sample photos on the RokBlokz website.
4. The flaps prevent much of the splash I was getting up the side of my doors. I also feel like the rear window doesn't get as much road spray while driving on wet roads. My 2 door really did send a lot of spray to the rear window without the mud flaps and I "feel" like that issue is improved.

I have the standard sized flaps on a 2019 Rubicon with factory tires and no lift. The flaps are probably less than 1 inch wider than the tires. The fronts are not adjustable and I have the rears adjusted to match the fronts, with about 1 inch of the slanted area at the top inside the fender flare.

Sponsored

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Would love to see some pictures of these installed on your Jeep, I also have the Punk'n color, would have loved if the orange was more of the body color of orange. I am also just considering black.
Here are some pictures with about 40 miles driving with mostly dry roads with some occasional big puddles.

IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg
file4_1.jpeg
file1-3_1.jpeg
file3_1.jpeg
file5_1.jpeg
file6_1.jpeg
file2_1.jpeg
file-11_1.jpeg

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I've been considering these... I have body-color fenders (red), but I'm not sure I like how they look on the website. Black/black may be the way to go.

@HoosierJL , thank you for sharing this.

By the by, do these guys offer any discount?

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I did not attach mine like you did. I put the entire flap behind the front fender liner and ran all 3 of the plastic headed screws in from the front through the fender liner, then the metal connector on the mud flap. This is how I understood the instructions and it makes them easy to remove as all 3 screws are right next to each other inside the fender well.
You do realize that you made it much more difficult on yourself than necessary and didn't install them the way they're shown in the instructions, right? All three thumb screws should be visible in the tire area. You should not have the threads sticking out.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mudflaps-and-rubicon-flares.4435/page-11#post-587725

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I've been considering these... I have body-color fenders (red), but I'm not sure I like how they look on the website. Black/black may be the way to go.

@HoosierJL , thank you for sharing this.

By the by, do these guys offer any discount?
I didn't find a discount or ask for one.

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
You do realize that you made it much more difficult on yourself than necessary and didn't install them the way they're shown in the instructions, right? All three thumb screws should be visible in the tire area. You should not have the threads sticking out.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mudflaps-and-rubicon-flares.4435/page-11#post-587725
I believe I did install them per the instructions and they weren't difficult to install at all (the fronts). All 3 thumb screws are visible and no threads are sticking out. Perhaps you mistook my photos for someone else's? Here is my front driver side mount.

file1-3_1.jpeg

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I did install them per the instructions and they weren't difficult to install at all (the fronts). All 3 thumb screws are visible and no threads are sticking out. Perhaps you mistook my photos for someone else's? Here is my front driver side mount.

file1-3_1.jpeg
My fault, I meant to quote @lightsout

His top two are screwed in the reverse of how they should be

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My fault, I meant to quote @lightsout

His top two are screwed in the reverse of how they should be

I did not want the plastic heads in the wheel well they will just get broken from rocks and debris which why I reversed them. It accomplishes the same thing. Unfortunately the one onside bold has no choice

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Pix of regular size rokblokz on a 37" tire anyone? I'd probably get used to it but I don't particularly care for how the XL size sticks out so far and my 12.5" width tires don't really stick out past the fenders. Anyone else go this route?

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I did not want the plastic heads in the wheel well they will just get broken from rocks and debris which why I reversed them. It accomplishes the same thing. Unfortunately the one onside bold has no choice
As a few others have done, I swapped out the supplied thumb screws with black cap head machine screws as I don't see myself removing them very often, but still possible with an allen wrench. I also added a screw cap / washer piece, also black, which is sort of a combination of a washer and a hinged cap lid for a finished look.
Sponsored