Ozarkpaddler

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
Ohh okay, thanks for the info. Honestly for only $600, a D44 rear with a limited slip is a no brainer, you'd be crazy not to opt for that.
Well, IMHO, it shouldn't be an option on ANY model of a Wrangler? Until I decided it's time to satisfy my Jeep urge, I just made the assumption that a limited slip differential was standard on a Jeep. I found out that it's something I'll have to make certain of when I'm buying.

I called a dealer this week about a JK Rubicon that was a good deal, but it was already out the door. Eying another in my preferred color, Granite, and a Black Willys (the one with the manual windows). Unfortunately I have to drive 2hrs to the city to get deals, or I would have been in the showroom already. Hopefully early next week?

Thanks again, this has been a very informative thread! You'all have a great weekend!
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
In another thread it's been noted that FCA is now requiring the LSD option with the manual.

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Haven't thought about them in years since we always seem to have auto in every vehicle we've bought the last few decades. I was looking at JK's and a few really nice ones that are reasonably priced have mechanical windows. I need trailering hook up, ac, and some good tires and everything else is just gravy. Nice, but not essential. Heck, I remember when I was too poor to afford the ac!

Anyway, mechanical windows never bothered me in the '70's-'90's, but I guess I got spoiled the last few decades? I think I'd be just fine and dandy with old fashioned mechanical windows? Anyone get the mechanical ones and regret their decision?

Thanks!
I just picked up a JLU Sport with manual everything. The first night, I went to grab my bag from the rear seat and realized that I had to give my jeep an old fashioned reach around to unlock the back door, which doesn't have a way to unlock from the outside.

I found this thread while looking for ways to install power locks. Might have to wait a few months while the aftermarket catches up.

lumberjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2 dr to be
I had a 2001 TJ and 2012 JK - BOTH manual locks and windows. To me, it was easy to operate and preferred but I do have longish arms and it was easy to reach over to the passenger side and operate the lock and window. I sat in a Rubi at the LA Auto show and it should be no issue for me on the JL either.

It actually saddens me that to keep these items manual I have to order a base Sport because with a base Sport I cannot order the upgraded soft top or LED lights (nope, to get LED lights I have to go all the way up to a Rubi that honestly I do not need - not a hard core rock crawler), and other than the Aux Switches and Towing Packing that is all I want - I could live without the LEDs. I actually want a Sport S with Manual locks and windows! I guess I am the weirdo but they were easy to operate on both my prior Jeeps and I put 140k miles on my JK Sport S. For me, the simpler the better and makes me smile while driving my Wrangler around.

Maybe if I wait to order my Wrangler then with a little time FCA with be less "soup Nazi" on how these models are optioned, or the lack there of on the base model? Good lord, I would even pay the same price for a Sport S or Rubi I could delete the power group from; please do not read this FCA.
I'll second that.
Power Window delete

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
I'm most likely leaning toward a Sport or Sport S Unlimited.

So far here is the difference I've found when comparing standard features.

1. Power windows
2. Power remote locks
3. Power/heated side view mirrors
4. Alloy wheels
5. Automatic headlights
6. A/C on 2 door
7. Illuminated vanity mirrors
8. Available option availability such as dual top, premium soft top, tech group, remote start, safety group, etc.

Did I miss anything?
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows are standard on Sport S, but optional on the base Sport.

Sponsored

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Mine is A 2019 JLU Sport in Bikini Pearl and I love it. My wife thinks it's crazy you can still buy a vehicle without power windows and locks however.
I can, while driving, roll down all four windows from the driver seat although they all are a bit of a contortion or stretch to do so.
Unlocking the rear doors by reaching in from the fronts is not really much of an issue for me. Mostly, I just leave the doors unlocked and nothing of much value inside the Jeep.
I agree the rear axle upgrade is a required option, and I also have trailer tow and hardtop with tinted windows.
I only have about 1800 miles so far on my first Wrangler (corporate lease) but enjoying it every time I drive it. I know I'll have to buy one sometime so I can start adding modifications...

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I had the manual windows on my JK and now on my JLU. I got along with them just fine and didn't miss power windows or door.

I've changed power window motors in the past. It's a PITA.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Haven't thought about them in years since we always seem to have auto in every vehicle we've bought the last few decades. I was looking at JK's and a few really nice ones that are reasonably priced have mechanical windows. I need trailering hook up, ac, and some good tires and everything else is just gravy. Nice, but not essential. Heck, I remember when I was too poor to afford the ac!

Anyway, mechanical windows never bothered me in the '70's-'90's, but I guess I got spoiled the last few decades? I think I'd be just fine and dandy with old fashioned mechanical windows? Anyone get the mechanical ones and regret their decision?

Thanks![/QUOT

If I had a 4 door I would go with electrical windows but for my 2 dr. I picked the crank windows and it works 100% all the time

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

Thanks!

Don’t miss power windows a bit.

I’m surprised how annoying manual door locks are, though.

I don’t regret not paying $3000 for the package, though.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I bought a Sport and honestly don’t regret the decision. I don’t miss power windows one bit as my kids find it exciting to roll windows down and up. I did install power locks though. You can find my write up at my blog below.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
No power anything here and no regrets. When the doors are off, a lot of those luxuries become irrelevant including A/C, power door locks, power windows, power mirrors... Also, I have yet to lock any of the doors in over a year of ownership.

I do have Tuffy console safe and security deck so anything I don't wish stolen goes in there.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
My 2 door Sport has manual windows and locks. It has a/c and auto tranny, LSD, A/T tires and hard top added, with tinted windows and Mopar floor trays. Still came in 5000 cheaper than Sport S (I got a nice dealer discount), and I dont miss the power windows a bit. Everything else on the S package I'd have deleted anyway.

Last edited:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I got a 2 door Willy’s with manual windows and the window crank hits me right in the knee when driving. It’s awful and I’m looking for a remedy.
Usually the crank can be removed and rotated so that the handle clears your knee, assuming that you usually drive with the window in the same position.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Usually the crank can be removed and rotated so that the handle clears your knee, assuming that you usually drive with the window in the same position.

Good idea. I have that same problem. The knob digs in right under my kneecap, and it’s really annoying.

When I go to prying on things plastic, I tend to break them though.

If someone else rotates or has rotated the crank, please report!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I havent looked yet, but normally you just pop out the little cap at the center of the crank and undo the screw. It's an old people thing.
Sponsored