Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
Background:
Didn't find much info on these before purchasing, figured I'd share a bit of info for others. My more recent tires besides stock are Baja Boss AT in 37", Maxxis RAZR MT in 40s, Patagonia M/T-02 in 38s, and now these. My rig sees no daily driving, purely for the weekends hitting trails and the occasional weeknight trail. Am at 14k miles since my purchase last July on this build. Mounted on KMC Grenade crawl beadlocks 17x9 -38
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read 20230602_153520

Got installed/balanced last Friday 6/02/2023. These tires have very large tread blocks and are SOFT, soft enough to flex them with a twist of the hand. At around 91 lbs per tire, they are on the heavy side for sure. Almost feels the same as when I ran the Maxxis 40s. Friday night, hit 3 combined trails, woke up early Saturday and went to the CA/NV border for another more scenic route/trail, and on Sunday hit another trail crossing a few peaks down to the water.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read 20230602_160808

Key Notes:
I wanted to make sure if you're reading, that you know what you're getting into, these are bias ply tires. After one day in the garage, they flat spot in a big way, highway it goes away within 2-3 miles, but city slow driving, it took me about 10 miles yesterday while searching for a car wash before it smoothed out. This doesn't bother me but others probably are wondering why the jeep appears to be rattling around so much.

EDIT - Tried 30lbs, then 35 lbs, now airing up to 40 to 42 lbs to help with the flat spotting, much better as its not nearly as bumpy from the flat spotting after sitting for a few days.

M/T tires, some give a harsh bumpy ride at all times under 10mph, these are no exception. Had a passenger once ask me what was wrong with the jeep. Some tires are louder than others, and again, these are VERY true to that statement. At 32mph, these start roaring, just as loud if not louder than my RAZR 40s at highway speeds, as you gain speed, so does the sound, doesn't bother me though. Someone in my group last weekend on the highway going to a trail said they could hear my tires in front of him over his own tires.

On the trail:
These are soft, even running a higher pressure than on previous tires, the large tread blocks act like suspension giving a noticeably more comfortable ride. As seen, the tread blocks can be an advantage with certain types of bite on rock and dirt.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read 20230603_115832

Let me point out that you will get more rocks kicked up at higher speeds than crawling, you will get much larger rocks kicked up, the types that fit in your hand, not just fingers. My fenders after one day was full, literally full of small stones and such. I watched all day and even the wife was laughing at all the visible rocks being thrown forward, some hitting the hood/windshield and even at times, the side windows. I did install some tubing yesterday after a wash to help with the small stones getting stuck in the fenders.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read 20230605_160258

Conclusion:
Only time will tell on how long they will last, if I can get a year to 1.5 years before they are half way worn, I'll be happy. There is balance with all tires, they all have their own personalities, the XS is an extreme tire from one end, no where in the middle.

Would I get this after another 1.5 years, to be honest, I'm not sure. Definitely enjoying them for now and have no regrets. The only thing I would wish is that these are available as a radial tire. But if designed as a radial, I'm assuming there were be some characteristic changes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I sure miss my Pitbull tires, much like these off road but a little tamer on road.

IMG_6650.jpeg

OP
OP
TEAMSLO

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Thanks for the review... I have seen comments that these tires are soft and grippy and won't last long if used on the highway.. so I guess they are great for rigs that are transported on trailers.... but not a good idea if you are planning on driving around the country hitting trails ??

OP
OP
TEAMSLO

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
Thanks for the review... I have seen comments that these tires are soft and grippy and won't last long if used on the highway.. so I guess they are great for rigs that are transported on trailers.... but not a good idea if you are planning on driving around the country hitting trails ??
Driving the country and hitting the trails, I could see it being possible for myself if I were in that position. However, I'm not as concerned about total mileage, as long as it lasted 12k-15k miles. Would these do it? I sure would love to give it a try 😁

But then again, I come from other industries that tires cost nearly the same if not more at times, and last a day or two at the track.

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
What are you running on now?
At the moment the new rig is still on 35” Duratracs (awesome in the winter weather in Northern Canada). I was considering the MT PRO in the radial version because I do put on a lot of miles. This summer when the 37 or 38 go on I may just go with the Baja Boss. Antares Deep Diggers have caught my eye as a daily to. Something different to try.
Realistically I haven’t found a tire yet that I can say matches Pitbull Rockers.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Background:
Didn't find much info on these before purchasing, figured I'd share a bit of info for others. My more recent tires besides stock are Baja Boss AT in 37", Maxxis RAZR MT in 40s, Patagonia M/T-02 in 38s, and now these. My rig sees no daily driving, purely for the weekends hitting trails and the occasional weeknight trail. Am at 14k miles since my purchase last July on this build. Mounted on KMC Grenade crawl beadlocks 17x9 -38
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read IMG_6650

Got installed/balanced last Friday 6/02/2023. These tires have very large tread blocks and are SOFT, soft enough to flex them with a twist of the hand. At around 91 lbs per tire, they are on the heavy side for sure. Almost feels the same as when I ran the Maxxis 40s. Friday night, hit 3 combined trails, woke up early Saturday and went to the CA/NV border for another more scenic route/trail, and on Sunday hit another trail crossing a few peaks down to the water.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read IMG_6650

Key Notes:
I wanted to make sure if you're reading, that you know what you're getting into, these are bias ply tires. After one day in the garage, they flat spot in a big way, highway it goes away within 2-3 miles, but city slow driving, it took me about 10 miles yesterday while searching for a car wash before it smoothed out. This doesn't bother me but others probably are wondering why the jeep appears to be rattling around so much.

