Manual Trans Remote Start question

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
I do apologize if this has already been covered and for my lack of technical knowledge, but I'm a bit confused. I thought the whole reason remote start doesn't work in a manual is because the system can't tell if the vehicle is in neutral or not. However, I noticed that when my jeep is running, the current gear (including neutral) is displayed in my instrument gauge. That being the case, how have they not developed a remote start that will work with a manual?
Sponsored

OP
OP
lopab23

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Short answer: they can't make it idiot proof.
lololololol

Ok, I do get that. However, my point is if they have designed a system smart enough for the car to know which gear I'm in, then it should be able to tell the remote start system whether or not it's in neutral. I'm sure I'm over-simplifying this, but there is probably a technical piece to this puzzle that I'm not aware of. Does anyone actually know why? :)

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
lololololol

Ok, I do get that. However, my point is if they have designed a system smart enough for the car to know which gear I'm in, then it should be able to tell the remote start system whether or not it's in neutral. I'm sure I'm over-simplifying this, but there is probably a technical piece to this puzzle that I'm not aware of. Does anyone actually know why? :)
Well the manual does state that when parking a manual jeep the transmission should be engaged in gear and the parking brake applied. They can't say that and then tell you to not keep it in gear if you have a remote start.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I do apologize if this has already been covered and for my lack of technical knowledge, but I'm a bit confused. I thought the whole reason remote start doesn't work in a manual is because the system can't tell if the vehicle is in neutral or not. However, I noticed that when my jeep is running, the current gear (including neutral) is displayed in my instrument gauge. That being the case, how have they not developed a remote start that will work with a manual?
You shouldn’t be leaving a manual transmission in neutral when it is parked. The transmission holds the vehicle stationary whether it is automatic or manual. Relying on just the parking brake would be irresponsible.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Also, I believe the system that tells "you" what gear you are in is on when the ignition is on, not battery.

Moosebear

First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 84 Chevy M1008, 22 Axial SCX6
I’m honestly surprised no one has figured out how to install and enable the factory remote start. You can do that with just about every other option/package…

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
You shouldn’t be leaving a manual transmission in neutral when it is parked. The transmission holds the vehicle stationary whether it is automatic or manual. Relying on just the parking brake would be irresponsible.
On my manual, I’ve always left it in neutral + the emergency brake (never in gear). Is there a technical reason as to why this is irresponsible:?

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
On my manual, I’ve always left it in neutral + the emergency brake (never in gear). Is there a technical reason as to why this is irresponsible:?
Because the parking brake is only intended as a back up should your vehicle pop out of gear. It is not intended as a primary way to secure the vehicle. This is the same reason that you always curb your wheels when parking. Any vehicle that has a manual transmission will state this in the owners manual. Out of curiosity who taught you to not leave your vehicle in 1st gear or reverse? Not being rude just wondering where this is taught. I have seen a few roll always in my days.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I left my manual PU running in neutral with parking brake only to charge the battery while loading. Heard a loud “TING” , truck rolled a few feet to the steep part of the driveway and took off through my closed gate across the street and into the neighbors chain link fence. Had somebody been in the street at that time it could have been a disaster. Don’t trust the parking brake!

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
lololololol

It's a liability thing. You CAN install a remote start on a manual. Most places won't do it, but you can DIY by all means. I did this to a couple VW cars that were supposed to be 'impossible.' The trick is to have an output or relay from the module spoof the clutch switch. You can go through a complex 'ready' procedure with a Viper system or similar, but simulating the clutch is the easiest way. There is also the key...you need to hide a fob or valet key somewhere for the immobilizer. Yes, I understand the Jeeps have a gear indicator now, there is a 'range position' sensor. Why they don't utilize this is beyond me.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
By doing it with the Viper setup there is no way of remote starting it in gear. No bypassing the clutch safety. 10 years in my daily with zero incidents and car has never rolled away on the E-brake
The parking brake on a JL is a tiny drum setup inside the rear calipers. No way in hell I’d trust parking mine in neutral. Remote start on a manual transmission is just silly.

OP
OP
lopab23

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The parking brake on a JL is a tiny drum setup inside the rear calipers. No way in hell I’d trust parking mine in neutral. Remote start on a manual transmission is just silly.
It's not so silly when you live in an area where temps can remain below freezing for weeks and even months at a time. ;-) I do hear what you are saying though. Does anyone know if there are any e-brake upgrade options for our JL's?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's not so silly when you live in an area where temps can remain below freezing for weeks and even months at a time. ;-) I do hear what you are saying though. Does anyone know if there are any e-brake upgrade options for our JL's?
I don’t mean silly for practicality, I mean silly for safety. Any hand brake is a mechanical device that can fail. Park in the garage or buy an automatic if you want remote start.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I actually made a 'switch' putting RS in a friends mini cooper and again another friends toyota corolla. Basically, I used two long springs from a little kit at HF, about the diameter of a screw, and screwed into them long ways holding them perpendicular to the shifter 1 in front and 1 in back so that both springs contacted the steel shifter rod in N, so if in any gear, it would disconnect the circuit, and this was a ground that triggered an input on the Rstart brain. That and the clutch input, but yes, definitely do-able.
Sponsored