Sponsored

Missed Something or scarring off?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2004 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi all! New to the forums and new to looking at a JL. Not a first time owner though, had a 2007 JK a while back and traded it for my current Ranger. Onto my question!

I went and saw a beautiful Mojito 2018 Rubicon 4 door that was pretty much fully loaded: body color hard top, body color fenders, leather, upgraded sound system, etc. It had everything but the adaptive cruise package. It did have a few off things: original PO had the dual top but the soft top was no where to be found, floor mats were missing, body plugs were missing, and body had some slight cosmetic damage that could be easily fixed(mostly some chipped paint from rocks kicking up, some deep enough to expose the under layers and would rust). All that to say, it's a banging Jeep and I'd love to own it. Price is listed on their website at $46,988 which being honest is a little above the price range I was looking, but this thing has everything and I'm willing to go a bit above if it's THE Jeep.

There is the backstory. Now onto today: I spoke with the dealer the other day and they told me that added onto the price would be 3 things: 3% sales tax, $699 Doc fee, and ~$150 in registration fees. Calculated out that's ~$48K. I was feeling them out to see what they would do and said, what about $43K, expecting at least "hey, best we could do is X". What I got back surprised me in that they said the best and final offer they had was $50K out the door. That may be their "hey, leave us alone" price(knowing it's higher than what I was told the fees and taxes are). Or simply it's mislabeled on the website. I've been thinking about it today and it's been bugging me. It's been a while since I've purchased a vehicle so maybe I missed the mark in this new internet savvy world and sort of blew the chance at getting the Jeep at a good price.

Anyway, what do you all think? Is there something I should be concerned about here and just move on? Or just a dealer knowing I'm fishing for a deal and using the number to scare me off?

As an aside I'm from NC, so if there are any NC readers out there who have purchased recently let me know the taxes and fees you all paid, maybe there is something they didn't mention that was being factored in that I just don't know about.

PS, sorry for the long post. I tend to overthink and have a bit of word vomit!
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
My .02, but I’d walk. There are plenty of dealerships out there with plenty of jeeps. None will be giving them away, but none should give you 2 different prices, especially with the second being higher. Checkout online reviews of the dealership, too. Also, was it a Jeep dealer?

As far as missing items, I’m guessing the previous owner sold the soft top and mats prior to trade in. The mats require you to pull the drain plugs out and put them in the mats when installed. Easy enough to replace, though.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
What's the MSRP on the window sticker? In some states it seems it's common practice to exclude the destination fee from their advertised price, even though it's included in the MSRP. Anyhow if that's the case, then $50k sounds about right OTD. I'm definitely jealous of your 3% sales tax...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Something sounds a bit odd, especially for mid to late December.

The best advice I can give you is to check with another dealer. First, there are two types of dealers (over-generalization coming) and they are: Volume Dealers and Service Dealers. Volume dealers want to move as many vehicles as possible. Service Dealers want to maximize revenue and promote nicer services/facilities. Find a volume dealer. I used Steve White Motors, just outside of Hickory, NC and they are a volume dealer.

With all that said, it's the end of December, and you should be getting the best deals of the year right now. My best guess is that they may have someone else interested in the Jeep you're looking at, which is why they may be a bit more conservative on their price. It all boils down to what YOU are willing to pay, not what other's do. As a benchmark, it seems that many are getting deals that are 3-6% below invoice (Invoice, not MSRP). They should be willing to show you the invoice costs, but if not (run) check this site for some great detail on invoice costs based on model, add-ons and accessories.

BTW, I don't think the taxes/fees you're outlining are out of line. I do think they're charging you too much for the Jeep overall, and that's strictly opinion.

Best of luck, and make sure you get everything that's on that MSRP sheet! They'll do an IOU if they have to replace something that's missing.

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
... a new 2018?? With chipped paint and no soft too to match sticker? Or is it used? Maybe a demo? How many miles? I mean, why does it have chips in paint again..

