OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Just the opposite.

Jeep has been using the ZF-based automatic transmission since 2014. With the exception of Viper, it’s been in FCA’s entire portfolio of RWD based vehicles.

The Aisin manual transmission is all new with no reliability or repair data and FCA has not used it in any other vehicle.
If I’m not mistaken, Toyota uses this transmission. That gives me some confidence that reliability will not be an issue.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Frankly I think modern automatic transmissions make manuals obsolete. Manual shifting was a thing because automatics were so slow, sluggish, unreliable and taxing the already emissions-choked horsepower.

Sure it's more expensive to repair, no doubt about it.

As for the "driving experience", I never hear those same people bemoaning their power steering and power brakes both of which all but eliminate the feel of what's happening beneath their tires.
It’s true that these days manual transmissions aren’t better than automatics. But if you are saying the driving experience of a manual and an automatic are basically the same because of power steering and brakes than i strongly disagree. Driving experience is the only reason to get a manual and it is why many of us do.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
If I’m not mistaken, Toyota uses this transmission. That gives me some confidence that reliability will not be an issue.
Not used by Toyota currently but Toyata is a part owner of Aisin, if that means anything. Aside from who builds them, manual transmissions are inherently more reliable because they have a lot less parts and are simpler in design than auto transmissions.

Personally, if Wrangler did not offer a manual transmission, I would not have bought one. No regrets here.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Gears 1, 5, and 6 are pointless, I drive it like it was a 3 speed, and do just fine.

@OP, the Turbo Automatic seems to get 20-21 mpg, or that is what I read from others on this site. The manual, with 3.6L, I get 16 mpg, and that is great for me. If I want fuel efficiency, I drive my Civic.

I say get the manual, it's too much fun to drive any other way.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Not used by Toyota currently but Toyata is a part owner of Aisin, if that means anything. Aside from who builds them, manual transmissions are inherently more reliable because they have a lot less parts and are simpler in design than auto transmissions.

Personally, if Wrangler did not offer a manual transmission, I would not have bought one. No regrets here.
Amen.

I only am interested in Manual, as 95% of the time, I'm by myself and 4.9% of the rest of the time, I'm driving, with the 0.1% being someone I trust behind the wheel, or teaching someone

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
I have a manual JK and an auto JL. The auto feels faster. But I enjoy driving the JK because I get to shift. I do a fair amount of off-roading and rock crawling but with the rubicon transfer case all I do is let off the clutch and it just crawls up anything. Driving around town I get to have fun shifting.

If I was driving dirt roads and retired I’d get the manual. More fun for me.

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I went back and forth. I decided that I wanted to be engaged in a vehicle again. Been 20 years of raising kids and now they are in college, and I retired early, I wanted something for me. The auto was great, but really boring to me. The stick gave me a connection that I just could not get with the auto. Certain times, the auto would be better, like on a trip where the terrain changes. The biggest thing I don't like and this is a credit to Jeep, is that the engine is so smooth and the Jeep so quiet, it takes a lot of practice to launch the vehicle with out too much throttle or not enough:)

Jeeper Fever mentioned that 1,5,6 and meaningless. I sort of agree, except I like 1st just to get moving, and 6th is only if you are on a trip going 75 and relatively flat ground. I use 5th all time between 60 and 70. But I feel engaged and enjoy something that gives me control and some fun.

Plus, 8 speeds...8th is useless (see my 6th gear thoughts) and costs $1875 after negotiation. My manual is free:) Of course my ongoing labor of shifting not included in the analysis:)

Harper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.myjeepadventures.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Black and Tan
Just joined the site and about to buy our 1st Wrangler. Great site, have learned much, thanks! We are planning to order a 2020 Sahara with options we want (8.4 Infotainment, Cold Weather Group, Tow Package). Live in SW Virginia, it will be my primary car but am retired so not a commuter and live in a rural area so not much traffic. Plan to ride country gravel and dirt back roads but not serious off road stuff. Thinking of buying a manual, haven’t had one in years but have always enjoyed (other than when sitting in traffic) and figure heck if I’m getting a Jeep, manual seems to be the way to go. Any reason or benefits that would make you say we should go with either the regular automatic or Turbo automatic over the manual? Any other options you think we should get (and why)? Thanks!
I just got my 2020... manual, and it's so good. The AISIN / AWTEC transmission is awesome. I got all the options too (adaptive cruise, premium audio, heated steering wheel...) this was not a cost decision, it was a preference, and I'm so happy with it. I haven't owned a stick in a long time, and it's great to be back...

