Sponsored

Maximus 3 Tow Loops

sgemelos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
this has been an interesting thread - and thanks for everyone's posts and lately showing the application of the new frame connection kit.

I just purchased a Rubicon 2 weeks ago - before I read this thread, I had M3 Tow Loops on order - actually, their Tow Kit with Blue Ox adaptors. The frame connection kit is not part of the Tow Kit.

At first it was the recovery loops - $330

Then you find out you need the tow kit with tow bar + $130...
and the blue ox adaptors + $230

Now I need to add the frame connector kit + $100

Now we're at $800 for a baseplate solution.... and a pretty janky installation that everyone seems to be make up their own approach. FOR $800!!!

My Maximus-3 tow kit just arrived via UPS -- I feel like sending it back and looking for another solution.
Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
this has been an interesting thread - and thanks for everyone's posts and lately showing the application of the new frame connection kit.

I just purchased a Rubicon 2 weeks ago - before I read this thread, I had M3 Tow Loops on order - actually, their Tow Kit with Blue Ox adaptors. The frame connection kit is not part of the Tow Kit.

Now we're at $800 for a baseplate solution.... and a pretty janky installation that everyone seems to be make up their own approach. FOR $800!!!

My Maximus-3 tow kit just arrived via UPS -- I feel like sending it back and looking for another solution.
Welcome! Look at the bright side, some of us installed/uninstalled a couple times while Maximus was getting this all figured out. You'll only have to do it once :) Kidding aside I won't try to sway you. This flat tow solution is now one of the most robust available for the Wrangler. Regarding your sticker shock aren't most base plates around $500-$600? You could make your own tie rod for like $50 instead of buying Maximus's for $130. Lastly regarding the Blue Ox clevis's you are quoting for $230, are you going to need to buy new clevis's if you choose another tow solution ($230+cost of base plate) or are you sitting on a pair that already fit say a BO base plate?

jmait769

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited, 1977 Scout SSII

I went with the Roadmaster 521456-5 base plate exactly because of the cost you mentioned after looking into it. The base plate was $430 from eTrailer.

5D1B94AC-88A4-451E-A322-37F59DF69706.jpeg
52CC5F42-516D-4F68-B93C-EB19BBC6345B.jpeg
7AF97D56-1217-4F8E-A3A6-33541CFC2D76.jpeg

sgemelos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I was looking at the Roadmaster setup - it also looks very clean, tucked away a bit to maintain ground clearance.

The bummer though is that the Maximus Tow Loop doubles as a recovery point.

Do you think the safety chain loops can be used as recovery points?

I went with the Roadmaster 521456-5 base plate exactly because of the cost you mentioned after looking into it. The base plate was $430 from eTrailer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops 7AF97D56-1217-4F8E-A3A6-33541CFC2D76
I

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
I have the tow loops and never have any intention to ever flat tow, glad they didn’t force me to buy the complete tow package. To be honest I bought it because I like how it looks, at worst, it can be a recovery point. I also installed the rears

71F84E72-9EFA-4E46-85DC-859E9E7486FA.jpeg

CE6E5AC1-164C-4A2F-A28F-1A1B6E9A4536.jpeg

Sponsored

jmait769

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at the Roadmaster setup - it also looks very clean, tucked away a bit to maintain ground clearance.

The bummer though is that the Maximus Tow Loop doubles as a recovery point.

Do you think the safety chain loops can be used as recovery points?
I don’t but guess they could be used in a pinch. The length and 1/4” thickness would probably bend if pulled at even a slight angle.
DB028855-ED73-47C1-8961-1A8BA8E1C7BD.jpeg

My opinion is that anything less than 1” thick and well tied into the bumper (welded) is not adequate for recovery.
FCAC493E-C8F1-48D1-9B7E-F0A23FA6DD5F.jpeg

I’m relying on the winch for any recovery. 😀

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops FCAC493E-C8F1-48D1-9B7E-F0A23FA6DD5F
Understand that the Roadmaster you installed is several generations as Roadmaster has in recent years casued damage to the supporting frame structure of the Wranglers similar to M#. In addition the Roadmaster baseplate is seveeal parts welded together, whereas as more often thatn not base plate failures as well as Bumper towing failures are casued from over stressed welds that fail over time. I am not saying tgat the Roadmaster baseplate you used is a problem however due to its welded components it does wequire more rigorous instection and un fortinately somew of those welds are concealed by the bumper requiring periodic bumper removal to inspoect those welds.

