MOAB Edition JL Club Thread

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Love the uniqueness of the MOAB and plan to keep it for a while, unless Jeep decides to repeat the concept with a refreshed MOAB. MOAB thread seems quiet these days, but I figured I would start here with a MOAB specific tire question. Got a stock MOAB that I'm looking to change the OEM KM2 tires without a lift/spacers or tailgate reinforcement. I know I'm safe with the 285/70/17 without issues and was thinking of going KO2s or Ultraterrains, but wanted to poll the crowd on favorite tires. Also wanted to know experience with 34s and 35s on a MOAB. They are a bit unnecessary for everyday use but, complete the look nicely. Seems like people have put on 315/70/17 sans lift (@tatarin @JLJeep313 @trimnabo) with no rub and wanted to confirm that and get real world driving input on the. Other question is has anyone split the difference and gone with a 34s (@ictdog) on the MOAB? Want to keep the stock wheels, fenders, and bumpers on it for now, but go with a bigger tire. The impractical kid in me is thinking I should go as large as I can with the tires.
First, if you do it for looks, stop at 285/70r17, since the Moab or any JL with the lower fender line, just look wrong with 315/70-17 as the fenders are way too stuffed on stock suspension. Consider at the very least, a 1.5-2 inch spacer or coil lift.

Second, the Moab has 3.45 axle gearing. So while I was able to go with 285/70r17 and hardly notice the Tire upsize, I did feel tremendous impact moving one size up to 34s (305/70r17). It was at that point that I realized I had gone too far and decided to have my axles regeared to 4.56 with 315/70-17 like what the XR comes stock with.

The satisfaction of having my Jeep turn the big rubber with as much ease as it did the stock tires has to be experienced to appreciate.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I got another question to Moab owners, especially those of you that modify them. What is your reason for running the full bumper rather than stubby it, since it's so easy ???
Not a Moab owner myself, but a wannabe Saharicon with the OEM steel front bumper. I run full width on the street just to have the extra protection for my tires, but I remove the wings if I'm going to hit the trails.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Not a Moab owner myself, but a wannabe Saharicon with the OEM steel front bumper. I run full width on the street just to have the extra protection for my tires, but I remove the wings if I'm going to hit the trails.
Yeah, like it was intended to be. Personally, I like the looks of the stubby so much, that I just can’t convince myself the put the end caps back-on.

IMG_3097.jpeg

HardRockSteele67

First Name
Kutt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Eng.
Vehicle Showcase
I was Sad, but she was happy- Back in February of 22' I flew to Kentucky to pick-up my Blue TRX and the Dealership had a sold Tuscarora (PINK) 392 Rubicon parked next to my truck. The wife said if we had driven her 18' Moab it would have been a swap - Alas the dealer laughed and said it was sold already and we never saw another one until last week driving to the Gym she appeared at a used lot. Happy wife happy life - No I wont be painting the H2 to match -lol

20230628_165621000_iOS.jpg

20230701_005433668_iOS.jpg

20230626_194829323_iOS.jpg

Sponsored

llbeam

First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JL Moab
I've been a long time lurker here, so thought I'd finally post something.

I just installed the AEV DualSport RT 2.5" lift over the weekend and got some new BFG KO2s installed! Really loving everything about it so far, minus some rubbing (spacers coming soon). I'm new to mods and auto work in general, so this was definitely a learning experience. I think I'm hooked!!
Jeep Wrangler JL MOAB Edition JL Club Thread IMG_5289

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome aboard! 👍