Manual Windows

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
My 2 door Sport has manual windows and locks. It has a/c and auto tranny, LSD, A/T tires and hard top added, with tinted windows and Mopar floor trays. Still came in 5000 cheaper than Sport S (I got a nice dealer discount), and I dont miss the power windows a bit. Everything else on the S package I'd have deleted anyway.
I did the same with the exception of the shift stick. Less electronics the better : )
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Good idea. I have that same problem. The knob digs in right under my kneecap, and it’s really annoying.

When I go to prying on things plastic, I tend to break them though.

If someone else rotates or has rotated the crank, please report!
Its pretty easy to do. The official mopar instructions call for a removal tool but I use a screwdriver just fine. Push in on the door panel a bit and you will see the clip. The hard part is putting the clip back in but with some long needle nose pliers its easy. It's honestly a 1-2 minute job.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 9.30.58 AM.png

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Its pretty easy to do. The official mopar instructions call for a removal tool but I use a screwdriver just fine. Push in on the door panel a bit and you will see the clip. The hard part is putting the clip back in but with some long needle nose pliers its easy. It's honestly a 1-2 minute job.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 9.30.58 AM.png

Thanks Ruben. You have helped me a lot, and I appreciate it.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Isn't the internet a wonderful place?

Sponsored

Khojack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Mine is A 2019 JLU Sport in Bikini Pearl and I love it. My wife thinks it's crazy you can still buy a vehicle without power windows and locks however.
I can, while driving, roll down all four windows from the driver seat although they all are a bit of a contortion or stretch to do so.
Unlocking the rear doors by reaching in from the fronts is not really much of an issue for me. Mostly, I just leave the doors unlocked and nothing of much value inside the Jeep.
I agree the rear axle upgrade is a required option, and I also have trailer tow and hardtop with tinted windows.
I only have about 1800 miles so far on my first Wrangler (corporate lease) but enjoying it every time I drive it. I know I'll have to buy one sometime so I can start adding modifications...
I do the same thing. We a jlu sport with only auto, hard top, and floor mats as non standard upgrades. All four of us just carry backpacks since we never lock the car. If they want to steal 3 phone cables, mints, and floss go right ahead.
I will say that we do at times lock the tailgate as we noticed it does keep the rear storage basket from being opened.
Rock rails were the first upgrades and then roof rack and door hinge steps.
Next will be a tow hinge and lift.
With manual doors and locks i know its lighter during removal and hangs.

20190723_204340.jpg

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone removed or repositioned the window crank handle? If so, what were the steps?

My OCD is going crazy knowing that the driver and passenger side don't line up when closed... plus, the passenger side is in an awkward position so that it often winds up getting hit and cracking the window open just enough to add to the interior wind noise.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Has anyone removed or repositioned the window crank handle? If so, what were the steps?

My OCD is going crazy knowing that the driver and passenger side don't line up when closed... plus, the passenger side is in an awkward position so that it often winds up getting hit and cracking the window open just enough to add to the interior wind noise.
Post # 77.

rumblejeep

First Name
Doublehaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sahara

Cant you just leave the handles as is and take some kind of medication for your OCD ? Medicinal pot is available !;)

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
My cheap brother-in-law bought one without power windows. Ticked me off because I promised to buy it after 2 years for my grandson. Oh well, I guess he will have to learn to drive without the nice features. Sorta like the 64 Chevy I learned to drive in
Love my manual windows. The only time I even think of it is when some one mentions it on the forum.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Haven't thought about them in years since we always seem to have auto in every vehicle we've bought the last few decades. I was looking at JK's and a few really nice ones that are reasonably priced have mechanical windows. I need trailering hook up, ac, and some good tires and everything else is just gravy. Nice, but not essential. Heck, I remember when I was too poor to afford the ac!

Anyway, mechanical windows never bothered me in the '70's-'90's, but I guess I got spoiled the last few decades? I think I'd be just fine and dandy with old fashioned mechanical windows? Anyone get the mechanical ones and regret their decision?

Thanks!

mechanical windows will never fail you , in fact I think I may get a T shirt with the crank handle and a big red heart

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
mechanical windows will never fail you , in fact I think I may get a T shirt with the crank handle and a big red heart
Ha ha. Millennials will stupefied trying to figure your shirt out.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Haven't thought about them in years since we always seem to have auto in every vehicle we've bought the last few decades. I was looking at JK's and a few really nice ones that are reasonably priced have mechanical windows. I need trailering hook up, ac, and some good tires and everything else is just gravy. Nice, but not essential. Heck, I remember when I was too poor to afford the ac!

Anyway, mechanical windows never bothered me in the '70's-'90's, but I guess I got spoiled the last few decades? I think I'd be just fine and dandy with old fashioned mechanical windows? Anyone get the mechanical ones and regret their decision?

Thanks!
I like the fact the JL is still offered with bare bones for anyone who want's it. Anyone who is on a tighter budget still has a opportunity to own a JL.

It's pretty hard not to enjoy a Wrangler no matter what kind of windows. I have power windows on my JLR but I am sure I would enjoy it just as much if it had crank up windows. Pretty much forget about windows once the doors are off. lol.

My first Wrangler was a very early "97 TJ. It was the most basic Wrangler available. Crank-up windows would have been a luxury for me. I had the half doors with the soft zipper windows. Talk about a pain in the ass under some conditions like a drive-through. lol. As expected, the soft plastic zipper windows got slashed so I bought sliding-glass windows. The sliders were not the most convenient either but I got used to them easily. They also were not the best when it rained. LOTS of adventures and great memories in that TJ. I put something like 160K miles on it. And it was far from problem free but I still loved it for what it was. That basic TJ was one of my all time favorite vehicles.

I am sure you will enjoy your Wrangler no matter what windows it has. Hopefully your area has nice weather and you can enjoy it with the doors off.
Sponsored

Last edited: