Missed Something or scarring off?

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I’m getting a 2020 new Rubicon with the 6K diesel/trans option for 53K. Walk away.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2004 Ford Ranger XLT
I'm with you all, I'm not moving forward with it. Had decided that already before posting, was more curious if maybe there was something I wasn't seeing. Sounds like there isn't!

I had the same thoughts about the price, why pay that when I could spend a bit more and get totally new? Which is why I originally went fairly low on my offer, because I knew much north of what they had it listed for was getting into new territory(I also figured that would at least come down some...). Plus I figured if they got it at auction they must have had gotten it for a good price!

Thank you for the comments!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm with you all, I'm not moving forward with it. Had decided that already before posting, was more curious if maybe there was something I wasn't seeing. Sounds like there isn't!

I had the same thoughts about the price, why pay that when I could spend a bit more and get totally new? Which is why I originally went fairly low on my offer, because I knew much north of what they had it listed for was getting into new territory(I also figured that would at least come down some...). Plus I figured if they got it at auction they must have had gotten it for a good price!

Thank you for the comments!
Good luck:like: Just order what you want:rock:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The price is WAY TO HIGH--WALK as said--

As far as RUST, don't worry about the body panes/fenders/R00F,-they don't have any IRON in them--except the rear exterior cargo panels--

All the IRON is in the FRAME/AXLES/SUSPENSION-

W.E.

JIMBO

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Wow for me it would be a new Rubicon, not a second thought.

Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Mojito isn’t available anymore but I hear from another thread that Bikini looks green to some but even if it’s really bluey it’s another of those pop colors. Saw a 2d yesterday and it was a great color. Maybe not for you though...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP, go to the ordering section of the forum, read a few of the sticky threads on top regarding pricing info and search a bit (also on that section of the forum) to find a dealer within range that WILL WORK WITH YOU. Many on the site (including myself) got our Jeeps just the way we wanted for 5% or less BELOW invoice. Then you get exactly what you want with no paint chips and no wondering why your new purchase already had two owners in less than 2 years. And FWIW 2020s "should" have most of the quirks taken care of that were more common in 2018. Good luck, and have fun getting just what you want!

miranda_majo

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 78 Corvette
Thanks for the replies so far! I apologize if my original post wasn't clear: this is a used vehicle. It's actually had two previous owners and this dealer bought at auction up in MI.

Yeah I wasnt worried about missing items. They were small enough that they are easily replaced by me or the dealer. This is at an official Jeep dealer. Also forgot to mention it's CPO, which affects the price a little.

12k miles. There were a few. One on the windshield support and a few small ones on a rear fender. Funny enough the previous owners had enough foresight to add a clear wrap to the fender, just not very much of it!

Definitely a volume dealer, in fact the sales guy specifically said that's why they are priced competitively. Honestly it's a little on the high end for CPO, but it's still technically within the range. I'll check out that dealership. I'm willing to drive for the right vehicle and deal with good people! Thanks for the fact check on fees, that seemed normal but the OTD price just seemed really high compared to what I expected, buy about $2k. Oh well! Maybe they come back with a better offer, or I just continue the quest!
don't buy a vehicle that came from an auction

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
don't buy a vehicle that came from an auction
Care to share any reasons why? I don't claim to know what I'm doing, but I know enough to spot some obvious garbage. It also helps when I bring my mechanic brother with me to give it a once over! I figured this vehicle is so specific that it just wasn't moving up north.

OP, go to the ordering section of the forum, read a few of the sticky threads on top regarding pricing info and search a bit (also on that section of the forum) to find a dealer within range that WILL WORK WITH YOU. Many on the site (including myself) got our Jeeps just the way we wanted for 5% or less BELOW invoice. Then you get exactly what you want with no paint chips and no wondering why your new purchase already had two owners in less than 2 years. And FWIW 2020s "should" have most of the quirks taken care of that were more common in 2018. Good luck, and have fun getting just what you want!
Already on it :) I've been sort of amazed at the prices for what I'm looking at. Reinforces it's silly to purchase the particular Jeep in question.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
A lot of the best deals nationwide are coming from dealers in the Washington DC area. Since you're in NC, I'd start here if I were you. Also, sign up now for Tread Lightly to get the extra affiliate discount.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the wonkiness of the first quote has been rectified. The dealer contacted me and mentioned something wasn't right and wanted to run it again for me. Turns out when they originally worked up a quote they ran it with taxes from CA! I'm guessing that was from when I chatted with them online, sometimes my IP location shows as CA. Anyway, they got back to me with $47,800. Still a bit high in my opinion, but much more reasonable number than before. I didn't realize NC has one of the lowest sales taxes for buying a car.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I didn't realize NC has one of the lowest sales taxes for buying a car.
Is NC one of those states where you pay a property tax annually on a vehicle? That may be why the low sales tax.

Good call walking away on this one.. Get a new one for that cost or not much more with your options and your smell :) ..

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is NC one of those states where you pay a property tax annually on a vehicle? That may be why the low sales tax.
Yep, that's exactly it!

EXACTLY !!! Seems kinda obvious , doesnt it ?
Haha, well now it does! I sort of explained it away to myself. But having others say it gave me a bit of pause and made me go take a peek at the history again. Now going back and reading it seems really funky according to Carfax... Bought in late 2018 in PA. Driven for about 11K miles. Then listed as a lease in MI(which seems weird, though I guess could have been miscataloged) and shortly thereafter sold at auction to the dealership down here and then CPO'd. Where if I'm not mistaken it's been sitting in their inventory since September.

It's been a while since I've looked at vehicles so this is all interesting research and stuff to look out for in terms of used!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
. Anyway, they got back to me with $47,800. Still a bit high in my opinion, but much more reasonable number than before. I didn't realize NC has one of the lowest sales taxes for buying a car.
It sounds like the dealer is just walking it back hoping they can get you lured back in. Having 2 owners in such a short time signals problems, could have some steering issues that haven't been rectified or even something more serious. There was also a run of 2018 JLs that had frame quality problems.

If you prefer to buy off a lot look for a 2019 w/ the options you want or consider ordering a 2020. Ordering is pretty painless and you shouldn't have to wait too long for delivery. Our 2019 was ordered in late October last year and was built and shipped to the lot 5 weeks later (and that was shipping to Nevada).
Sponsored