Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I swapped out the supplied thumb screws with black cap head machine screws
Where did you find the caps...locally or online? Can you give any more details of what you used, or maybe a link of online?

I think I finally going to give in and order the regular ones. They don't seem to want to respond to my latest email asking about longer regular length versions, so I assume they aren't interested in doing them.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
As a few others have done, I swapped out the supplied thumb screws with black cap head machine screws as I don't see myself removing them very often, but still possible with an allen wrench. I also added a screw cap / washer piece, also black, which is sort of a combination of a washer and a hinged cap lid for a finished look.
I will likely do the same, I keep a small battery powered screw driver which would make it fast and easy to remove allens anyway.

KTLucy

First Name
Kimberley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2door Ocean Blue Rubicon & 2014 Mini Cooper Roadster S
The XL’s have 4-5 inches of travel available. I have mine in all the way.
Disregard my question earlier!! I just got my answer.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Where did you find the caps...locally or online? Can you give any more details of what you used, or maybe a link of online?

I think I finally going to give in and order the regular ones. They don't seem to want to respond to my latest email asking about longer regular length versions, so I assume they aren't interested in doing them.
Attached is a pic of a "hinged screw cap / cover" similar to what I bought. I sourced the caps and black pan head allen machine screws at my local hardware store. The pic is from one of many I see on Amazon. Tip. . . make sure the screw you use fits in the hinged cover piece i.e. the hole sizes match and the screw you buy isn't too tall to fit inside the cover to allow it to snap shut.

I'm not sure how the plastic hinged cover will last, but I obviously think it's worth a try. If I find that I never take off the flaps, I can always omit the hinged cap and pair the machine screw with a black washer. That option might be more of a "fixed / semi-permanent" solution as the exposed screw would get gunked up, so it could be fussier / slower to remove it. One other idea I didn't go with, but could, is to use a flat head "elevator" bolt and add another washer / lock nut on the back side. An elevator style bolt has a very flat head with no wrench or screwdriver hole in the face; it would take a beating and not collect road gunk (like the OEM thumb screw); you tighten it via the additional nut on the back side.

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 8.58.08 AM.png

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The other day after a rain on the wet roads I drove with the XL mud flaps not a single drop on the doors or rear fender so for me owning a Black Wrangler this was a huge win. AS mentioned I only purchased the fronts and not the rear, after that drive frankly there was little water throw onto the jeep from the rear tires. So I will NOT be adding rear mud flaps.

mudflaps%202_zpsxo0ahxon.jpg

Mudflaps%207_zps6nbz041m.jpg

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I failed to mention that when I performed my install I was able to install all 4 mud flaps without having to remove a tire. The instructions say you may need to remove the tires to have enough room to install.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
For inspiration

2018_Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Rokblokz_Black_Red-32_1024x1024.jpg

2018_Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Rokblokz_Black_Red-28_1024x1024.jpg

2018_Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Rokblokz_Mud_flaps_Orange_black_Logo_7_1024x1024.jpg
I like it, are those the XL? I'm not sure I like the cut out for the rails. I'm planning to install some powered steps and it will leave a hole. Do you think they would fit you rubi rails if the hole wasn't there?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You can order them without the cutout. The one above are not the XL's

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Installed! Now I wait to see how well they work... Anyone have concerns about the screw clamps falling out while wheeling with flaps removed? Mine didn't seem especially tight. Suppose i can just pull those with the screws.

