Sponsored

Melted 4xe charging port

Chubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I woke up this morning to the charging port and charger on my 4xe melted together. This ever happen to anyone else?

796F8013-67D4-4124-9716-060A2B67018A.jpeg
Need more details such as what charger were you using? Pics of charger?
Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
You are supposed to extinguish all flames before refueling. :P

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
WOW!

I’m no engineer, but even I can figure out that “ain’t good”

maybe a broader issue?

https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/melting-charging-port-with-l2.1373/
Wanted to bump this back up after a discussion in one of the facebook groups and coming across this thread.

Most/all of these melting charging port issues seem to be the result of using the Mustart brand EVSE off of Amazon. This is a problem that is not unique to the 4xe. Has happened to lots of other brand vehicles as well.

Nissan Motors ended up doing a study on off-brand EVSEs and found that the Mustart brand EVSEs are lacking the CCID protection circuitry they claim to have and appear to have faked all of their certification tests.

Jeep Wrangler JL Melted 4xe charging port 1642703450573

Jeep Wrangler JL Melted 4xe charging port 1642703382370

https://assets.ctfassets.net/ucu418...h_2019_EPRI_IWC_-_EVSE_Safety_Analysis-ET.pdf

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Apparently the OP’s phone or computer charger must have burned up too. Didn’t see any answers to the questions everyone was asking.

Sponsored

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to bump this back up after a discussion in one of the facebook groups and coming across this thread.

Most/all of these melting charging port issues seem to be the result of using the Mustart brand EVSE off of Amazon. This is a problem that is not unique to the 4xe. Has happened to lots of other brand vehicles as well.

Nissan Motors ended up doing a study on off-brand EVSEs and found that the Mustart brand EVSEs are lacking the CCID protection circuitry they claim to have and appear to have faked all of their certification tests.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/ucu418...h_2019_EPRI_IWC_-_EVSE_Safety_Analysis-ET.pdf
We have used a Mustart level 2 charger on our Pacifica hybrid for the past 3 years without issue. I will need to do some reading. Thank you for the heads up!

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
We have used a Mustart level 2 charger on our Pacifica hybrid for the past 3 years without issue. I will need to do some reading. Thank you for the heads up!
There are quite a few people that have posted in the various 4xe groups about melted charge ports, charging system failure, etc and they all seem to be using mustart evses. There are also a lot of people that use them without issue. Probably one of those cases where as long as everything works exactly as it should, there's no problem, but as soon as a fault happens and the ccid circuitry should step in, it doesn't and you get catastrophic failure instead

GeneralKlinger

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE
Gotta love people that post then disappear. Great way to stir the pot.

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Gotta love people that post then disappear. Great way to stir the pot.
Yep, this is why i try to avoid a specific 4xe forum. Every post is one of a few possible negative scenarios and apparently no one uses the search feature. You'd think people with issues would come back and at least help others going through it.