Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
If I were going to live full time I would definitely make the jump up to a ARB Dual so you could mount in the engine bay or under the front seat.

What I've done to make the 2781 more friendly is..

- Got a nice quality and slightly bigger bag from Harbor Freight (makes packing and unpacking a breeze and allows my to consolidate my tire repair stuff into one bag)
- I ran an Anderson connector with large gauge wire from the battery to behind my steel bumper. I trimmed the end off the compressor and added the matching Anderson connector. (this allows me to connect the compressor without having to open the hood)

I do still consider hard mounting it in the rear cubby with the Rusty's mount. I will want to have the XG gamma bags for rear storage to replace the lost cubby space.
Thanks for the tip here on that bag. I pretty much duplicated what you did above. This works well for me and my purposes. I did add the Speed-flate two tire inflation set up and replaced the Smitty Built Japanese connections to Milton connections. Now my compressor fits my other stuff and the Speed-Flate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the tip here on that bag. I pretty much duplicated what you did above. This works well for me and my purposes. I did add the Speed-flate two tire inflation set up and replaced the Smitty Built Japanese connections to Milton connections. Now my compressor fits my other stuff and the Speed-Flate.

Awesome, glad to hear!

I have since converted to standard connectors and added in a dual inflator setup. Sounds like we're still matching haha

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Awesome, glad to hear!

I have since converted to standard connectors and added in a dual inflator setup. Sounds like we're still matching haha

LoL.....I really like that tote you said above. Fits the Smitty Built perfect....along with all my handy tools and tire gear. I see you are in Phoenix.....I'm on the west side of the valley.....you? Been busy getting my rig quite trail ready......lots to buy and install....but at this point I feel pretty capable with my equipment for trails in the 5 / 6 catagory. I think I am quite satisfied with my air system for now.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
LoL.....I really like that tote you said above. Fits the Smitty Built perfect....along with all my handy tools and tire gear. I see you are in Phoenix.....I'm on the west side of the valley.....you? Been busy getting my rig quite trail ready......lots to buy and install....but at this point I feel pretty capable with my equipment for trails in the 5 / 6 catagory. I think I am quite satisfied with my air system for now.
I'm in Mesa. Taking full advantage of this weather. Went tropless for the first time recently.

Went out to Box Canyon Florence today.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I’m interested in doing this as well. Does anyone have pictures under the hood of how you ran the wire and added the inline fuse? I’ve already chopped my compressor hoses to fit the standard quick connects and my Speedflate 4x system. I want to add the Anderson connections so I don’t have to keep going under the hood.

Need: 10ft of 8 gaugewire? (2)Anderson quick connections, and a 45-50amp inline fuse?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m interested in doing this as well. Does anyone have pictures under the hood of how you ran the wire and added the inline fuse? I’ve already chopped my compressor hoses to fit the standard quick connects and my Speedflate 4x system. I want to add the Anderson connections so I don’t have to keep going under the hood.

Need: 10ft of 8 gaugewire? (2)Anderson quick connections, and a 45-50amp inline fuse?
Sorry don't have any pics but you've got the right idea. I have a large car audio style fuse in the area between the fender and the battery. I have the wiring drop in along the frame rail after coming in by the grill and radiator.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well,

I mounted the 2781 in the cargo area full time. I recorded as much as possible but towards the end I wasn't able to record everything. I also ran into an issue with the pressure switch so had to take it out for a more simple install. For now. I'll figure out the pressure switch issue when I have more time. Being New Years Eve yesterday I didn't have enough time to troubleshoot.

20201231_184758.jpg
20201231_184805.jpg
20201231_184813.jpg

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Well,

I mounted the 2781 in the cargo area full time. I recorded as much as possible but towards the end I wasn't able to record everything. I also ran into an issue with the pressure switch so had to take it out for a more simple install. For now. I'll figure out the pressure switch issue when I have more time. Being New Years Eve yesterday I didn't have enough time to troubleshoot.

20201231_184758.jpg
20201231_184805.jpg
20201231_184813.jpg
Hey ! I see you run your smittybuilt compressor sideways. Have you experienced any issues with it running sideways? Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey ! I see you rub your smittybuilt compressor sideways. Have you experienced any issues with it running sideways? Thanks!
Nope!

Been running great. Completely meant to upload a video of the install.

But it is going strong. No issues. Super happy with the install.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope!

Been running great. Completely meant to upload a video of the install.

But it is going strong. No issues. Super happy with the install.
That is great to know!.. thanks!.. I was curious and I disassembled most of the air compressor.. a big mistake LOL as the rubber seals in the piston mechanism stretched and it was impossible to reinstall them..LOL... I installed the air compressor under the driver seat and my plan is to attach it to an air tank so I can also use air tools on the trail.. fun project !!

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That is great to know!.. thanks!.. I was curious and I disassembled most of the air compressor.. a big mistake LOL as the rubber seals in the piston mechanism stretched and it was impossible to reinstall them..LOL... I installed the air compressor under the driver seat and my plan is to attach it to an air tank so I can also use air tools on the trail.. fun project !!
You had room for it under the driver's seat??

I think mine might have died on me today. Filled three 37s no problem, but with the 4th it just sat there at 14 psi. Hopefully it just overheated even though it was only about 80 today.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You had room for it under the driver's seat??

I think mine might have died on me today. Filled three 37s no problem, but with the 4th it just sat there at 14 psi. Hopefully it just overheated even though it was only about 80 today.
Well.. .I would not say my compressor is exactly under the driver seat.. as I do not have rear seats and I have some storage I made on the rear floor and my compressor is installed kinda sorta under the seat but more on the outside ... however, I think that if you install the bulky SmittyBuilt on the side is possible to install it under the driver seat.. I have a Sport model so I have no idea if a Rubicon seat has more stuff underneath that would prevent installing the compressor... but I imagine so since the Rubicon driver seat has electric motors to move the seat? I am only guessing... I guess the only other option would be ARB smaller compressors.. I think I have seen it done here in the forums.. but I am a cheap bastard, so SmittyBuilt for me.. LOL..

So your SmittyBuilt compressor died on you?.. ouch... when I disassembled mine it had some sort of black soot in the piston and cylinder .. no idea if something like that could cause it to fail... the seal around the piston is some sort of cheap hard rubber... I imagine if anything is going to fail on this compressor it would be that rubber seal... which is a shame since is a quite rugged compressor, I have used it in mud... sand, dirt, snow, and it has always been good to me..

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

There's just very little room under the driver's seat. No motors or anything (that's not an option).

I'm not sure it's it's dead. It simply stopped producing enough air to fill the last tire. No change in sound or anything. Just stopped filling.

Axel_7

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JEEP JKU
Well,

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting a Smittybilt 2781 Compressor? 20210801_140242
Its been some time now, How did you deal with air flow with it in the storage area?
Sponsored