Motorcycle versus Wrangler

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Different but the Same!! Driving versus Riding is Different. Everything else is the same. At least compared to a Harley Davidson anyway.

1. Both will get you exposed to the elements wind in your face.

2. Both have a massive aftermarket for parts and accessories.

3. Both have a huge Cult like following.

4. Both can take you on travel adventures.

5. Both have Clubs you can join and big events to go too.

I can make the list longer but you get the idea. One thing I will say is when you're on a motorcycle you have to have eyes up your ass and on your A game 100% of the time your life depends on it. With a Jeep you can be more relaxed and enjoy the drive.

I sold my Harley with plans on getting another. But then the prices skyrocketed and now I have my Jeep and honestly I don't know if I'll buy another bike. The Jeep has been filling the void nicely believe it or not. Even right up to all the annoying waves just like having a Harley. 🤣
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Being an ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) rider, its not the same. In the Jeep with the too down and doors off, I'll have a t-shirt, shorts and shoes/flipflops. On my motorcycles, I have a helmet, armored jacket, gloves, long pants/armored riding pants, boots.

For me, the motorcycles are the thrill of the ride... the solitude, the curves, the intensity, the focus. If I want wind blowing all around, the Jeep wins, hands down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motorcycle versus Wrangler 20180421_172239

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
had a few bikes and on multiple Jeeps and not sure I would have ever thought to ask how the 2 compare. There is zero similarity other than open air. The experience is much different with each one and one doesn't necessarily replace the other. currently have a JLUR and would still have a bike if I didn't live in such a highly congested area or had more time to get out n to the country to ride.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
Hi all,
Not-so-long time stalker and first time poster, I’ve been recently comparing various vehicles to purchase but wanted to hear opinions from current motorcycle owners or previous owners.
How does driving in a wrangler compare to driving a motorcycle? Are they comparable? I’m not talking about speed and adrenaline, but that feeling of being in the open air and feeling free driving around town or on backroads. It’s almost an indescribable feeling but I just wanted to know if there were some people who knew what I was talking about and could give their full input on it comparing that feeling on two wheels versus four.
Appreciate y’all in advance!
I get what you are saying. I was just talking to some guys at work yesterday about bikes and jeeps and I told them, I will always miss riding a bike. There just isn't anything like it. I got my first jeep as a consolation when I gave up my street bike. The jeep is a totally different experience, at least compared to sport bikes. I might try to liken it to a goldwing or full dresser, but never really spent much time on either. Heck, even riding my dirt bike is a totally different experience than riding a street bike. The jeep is a much more usable type of enjoyment for us. My wife loves riding around in the jeep, not so much as passenger on bike. The jeep is something we both love to do, the bike was more something I loved to do. For us, the name of the game is relaxing. We pretty much road farm around home and then take it on vacation to road farm rougher more scenic roads. I guess you could say, jeeps are great at getting off the beaten path and motorcycles (sport bikes) are meant to stay on pavement. Of course, there is always an adventure bike. 🤔
I think the best advice here was to try and go rent a jeep or borrow one from a buddy to see what it's like. But be careful, you might end up loving it. Just remember, not everyone is a jeep person, it may not be to you what it is to me. There is a reason for the saying, "It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". I guess what I'm saying is, don't buy a jeep to be part of the club, but if you buy a jeep you are part of a club. Maybe consider a Can-Am Spyder or Slingshot? It really depends on what intentions/use you are looking for.

