First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
not worth it. shop around and find a better deal.

dogs162910

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited
I NEVER pay doc fees, in fact whenever I buy a vehicle the first thing i tell them is I'm not paying your junk fees. Why pay them to do their own paperwork? Besides $699 is ridiculous. If you think about it, the person doing the paperwork is probably making around $15 per hour. At that rate, they are saying it takes 46.6 hours to do the paperwork?

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
2 previous owners? On a 2 year old vehicle? RUN RUN AWAY!
I agree with GreyFox

This is not THE Jeep. Keep shopping

*Edit* - Sorry, posting too early with too little coffee. Didn’t see that date on the post and that this ship has sailed. Good luck on your search

Sponsored

tmrobert8

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
I'm from NC and bought a new 2020 sahara a few months ago (love it). I couldn't find any NC based dealers that were will to really negotiate (I was also looking at a 2018 but they were going to 'give it to me' for more than I ended up buying the 2020). I ended up buying from Leon at Criswell jeeps up in MD. Only a 4 hour drive (stayed the night), low fees (doc fees and you pay NC taxes - not MD taxes) plus the 7% below invoice. Was kinda a no-brainer.

Tim

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Run, don't walk and find yourself a new dealer and a new Jeep...

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2004 Ford Ranger XLT
I'm in NC - Raleigh - try Leith on Capital Blvd.
That's the main dealer network I have been looking at. Mostly because my brother and buddy work as techs at one of their dealers. And I ended up lucking out! My brother spotted a great looking 16 JKUR Hard Rock the day it was traded in and I ended up scooping it up. While not the JL I was originally looking at I'm loving my choice!

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I'd walk, that sounds like the dealer trying to rip you off. Up here in Canada I can buy a used Rubicon for that price in Canadian dollars which is about 35% less then your US dollars. And if I converted your 50k into Canadian dollars I could buy a brand new 2020 for that money.

Sponsored

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
I'm from NC and bought a new 2020 sahara a few months ago (love it). I couldn't find any NC based dealers that were will to really negotiate (I was also looking at a 2018 but they were going to 'give it to me' for more than I ended up buying the 2020). I ended up buying from Leon at Criswell jeeps up in MD. Only a 4 hour drive (stayed the night), low fees (doc fees and you pay NC taxes - not MD taxes) plus the 7% below invoice. Was kinda a no-brainer.

Tim
If anyone in the Raleigh market is shopping don't waste your time go to a VA-MD dealer and save $$$$. I purchased a 2018 JLU Sahara from a Fairfax VA dealer for less than what the local dealerships would take for a sport S. I even took the deal space sheet with vin# and asked my local dealerships ( Garner cjd) if they could match it and they couldn't, wouldn't.

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
Hi all! New to the forums and new to looking at a JL. Not a first time owner though, had a 2007 JK a while back and traded it for my current Ranger. Onto my question!

I went and saw a beautiful Mojito 2018 Rubicon 4 door that was pretty much fully loaded: body color hard top, body color fenders, leather, upgraded sound system, etc. It had everything but the adaptive cruise package. It did have a few off things: original PO had the dual top but the soft top was no where to be found, floor mats were missing, body plugs were missing, and body had some slight cosmetic damage that could be easily fixed(mostly some chipped paint from rocks kicking up, some deep enough to expose the under layers and would rust). All that to say, it's a banging Jeep and I'd love to own it. Price is listed on their website at $46,988 which being honest is a little above the price range I was looking, but this thing has everything and I'm willing to go a bit above if it's THE Jeep.

There is the backstory. Now onto today: I spoke with the dealer the other day and they told me that added onto the price would be 3 things: 3% sales tax, $699 Doc fee, and ~$150 in registration fees. Calculated out that's ~$48K. I was feeling them out to see what they would do and said, what about $43K, expecting at least "hey, best we could do is X". What I got back surprised me in that they said the best and final offer they had was $50K out the door. That may be their "hey, leave us alone" price(knowing it's higher than what I was told the fees and taxes are). Or simply it's mislabeled on the website. I've been thinking about it today and it's been bugging me. It's been a while since I've purchased a vehicle so maybe I missed the mark in this new internet savvy world and sort of blew the chance at getting the Jeep at a good price.

Anyway, what do you all think? Is there something I should be concerned about here and just move on? Or just a dealer knowing I'm fishing for a deal and using the number to scare me off?

As an aside I'm from NC, so if there are any NC readers out there who have purchased recently let me know the taxes and fees you all paid, maybe there is something they didn't mention that was being factored in that I just don't know about.

PS, sorry for the long post. I tend to overthink and have a bit of word vomit!
So I bought a 2018 Demo. With 3,000 miles
With a $48,000 window sticker for $40,000
I run from the dealer.
Sponsored