Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel/2022 X3M Comp
The Baja Pro XS tires are actually bias ply tires. But, yours still took a bunch of weight to balance and probably a bad tire.
The pro xs is a radial, the pro x is bias ply. The tires are within spec, so it's not a bad tire. Just very aggressive, and one thing I noticed yesterday, super, super soft Compound.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed that these are a directional tire, so rotations must remain front to back only. And the spare will only work on one side, so in the event that it's needed, it'll be a 50/50 chance of having to temporarily run it backwards.

Not at all a deal breaker, just thought it was worth pointing out.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I just noticed that these are a directional tire, so rotations must remain front to back only. And the spare will only work on one side, so in the event that it's needed, it'll be a 50/50 chance of having to temporarily run it backwards.

Not at all a deal breaker, just thought it was worth pointing out.
That sucks. Usually a deal breaker for me. Was hoping this would be my next tire.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've read in numerous places, "4-ply bias" construction.

mickey-thompson-announces-new-baja-pro-xs-tire-line

mickey-thompson-launches-new-baja-pro-xs-tire-line

Unless they have released a radial version......that would be sweet.
Well, this is one for the books. After building 6 of these rigs, running everything from Mtz's, Trail Grapplers, Mud Grapplers, Open Country's, etc. I just called MT, these ARE bias Ply tires. I dont know why the hell I thought they were radials. I guess my wife is right, I AM a dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this is one for the books. After building 6 of these rigs, running everything from Mtz's, Trail Grapplers, Mud Grapplers, Open Country's, etc. I just called MT, these ARE bias Ply tires. I dont know why the hell I thought they were radials. I guess my wife is right, I AM a dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear that I remember reading that they were the new DOT compliant radial version of the Baja Pro X sticky tire that the Mischief Maker has been using for a while now. Of course I can't remember where, to confirm it, but multiple mickey thompson dealers product pages are all saying bias ply.

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I swear that I remember reading that they were the new DOT compliant radial version of the Baja Pro X sticky tire that the Mischief Maker has been using for a while now. Of course I can't remember where, to confirm it, but multiple mickey thompson dealers product pages are all saying bias ply.
That's where I was thrown off too, I swear I read they were the radial version of the pro X. That's what made me pick them. I'm still floored they're biased ply. Overall I'm very happy with them. For me, they very livable on a daily basis. I have ram assist coming for it, so that'll help with the lateral movement. These things are super soft, I was breaking in the Alcon 6 piston, slammed on the brakes and actually left a black mark on the asphalt. You have to see these things in person to appreciate how aggressive they are, this Jeep smokes anything else I've ever built. These tires make this thing look like a monster on the street. Can't wait to get it off road.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's where I was thrown off too, I swear I read they were the radial version of the pro X. That's what made me pick them. I'm still floored they're biased ply. Overall I'm very happy with them. For me, they very livable on a daily basis. I have ram assist coming for it, so that'll help with the lateral movement. These things are super soft, I was breaking in the Alcon 6 piston, slammed on the brakes and actually left a black mark on the asphalt. You have to see these things in person to appreciate how aggressive they are, this Jeep smokes anything else I've ever built. These tires make this thing look like a monster on the street. Can't wait to get it off road.
I've built mine up for mainly rock crawling and being able to carry some speed through the washboarded trails in between obstacles. But its also my daily driver, so will rack up most of its miles on road.

It seems as though the downsides of bias ply will be greater on a vehicle with a rigid frame and an engine capable of putting some real power down to the ground. Pretty much any vehicle that can be considered sporty, which does not define the Wrangler.

I don't want to drop down to a 37, or take the leap into 40's before the inevitable D60's, so I think I'll still give a set of these a try out.

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've built mine up for mainly rock crawling and being able to carry some speed through the washboarded trails in between obstacles. But its also my daily driver, so will rack up most of its miles on road.

It seems as though the downsides of bias ply will be greater on a vehicle with a rigid frame and an engine capable of putting some real power down to the ground. Pretty much any vehicle that can be considered sporty, which does not define the Wrangler.

I don't want to drop down to a 37, or take the leap into 40's before the inevitable D60's, so I think I'll still give a set of these a try out.
So I dropped my rigg off today to have the alignment double checked. I've got less than 100 miles on it since pick up, but I thought it couldn't hurt to double check and see where the original shops alignment specs were. I was running the tires at 25 PSI. Well both the Caster and Toe were off. The alignment shop adjusted those and raised the pressure to 35 psi, dramatic difference. Drives much straighter and the Lateral movement is 70% better.

For what these tires are, an agressive, SOFT compound, Bias Ply tire, I am beyond impressed with the street manners. Once I get the Ram Assist on, I think it will drive perfect. I can't imagine how sticky these will be on the trails. Definitely get these for your rig. If I had to buy new tires today, I would buy the same Pro XS that are on it, love them!

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I dropped my rigg off today to have the alignment double checked. I've got less than 100 miles on it since pick up, but I thought it couldn't hurt to double check and see where the original shops alignment specs were. I was running the tires at 25 PSI. Well both the Caster and Toe were off. The alignment shop adjusted those and raised the pressure to 35 psi, dramatic difference. Drives much straighter and the Lateral movement is 70% better.

For what these tires are, an agressive, SOFT compound, Bias Ply tire, I am beyond impressed with there street manners. Once I get the Ram Assist on I think it will drive perfect. I can't imagine how sticky these will be on the trails. Definitely get these for your rig. If I had to buy new tires today, I would buy the same Pro XS that are on it, love them!
Now that's some awesome news! Glad to hear it! :champagne:

Yeah, those 3 points being out of whack are like the perfect storm for a disappointing ride.

From what little about them is out there, it sounds like they may be a better all around tire than the Pat's. And there's not many choices available in a 38x13.5, anyway. Plus, they have that take care of business look about them.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I’d love to run the 38’s, but I do way too much highway driving and the soft compound won’t last long. I wheel with guys running 40’s and 42’s, not ready to make the leap into 1 ton axles. The trails here in AZ are chunking the hell out of my Yoko G003 MT’s. I think my best compromise is gonna be Nitto Trails.

Reactions: J0E

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d love to run the 38’s, but I do way too much highway driving and the soft compound won’t last long. I wheel with guys running 40’s and 42’s, not ready to make the leap into 1 ton axles. The trails here in AZ are chunking the hell out of my Yoko G003 MT’s. I think my best compromise is gonna be Nitto Trails.
That's probably a good call in your situation. These tires aren't going to last like a Trail Grappler or Open Country. I work out of the house and dont drive a lot so not a big concern for me, but if I were in your shoes and you do a lot of driving, I dont think these would last. A lot of guys Wheel/Daily Drive with the Nitto, I think that's a good call.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at these for my new set of 40's. For those that have been running them, how many miles have you guys had. Was hoping that it would last at least 20k miles. My jeep is mainly a trail rig but it isnt towed to and from trails so i need them to last.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
For those actually running these tires...any updates on performance and how have they worn on the street? How many miles so far?

Cheers
Sponsored