Sponsored

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
As a motorcycle ride for 35+ years I will say they are both totally different, yet very much the same. Really to me the actually emotions are very different (even if riding with a group a motorcycle to me is a very solitary experience, kind of at one with the bike and the world, very zen, while the Jeep is more of a fun type experience), but (I am assuming riding with the top down here) both have a certain feeling of freedom you can't get in a regular car.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
I just noticed one similarity so far in some of the posts on here. There are several of us that have given up bikes and got jeeps and seem satisfied. I wonder, if you check out a bike forum, are there guys who are giving up jeeps for bikes and being satisfied? 🤔

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed one similarity so far in some of the posts on here. There are several of us that have given up bikes and got jeeps and seem satisfied. I wonder, if you check out a bike forum, are there guys who are giving up jeeps for bikes and being satisfied? 🤔
I doubt it. If I rode full time I'd be miserable on rainy days, lol.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
For the OP, I often find that I get more of an open air experience in the Jeep than I do on the Yamaha. I'm not a squid so I'm in a full face helmet, riding jacket, gloves, long jeans and steel toe boots...

Still, there's nothing quite like a V-Twin and cobra pipes. Gotta love it!

Jeep Wrangler JL Motorcycle versus Wrangler 1658327669022

Last edited:

Sponsored

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
If you dress like this and get hit by a car on your motorcycle, you will get a TERRIBLE case of road rash.

If you dress like this in your Jeep and roll your Jeep (with your seatbelt on) you will probably be ok.

P.S. Looks like a nice location for biking tho.
Thank you, but we made the decision to do so understanding the risks involved. Once my wife got pregnant I sold the bike, I knew it was a matter of time before something went bad … and with a baby the reward was no longer worth the risk.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Motorcycle : Not as safe, especially nowadays with the texting/driving, one too many close calls made me decide to get rid of mine. Feeling of freedom but you are directly affected by road conditions and weather and have to wear gear and helmet ( most places anyway). Seasonal depending where you live.

Jeep : Totally safe, feeling of freedom, especially with the doors off. Couldn't care less about road conditions and depends on your set-up regarding weather. No gear to wear, you can actually go naked, but then traffic becomes a danger. Year-round toy.

8302AE9B-49DD-4DAD-80EF-CCFCB29CE483.jpeg

OP
OP
sovietspacedog
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Triumph Speed Triple
I actually was just thinking this as I scrolled through all of the posts! Haha it seems like a natural progression. But in all seriousness, it is very interesting to see how a lot of jeep owners were previous motorcycle owners. So even if they aren’t EXACTLY the same, they still seem to scratch some sort of small itch from what it seems? 🤷🏼‍♂️

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I didn't read all of the posts, but many of the responses I did read are comparing road bikes to a Wrangler; not unlike driving a Ferrari vs Wrangler.

I've been riding for almost 40 years and I would say there are similarities, but I ride a dual sport bike. I've never had my (current) motorcycle on a freeway or Interstate, only back roads and dirt. I'd say it's similar to having a Wrangler. A previous sport bike I owned would be almost nothing like having a Wrangler. Having a motorcycle in the summer is hot. So is a Wrangler with the top down.

Taking a Wrangler (no doors or top) on forest service roads isn't unlike taking a dual sport on forest service roads, but they're different.

Garry in AZ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
Okay, I think I'm qualified to chime in here. I'm in my 60's, and I have been riding and racing motorcycles since the mid '70's. I currently own and ride five different bikes, from dual sports to touring bikes, accumulating 25k to 40k miles a year on them. When it's not 110 in the shade like it is now, I'll always ride a bike if it's a option. I have more than 700,000 miles on motorcycles, I am a member of the AMA's LongRider program, and the Iron Butt Association (long distance endurance riding) and a two time finisher of the Iron Butt Rally. (Google it)
I have also owned seven Jeeps, beginning in the early '80's, so take from the following what you will.

I think the experiences are very different. On a motorcycle, you are much more connected to the machine, and the surface you are riding on. You are more aware, and generally more alert and that tends to heighten the enjoyment of the open air, the smells, the temperature, everything seems a little more "alive" on a motorcycle.
In a Jeep, you still get the enjoyment of open air travel, but you are much more disconnected from the surface you are on, more easily distracted, and it lacks the increased sense of awareness I get from a motorcycle.
Both can be very enjoyable for sure, but I feel much more connected to and more in touch with my surroundings on a bike.
Sponsored