Midrange Dash Speakers?

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
I replaced the blown factory dash speakers with some 3.5" JBL coax speakers, but every time I go to the dunes sand gets stuck between the tweeter and voice coil and makes them sound like garbage until I blow them out with compressed air.

Has anyone found a decent midrange speaker to replace the dash speakers? I was looking for something like these, but Crutchfield and Amazon say they don't fit.
Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
How about gluing some speaker mesh under the speaker covers to keep the sand out?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I replaced the blown factory dash speakers with some 3.5" JBL coax speakers, but every time I go to the dunes sand gets stuck between the tweeter and voice coil and makes them sound like garbage until I blow them out with compressed air.

Has anyone found a decent midrange speaker to replace the dash speakers? I was looking for something like these, but Crutchfield and Amazon say they don't fit.
You'll be out of the frequency range on the high end with those unless you add tweeters.

OP
OP
huntb

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
How about gluing some speaker mesh under the speaker covers to keep the sand out?
I was thinking of doing that, but I'm also not a huge fan of how the JBLs sound. I had to completely disable the tweeter because it was so tinny/hissy so I was looking for other options

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Looks like the stock alpines dump off in the higher tweeter range. They may have jacked up the signal there to make up for it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midrange Dash Speakers? 1629910116190

Sponsored

OP
OP
huntb

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Looks like the stock alpines dump off in the higher tweeter range. They may have jacked up the signal there to make up for it.
1629910116190.png
Is that the graph for the stock Alpine 3.5s? Honestly, the JBLs do an ok job with higher frequencies like hats, but I feel like I could get a lot better sound from a dedicated full/mid range 3.5 as opposed to the JBL with tweeter disabled. Kicker and Memphis make a 2.75" that might do the trick, but they look to be on the cheap end

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Is that the graph for the stock Alpine 3.5s?
Yes. Pulled it from a youtube video of the Alpine tech guy describing the system.

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
I'm seriously surprised the stock oems aren't more sensitive than 86db. You'd think they go with better sensitivity for power to output. This explains why everyone raves over drop in Infinity Ref's (93db sensitivity)

OP
OP
huntb

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
So I ended up swapping out the JBL Clubs with JL C2's and the difference is night and day. They're still coax though, so I've ordered some 1/4" by 1/8" thick foam tape to put around the dash grill and I've got some speaker mesh I'll be putting behind the grill to keep sand out.

Unfortunately the C2's don't fit in the sound bar, so I'm going to get the MB Quart 3.5"s
Sponsored