M/T tires, some give a harsh bumpy ride at all times under 10mph, these are no exception. Had a passenger once ask me what was wrong with the jeep. Some tires are louder than others, and again, these are VERY true to that statement. At 32mph, these start roaring, just as loud if not louder than my RAZR 40s at highway speeds, as you gain speed, so does the sound, doesn't bother me though. Someone in my group last weekend on the highway going to a trail said they could hear my tires in front of him over his own tires.

On the trail:
These are soft, even running a higher pressure than on previous tires, the large tread blocks act like suspension giving a noticeably more comfortable ride. As seen, the tread blocks can be an advantage with certain types of bite on rock and dirt.

Let me point out that you will get more rocks kicked up at higher speeds than crawling, you will get much larger rocks kicked up, the types that fit in your hand, not just fingers. My fenders after one day was full, literally full of small stones and such. I watched all day and even the wife was laughing at all the visible rocks being thrown forward, some hitting the hood/windshield and even at times, the side windows. I did install some tubing yesterday after a wash to help with the small stones getting stuck in the fenders.

Conclusion:
Only time will tell on how long they will last, if I can get a year to 1.5 years before they are half way worn, I'll be happy. There is balance with all tires, they all have their own personalities, the XS is an extreme tire from one end, no where in the middle.

Would I get this after another 1.5 years, to be honest, I'm not sure. Definitely enjoying them for now and have no regrets. The only thing I would wish is that these are available as a radial tire. But if designed as a radial, I'm assuming there were be some characteristic changes.
SICK rig man!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
14,000 miles in eleven months without daily driving?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Background:

Key Notes:

On the trail:

Conclusion:

Nice review, and good looking rig. Are these louder than Nitto Mud Grapplers on the highway?

I have a set of 37x13.50s and they are the loudest tire I have heard. I actually have boggers on my yj and the mud grapplers are louder.

OP
OP
TEAMSLO

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
14,000 miles in eleven months without daily driving?
Yes absolutely, my 21 Mojave had 12k in 8 months, I work from home, take my group on occasional week night trails but we are busy on weekends. Now, not all miles are on dirt as I still have to get to the trail and back home. I don't take my rig around town as I don't leave it out of sight with my "stuff" mounted everywhere both inside and out.

Here is an example from last weekend not including the dirt:
Friday evening 42 miles each way to and from trail
Sat trail to Niption CA, but dirt was 41 miles of on road each way
Sunday went down to the river and to the trail was 62 miles
So weekend asphalt was already 145 miles total, plus all the dirt.

And Utah trips really soak up the mileage as I have taken my group there several times since I've had this rig. AZ trips will start increasing as well as we have started heading out there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JMacRevo

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had 38" Baja Pro XS tires on for about 16k miles over a year and a half and when I took them off I still had about 20% of life left in them. In that time about 50% was off road use and there were even a few 12+ hour road trips in there(to Moab and such).

I absolutely loved the tires and think they performed better than any non-sticky tire I have ever run off road. They were legitimately terrible on road but I expected that from the start. The main reason I did not purchase them again was that I needed to do more street driving and wanted something with a bit less noise and better road manners.

I would 100% buy them again if I had a rig that was a bit more dedicated to off road use. I still have the ones I took off and plan to mount them to another set of wheels so that I can still use them on off road trips, although it will be a toss up between those or the 40" STT Pros that I run now depending on the type of wheeling since they are 2" shorter.

OP
OP
TEAMSLO

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
Nice review, and good looking rig. Are these louder than Nitto Mud Grapplers on the highway?

I have a set of 37x13.50s and they are the loudest tire I have heard. I actually have boggers on my yj and the mud grapplers are louder.
To be honest, I couldn't tell you as I haven't run the Nittos myself, I generally go only based on my own experiences. I can only say only the street even at 32mph it's already loud and just gets louder as you speed up from there.

Have noticed people in cars roll up their windows or move on up ahead of me.

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
To be honest, I couldn't tell you as I haven't run the Nittos myself, I generally go only based on my own experiences. I can only say only the street even at 32mph it's already loud and just gets louder as you speed up from there.

Have noticed people in cars roll up their windows or move on up ahead of me.
😄. Thank you.

freaknasty

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willy's Unlimited Extreme Recon Package
Occupation
I'm, "That Guy"

MDPJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392 XR / 2004 TJ Rubicon, AEV, Warn...
Thanks for writing the review !! My FAVORITE tires ever on my Rubicon were Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials (36x15.50x15). I would have bought them in a second for the new JLUR 392XR. Big lugs but symmetrical and were fairly quiet on the road. I could go literally anywhere with them. They finally aged out with still 75% tread left. Running Mud Grapplers (35x14.50x15) on the TJ now and Ridge Grapplers (37x12.50x17) on the JLUR.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 38x13.50r17 initial impression & long read 1686601655152
Sponsored