Overall seems like a pretty nice product - not that I've ever paid $40 for a single mud flap before...

v_p_Iw55ryrUE-yr8gmrJJXRp58HXM2phXFBqstSNeOxCJMlPBms11CSNNCg_yhFsuDb73xX8kpnOXxN_U=w666-h1368-no.jpg

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I finally broke down and got a set of the regular ones. Installed them yesterday. I can see now why the rears cost so much more...quite a bit to those. Fronts take no time at all to install, the rears took a bit of effort, especially trimming the fender liner in order to retain it. It's quite a tight squeeze in the rear between the new bracket for the mud flaps and the outer bumper bracket that appears to have been omitted in Luis's images of his mod. Had to trim the liner a good bit wider than his example as well, but it still fit. That said, the force fit of everything together seemed to me that the fender liner is pretty much forced into place and not going anywhere, so I did not add the new screw at the top the way he did, opting for a few strategic pieces of industrial two-face tape. I would have preferred to scoot the rear flaps inward a little more to better center on the tires, but they can only go so far inward with the liner in place. They are close enough that the compromise is worth it to keep the fender liner.

As for the bright exposed metal hardware and gray thumb screws, I hit the jackpot for the front. Saw they were M6 screws in the paperwork, so I looked in all my extra home theater junk and found a set of black M6 screws I had leftover from an old universal TV mount. (Score one for never throwing away old screws/nuts/bolts!
lol.gif
). Fit perfectly for the fronts. For the rear, once I got the flaps assembled, I taped off the raised portion with all the metal hardware that is exposed, and hit it with a few layers of black plastidip. No telling how long it will last, but color match was spot-on and looks better than all that bright metal in the wheel well.

On to some pics:

upload_2019-3-24_10-25-34.png

upload_2019-3-24_10-26-36.png

upload_2019-3-24_10-27-20.png

upload_2019-3-24_10-28-1.png

upload_2019-3-24_10-28-40.png

upload_2019-3-24_10-29-13.png

upload_2019-3-24_10-30-32.png

Be interesting to see how it does in rainy weather tomorrow. I'm still of the firm opinion that the fronts are too short, especially after seeing them in person now, but they are better than nothing, and they don't look bad at all, IMO. Could easily be a couple inches longer for on-road travel, since easily removable for off-road. The XLs would obviously be better for their length, but would look too weird with a stock setup, to my taste at least. I kept asking if they might make a set that was regular width but longer but they were apparently not interested as they stopped responding to those inquiries. Maybe they will someday.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Got my RokBlokz XLs installed. I tweaked a few things. First was using black cap-head screws on the front that I could technically hand loosen, but I'll have allen wrenches with me any time I'm going offroad anyways. The second was to use the plastic screw covers that @jeepixel mentioned. Ultimately they're all hidden in the fender well, but if I end up extending them they will be there. I may come back with plastidip like @DWS44 used. I picked up all the hardware at Home Depot and will include a picture below for part numbers.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I've ordered and installed these (https://www.extremeterrain.com/jeep-logo-mud-guards-1119-j102026.html). They also have a shorter (9X15) version available.
upload_2018-8-10_13-39-7.png

Front:
upload_2018-8-10_13-29-50.png

I used the existing rivet holes. Because the upper two holes are not on the same plane as the lower two, the flat rubber mudflaps are bent and plastic rivets won't hold them in place. So I use used stainless 1/4" machine screws, nuts, flat washers and spring washers to hold the bottom 3 holes. I was able to still use the plastic rivets on the top holes
upload_2018-8-10_13-30-29.png

Rear:
upload_2018-8-10_13-40-1.png

The rear mudflaps required considerable trimming to fit. I mounted the rear using only two bolts (the top portion stay ed against the rear fender so I see no need for additional faster, for now). The outer hole (right on the photo) is the existing rivet hole. The inner hole (left on the photo) is from the steel bracket I located behind the inner fender. I used an auger to pierce a hole from inside This portion of the inner rear fenders can be easily removed (by removing two sheet metal screws) to drill the 1/4" holes.
upload_2018-8-10_13-41-21.png
Question for you bud..

I'm lifted 2", 35" tires with spacers...thing the smaller version will be to small?

Trying to gauge by your photo but difficult.

I like yours but I dont want huge flaps either.

You have any additional photos preferably directly from behind and the profile view of Jeep?

Thank you so much
Sponsored