diggerdpilot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler 2 door, 2000 TJ 2 door, 2017 4 door Wrangler
Hi all,
I replaced my dash speakers with a set of kickers, plug and play, with adaptors from Crutchfield. They sound (ed) much better than stock, but about 60 mins after, I heard a very quick noise from the entire system, and now both are dead. I have not had a chance to troubleshoot yet, but with both going together, I have to wonder if something happened in my radio? 7", stock, no amp, and no other issues found since they let loose. Crutchfield is sending me another pair, but any advice or has this happened to anyone else? Thanks, Steve T.
Sponsored

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Were you playing them at full volume for a long period of time?

Speakers are not typically blown from too much power, they are blown because of too much distortion. The stock system probably has distortion at the highest couple notches of volume.

Even my aftermarket system...I am running an optical output from the stock head unit to a JL DSP and there is distortion at full volume, but one notch down there is not. Now that my system is tuned, I know never to have it turned up to full volume, so at most I will have it no more than 30-32 even with the top and doors off on the highway.

OP
OP

diggerdpilot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler 2 door, 2000 TJ 2 door, 2017 4 door Wrangler
Were you playing them at full volume for a long period of time?

Speakers are not typically blown from too much power, they are blown because of too much distortion. The stock system probably has distortion at the highest couple notches of volume.

Even my aftermarket system...I am running an optical output from the stock head unit to a JL DSP and there is distortion at full volume, but one notch down there is not. Now that my system is tuned, I know never to have it turned up to full volume, so at most I will have it no more than 30-32 even with the top and doors off on the highway.
Hi Matt,
Kinda. the pigtails that Crutchfield sent only had two female connectors, while the speakers themselves have 3. I assumed that they were bridged via solder underneath, and they weren't. Tweeters alone were being driven by the system, and let loose. The new set Crutchfield sent (who was awesome BTW), I connected all connectors like it should, and Im golden now. Not great, but better than it was for sure.
Sponsored