Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Ah shoot.... I haven’t had my coffee yet. Well played.
Sorry man....I couldn't help but swing at that one. :) No offense.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
But if the parts are there and you never use them, do they really exist????
How is a loaded up Sahara immune from this ridicule? I mean same arguments apply. At least you get a cool hood and side steps with the moab order package
I think its all in good fun . HOWEVER, in reality serious peeps would likely get a base sport and spend 12 k on axles and suspension. Oh and tires, 40-42 inch... atlas tcase more money there.... id honestly like a large radio and touch screen navi in mine... winch , steel bumpers... starting to
Add up.

Bump down a couple tiers and you run a rubicon with lockers and 4:1 case, bigger brakes, mine has heated leather, 8.4 upgrade and all the other stuff. This will run 35’s without any problems and youll have a reasonably capable rig that will last many years!

Problem with Sahara:

Low gearing and worse re-gearing is stupid because of the small size of the carrier in a d30 low spline count.

Adding a locker again same concept , putting a locker dropping all that cash on locking a small axle that is more likely to break under hard use.

Possibly bending an end forging with heavy 35 set up and most likely on a 37 heavy.

Moab looks like it would bridge the gap but it falls short in the key areas that one would find advantageous to run larger tires without a problem. So what then ? Upgrade axles in an already expensive 52k truck? Still wont have the tcase- which believe me isnt a huge issue but it goes help out a lot. You still would have to lock the rear at some point becase limited slips suck on a trail and are actually dangerous in my point of view. They force you to hop the truck more and make for popping u joints and shafts. So in the end you have a truck that you have to swap the front axle and open up the diff in the rear and re-gear both to 4.88 - 5-13 depending in flavor.... thats a lot of dough to spend for something youll likely thrash eventually on the rocks haha

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I think its all in good fun . HOWEVER, in reality serious peeps would likely get a base sport and spend 12 k on axles and suspension. Oh and tires, 40-42 inch... atlas tcase more money there.... id honestly like a large radio and touch screen navi in mine... winch , steel bumpers... starting to
Add up.

Bump down a couple tiers and you run a rubicon with lockers and 4:1 case, bigger brakes, mine has heated leather, 8.4 upgrade and all the other stuff. This will run 35’s without any problems and youll have a reasonably capable rig that will last many years!

Problem with Sahara:

Low gearing and worse re-gearing is stupid because of the small size of the carrier in a d30 low spline count.

Adding a locker again same concept , putting a locker dropping all that cash on locking a small axle that is more likely to break under hard use.

Possibly bending an end forging with heavy 35 set up and most likely on a 37 heavy.

Moab looks like it would bridge the gap but it falls short in the key areas that one would find advantageous to run larger tires without a problem. So what then ? Upgrade axles in an already expensive 52k truck? Still wont have the tcase- which believe me isnt a huge issue but it goes help out a lot. You still would have to lock the rear at some point becase limited slips suck on a trail and are actually dangerous in my point of view. They force you to hop the truck more and make for popping u joints and shafts. So in the end you have a truck that you have to swap the front axle and open up the diff in the rear and re-gear both to 4.88 - 5-13 depending in flavor.... thats a lot of dough to spend for something youll likely thrash eventually on the rocks haha
All fair points but to be honest, odds are people aren’t going to upgrade the axles, gears and etc., some just want a SUV that is a Jeep and that’s what they’re getting with a Sahara or MOAB. Like it has been mentioned, 95% of Rubi owners won’t even go on a trail so the chances a Sahara or MOAB owner does is even lower. This is my first Jeep and I can guarantee my next Jeep will be a Rubicon but hell, I can’t guarantee I would off-road any more than I do now. For now, I do appreciate the off-road capabailites all jeeps do offer plus the luxury the JL brings. Later in life, when I have more free time, I would hope I can take the Rubi out for some weekend trails.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Add up.

Bump down a couple tiers and you run a rubicon with lockers and 4:1 case, bigger brakes, mine has heated leather, 8.4 upgrade and all the other stuff. This will run

Problem with Sahara:

If you bend and C on a 30 your going to do the same on the 44 since they are sharing the same parts much like the JK era. Only real difference is axle shaft and ring and pinion size, throw a set of chromes in and if you regear don’t hop the axle
I’d be more worried about the Rubicon guys throwing away money for a sway bar that is going to fail and lockers that won’t engage or disengage in a few years, least the Moab guys got a plush ride out of the deal

macycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thus the reason for name of this thread :)
When I was trying to decide which one to get, I came up with an approximately $1500 dollar difference between an equivalently optioned Rubicon versus a Moab (with the Rubicon being a bit more expensive). Since the Moab is loaded with lots of options, an apples to apples comparison should be based on a Rubicon with equivalent options.

The Rubi is definitely more capable for hardcore offroading with
4.10:1 axle gear ratio and 33" all-terrain tires vs. 3.45:1 axle gear ratio and 32" mud-terrain tires
Electronic fully locking front and rear differentials vs. limited slip front and rear differentials
Sway bar disconnect vs. n/a
4:1 Rock-Trac HD part time 4WD System vs. 2.72:1 Selec-Trac full time 4WD system
Front and rear steel bumpers vs. Front steel bumper only

A key point though is that one could order a Rubicon with fewer options at a significantly lower price.

So guess which one I ordered (hopefully it will be built any day now) ......

I ordered a Rubicon! My thinking was that for not too much more money, I would get all the advantages of the Rubicon listed above with no drawbacks under most driving conditions (especially here in sunny SoCal).
Actually, a Rubicon with the same options as a Moab is about $1500 more (see my quoted post from earlier in this thread).

And by the way, my Rubicon arrived at the dealer's and is ready to be picked up!

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Add up.

Problem with Sahara:

Side note,
The Dana 30 in JL or 186 whatever you wanna call it. Can it handle a heavy 35 stock?

Right now I see my rig having 37s under it eventually and leaving the 186 alone and just going straight to a ultimate44 for the front with gears and locker and the rear maybe just a truss, shafts and regear of course.

But in the meantime, what can a sport JL handle? Mines manual with the upgraded rear axle of course

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Side note,
The Dana 30 in JL or 186 whatever you wanna call it. Can it handle a heavy 35 stock?

Right now I see my rig having 37s under it eventually and leaving the 186 alone and just going straight to a ultimate44 for the front with gears and locker and the rear maybe just a truss, shafts and regear of course.

But in the meantime, what can a sport JL handle? Mines manual with the upgraded rear axle of course
The 186 will handle a 35 just fine, and 37’s if your smart (no axle hop)
I’ve wheeled 35’s on my JK Dana 30 for years with no issues and the JK axle is a twig in comparison to the new M186.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The 186 will handle a 35 just fine, and 37’s if your smart (no axle hop)
I’ve wheeled 35’s on my JK Dana 30 for years with no issues and the JK axle is a twig in comparison to the new M186.

wait, no lockers? i call shenanigans!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Actually, a Rubicon with the same options as a Moab is about $1500 more (see my quoted post from earlier in this thread).

And by the way, my Rubicon arrived at the dealer's and is ready to be picked up!
True. And the Rubicon does not have full time AWD. It has other stuff (lockers, gears, etc). The issue to me is plain:

Rubicon= best factory OEM rock crawling machine available. And, if you use it this way, there is no equal. But, if you don’t use it that way....
Any other Jeep have has a potentially better value prop than a Rubicon.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Does your belly button exist?
Have you ever really stared at your belly button? It’s a weird looking thing when you actually pay attention to it. That, I can live without haha.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.