This is why I decided against the Roadmaster and stuck with Maximus whereas the solid 3/4" steel tow loop there are no welds to fail since theat 3/4" plate is through bolted to the side of the main frame.

Look I originally had a Blue Ox base plate that broke a weld, I was fortunate to catch it in time. Welds seem to be the weak link of any tow system.

Also not that the Roadmaster baseplate prevents mounting of recessed winches which is how most winch plates mount. The Maximus 3 has no winch interferance.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Let me add to @Twojayhawks observations. The reason maximus added the tie rod is to reduce the lateral forces that were casuing the loops to bend and crack the frame horns. It should be noted that the Roadmaster base plate has also had an issue with cracking frame horns. Just becuase Roadmaster is NOT selling a Tie rod with thier base plate does not mean thier base plate should not use one. In Fact what Roadmaster does is they have a Tie rod option for thier Tow bars instead of with thier base plate. So technically that cost is there for both Maximus and Roadmaster and it is optional with both. The Tie rod is not a base plate component it is a Tow bar component. Maximus since they accomodate all tow bars they offer the Tie Rod option. So if you are using the Roadnmaster towbar and you also have the optional tie rod/plate with say the nighthawk then you do not need to the Maximus Tie rod. The cost is all relevent.

By the way of you are running Blue Ox you would need adapters for the Roadmaster also.

The real comparison cost is the base plate and frame tie in which is equivalenmt to Roadmaster and Curt/Blue Ox you should need adapters and should use Tie Rod for all of them.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the tow loops and never have any intention to ever flat tow, glad they didn’t force me to buy the complete tow package. To be honest I bought it because I like how it looks, at worst, it can be a recovery point. I also installed the rears

Note: the maximus 3 loops are not a good recovery point without the frame tie in. Without the frame tie in they only bolt to the very thin frame horn and easily break with any lateral forces.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Not going to try to sway anyone either as I had the frustration of the early units. I can tell you that I have towed for over 6,000 miles with the new system and have had zero issues. The main reason I went with Maximus was for the clearance as I rock crawl with this and hit all the hard trails. The Roadmaster is a fine kit, I have it for my grand Cherokee L. I have use Blue Ox before on a toad as well. Both great companies and if you are not hitting the harder trails will be fine for your Wrangler. They just do not provide as much clearance.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Note: the maximus 3 loops are not a good recovery point without the frame tie in. Without the frame tie in they only bolt to the very thin frame horn and easily break with any lateral forces.
What data do you have to prove that statement? I have yet to hear of one of these shearing off? Most D ring mounts I see people using for recovery are not bolted or welded all the way through the bumper and people are using them every day. It would take one hell of a pull to do anything other than bend these.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What data do you have to prove that statement? I have yet to hear of one of these shearing off? Most D ring mounts I see people using for recovery are not bolted or welded all the way through the bumper and people are using them every day. It would take one hell of a pull to do anything other than bend these.
First off I am referring to the Tow loops without the frame tie in (even then lateral pulls you run the risk of bending the tow loop)... Second both frame horns on my wrangler are cracked from the pre-frame tie in towing, so personal experience also supports that . I also had the bent tow loops. The tow loops without the Tie rod are NOT designed for any lateral forces and recovery often requires lateral pulls.

You realize that Jeep does not warranty any equipment failures from recovery events, they provide NO guaranty of thier recovery hooks or mounting. There are limits. Just watch Matts Offroad on Youtube to see factory recovery hooks fail or become damaged. By the way all newer cars are required to have factory front recovery point/connections the Wrangler just happen to be visible hooks. Using factory recoivery pooints does not mean the vehicle will not be damaged wehn using them.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

First off I am referring to the Tow loops without the frame tie in (even then lateral pulls you run the risk of bending the tow loop)... Second both frame horns on my wrangler are cracked from the pre-frame tie in towing, so personal experience also supports that . I also had the bent tow loops. The tow loops without the Tie rod are NOT designed for any lateral forces and recovery often requires lateral pulls.