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
Just order your perfect jeep from a sane salesman.

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2004 Ford Ranger XLT
Thanks for the replies so far! I apologize if my original post wasn't clear: this is a used vehicle. It's actually had two previous owners and this dealer bought at auction up in MI.

My .02, but I’d walk. There are plenty of dealerships out there with plenty of jeeps. None will be giving them away, but none should give you 2 different prices, especially with the second being higher. Checkout online reviews of the dealership, too. Also, was it a Jeep dealer?

As far as missing items, I’m guessing the previous owner sold the soft top and mats prior to trade in. The mats require you to pull the drain plugs out and put them in the mats when installed. Easy enough to replace, though.
Yeah I wasnt worried about missing items. They were small enough that they are easily replaced by me or the dealer. This is at an official Jeep dealer. Also forgot to mention it's CPO, which affects the price a little.

... a new 2018?? With chipped paint and no soft too to match sticker? Or is it used? Maybe a demo? How many miles? I mean, why does it have chips in paint again..
12k miles. There were a few. One on the windshield support and a few small ones on a rear fender. Funny enough the previous owners had enough foresight to add a clear wrap to the fender, just not very much of it!

Something sounds a bit odd, especially for mid to late December.

The best advice I can give you is to check with another dealer. First, there are two types of dealers (over-generalization coming) and they are: Volume Dealers and Service Dealers. Volume dealers want to move as many vehicles as possible. Service Dealers want to maximize revenue and promote nicer services/facilities. Find a volume dealer. I used Steve White Motors, just outside of Hickory, NC and they are a volume dealer.

With all that said, it's the end of December, and you should be getting the best deals of the year right now. My best guess is that they may have someone else interested in the Jeep you're looking at, which is why they may be a bit more conservative on their price. It all boils down to what YOU are willing to pay, not what other's do. As a benchmark, it seems that many are getting deals that are 3-6% below invoice (Invoice, not MSRP). They should be willing to show you the invoice costs, but if not (run) check this site for some great detail on invoice costs based on model, add-ons and accessories.

BTW, I don't think the taxes/fees you're outlining are out of line. I do think they're charging you too much for the Jeep overall, and that's strictly opinion.

Best of luck, and make sure you get everything that's on that MSRP sheet! They'll do an IOU if they have to replace something that's missing.
Definitely a volume dealer, in fact the sales guy specifically said that's why they are priced competitively. Honestly it's a little on the high end for CPO, but it's still technically within the range. I'll check out that dealership. I'm willing to drive for the right vehicle and deal with good people! Thanks for the fact check on fees, that seemed normal but the OTD price just seemed really high compared to what I expected, buy about $2k. Oh well! Maybe they come back with a better offer, or I just continue the quest!

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Way overpriced for a 2018. I've seen dealers knock off 8000 off sticker on 2020

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ridiculously priced. I ordered my Rubicon exactly the way I wanted it, waited 9 weeks to the day for $40840 plus tax and license. Dealer said 6-8 weeks when I ordered it. When I picked it up with like 6 miles on it and paid for it he knocked $1000 off to $39,840 on his own because it was later than he told me.
Good God I hope you don't pay $50,000 for a used jeep!

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I purchased my brand new (factory order) 2018 JLUR with every option (at the time) except for proximity locks and remote start, for less than they want for a two year old used one. WALK AWAY!!!

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Walk!!!! I ordered my new then 2018 JLUR and it was $48.5k OTD and it has LED group, cold weather group, leather, hard top, 8speed auto, infotainment group.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
Maybe you could ask the dealer how they got from $46,988 to $50,000?.... Just a thought.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Run away to another dealer and order what you want. The only reason dealers can pull off those kind of prices is when unaware customers come through their doors.

I guess I have one question for you.

Why would you want to pay nearly New 2020 Rubicon prices for an 18 that others have already put miles on and battle scars?