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just joined the site and about to buy our 1st Wrangler. Great site, have learned much, thanks! We are planning to order a 2020 Sahara with options we want (8.4 Infotainment, Cold Weather Group, Tow Package). Live in SW Virginia, it will be my primary car but am retired so not a commuter and live in a rural area so not much traffic. Plan to ride country gravel and dirt back roads but not serious off road stuff. Thinking of buying a manual, haven’t had one in years but have always enjoyed (other than when sitting in traffic) and figure heck if I’m getting a Jeep, manual seems to be the way to go. Any reason or benefits that would make you say we should go with either the regular automatic or Turbo automatic over the manual? Any other options you think we should get (and why)? Thanks!

This is a good question which you can only answer. I have owned only manual transmission jeeps over the years, so I'm biased. Let's say your at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and your battery dies, yes a jump start will work with an automatic. If your starter motor is dead (not solenoid which can be bi-passed) the chance of getting a new one is impossible. With a manual, a quick push, with a jumped clutch will get you started. I had a fellow camper who had this problem. He waited 2 days for a wrecker from Page to come and tow his vehicle (200 miles round trip). Another fiend had his Jeep Wrangler die in Mexico. Yes he had it towed to AZ. I prefer manuals, even thought my other 3 vehicles are manual (not out of choice). Some people basically don't know how to drive a manual, that's understood. being an old fart I grew up on manuals. The new manual on the Wrangler is so slick, the best they ever used, and experienced person could easily master in a short time. Basically it's your call, if you will never be in remote areas where help is close by, or buddies can tow you home and automatic would be OK. If you live in NYC or LA, go Auto. Yes my wife ws taught on a manual, and has no problem driving them. PS, don't try an buy a new pickup with manual, the selection is probably limited to Toyota.

KrazyKirk

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Living in Delaware and traveling interstate 95 in a with vehicle with manual transmissions, your leg wears out on the 45 minute to an hour crawl home for 20 miles. Now with route 1 to the beaches tied into 95 it is worse. Having purchased my 2018 JLU Sahara with the automatic I am very happy. I have a 2" BDS lift with 35's on 17" wheels with a +6 offset. I have no issues and only lost about a mile per gallon riding on the Grabber 3 tires. The Jeep works great on the beaches and and I travel some beaches where the articulation on the dunes is intense. The automatic does so well I have no complaints. Just my thoughts as I am sure there are others that are happy with the manual.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
I chose the 8speed auto and love it. I worked in the trucking industry for several decades and I'm tired of shifting gears

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Grew up driving manual. Last two trucks (Tacoma) were auto. No complaints, great trucks. But when I decided to get a Jeep, manual was the only choice for me. I would not have gotten a JLU if manual hadn't been an option. I only have 2700 miles on it so far, but I love it.

johnrb3b

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com
Vehicle(s)
'54 CJ-3B '57 Station Wagon 2019JL
Occupation
retired
I learned on stick, been driving stick for 60 years. Have always hated automatics. Remember the Chevy Powerglide or the Buick Dynaflow? That's why I never liked autos.
My 2010 JK was a stick and it was the worst manual transmission I've ever owned or driven. 1st and 2nd gear synchronizers were just terrible. But I still preferred shifting for myself despite the poor transmission. Otherwise, I loved my JK.
But
I'm 70 yrs old and my left knee is going bad on me. So the JK is gone and a new JL with the automatic is here.
And
I have to admit it's the best auto I've ever driven. I can live with it. I may even grow to like it. And, since it has a manual mode, I can tell it what gear I want under most circumstances. Kind of the best of both worlds. I'll let you know how I feel after I'm home from my 4,000 mi. trip to the Mojave - pulling a trailer.
We shall see.
Sponsored