You realize that Jeep does not warranty any equipment failures from recovery events, they provide NO guaranty of thier recovery hooks or mounting. There are limits. Just watch Matts Offroad on Youtube to see factory recovery hooks fail or become damaged. By the way all newer cars are required to have factory front recovery point/connections the Wrangler just happen to be visible hooks. Using factory recoivery pooints does not mean the vehicle will not be damaged wehn using them.
I never said Jeep warranties recovery points all I said is that you have zero data to back up that the Maximus tow hook without frame tie in are not a good point for recovery vs other options out there. They may bend under extreme pressure but will not snap off. They are tied in better than most other recovery points that people use. I have never heard of one bending from recovery, only from the constant force of towing and stopping.

jmait769

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also not that the Roadmaster baseplate prevents mounting of recessed winches which is how most winch plates mount. The Maximus 3 has no winch interferance.
This is incorrect - Roadmaster base plate, recessed Aztec winch mount and Zeon 10s winch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops 064D16A3-8EC0-4F7C-BFAF-8249C0BA0CBE

Let me add to @Twojayhawks observations. The reason maximus added the tie rod is to reduce the lateral forces that were casuing the loops to bend and crack the frame horns. It should be noted that the Roadmaster base plate has also had an issue with cracking frame horns. Just becuase Roadmaster is NOT selling a Tie rod with thier base plate does not mean thier base plate should not use one. In Fact what Roadmaster does is they have a Tie rod option for thier Tow bars instead of with thier base plate. So technically that cost is there for both Maximus and Roadmaster and it is optional with both. The Tie rod is not a base plate component it is a Tow bar component. Maximus since they accomodate all tow bars they offer the Tie Rod option. So if you are using the Roadnmaster towbar and you also have the optional tie rod/plate with say the nighthawk then you do not need to the Maximus Tie rod.
Roadmaster sells two styles of base plates - direct connect and crossbar style. The 521456-5 base plate I installed is a direct connect and a crossbar is not required.

Now if it was this style of Roadmaster I would definitely use a crossbar.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops 34C59AA2-5355-496D-91FC-77AA3FDB50BA

I just upgrade from a plastic bumper to the OEM bumper and had to replace the old Roadmaster base plate. The old baseplate is three years old and has over 30K miles of towing on it. Looks brand new, no damage to Jeep and no crossbar required.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops FE1525F8-B543-451B-B914-33753FCE8B1F

I do agree that the Jeep has very thin frame horns and anything bolted to this area for towing or recover should be inspected frequently.

I too am not trying to persuade anyone either way. Just sharing what I did when I looked at cost and what I felt was the safest way to tow the Jeep along with adding a winch to it.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

This is incorrect - Roadmaster base plate, recessed Aztec winch mount and Zeon 10s winch.

Roadmaster sells two styles of base plates - direct connect and crossbar style. The 521456-5 base plate I installed is a direct connect and a crossbar is not required.

Now if it was this style of Roadmaster I would definitely use a crossbar.

I just upgrade from a plastic bumper to the OEM bumper and had to replace the old Roadmaster base plate. The old baseplate is three years old and has over 30K miles of towing on it. Looks brand new, no damage to Jeep and no crossbar required.

I do agree that the Jeep has very thin frame horns and anything bolted to this area for towing or recover should be inspected frequently.

I too am not trying to persuade anyone either way. Just sharing what I did when I looked at cost and what I felt was the safest way to tow the Jeep along with adding a winch to it.
Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure why some forum members state items as factual when they have no direct experience... Your kit looks really similar to the Grand Cherokee L kit. Installing the kit on the GCL was a pain in the butt, required entire front fascia to come off and a lot of cutting and trimming of metal. However, it is super sturdy!
Sponsored