Sponsored

Leasing decision: manual or automatic? Upgrade to S?

Bdmoore99

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Hello everyone. Looking for advice on leasing a new JL as a first time Wrangler owner. Couldn’t be more excited.

Question is - do you recommend a manual or the new 8 spd automatic transmission. Also - is upgrading to the S also a necessity?

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Hello everyone. Looking for advice on leasing a new JL as a first time Wrangler owner. Couldn’t be more excited.

Question is - do you recommend a manual or the new 8 spd automatic transmission. Also - is upgrading to the S also a necessity?

Thanks!!!!
I don’t think the sport has a/c

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Will you be getting a 2 or 4 door? The S package on the 4 door gives you A/C which is a definite thing you'll want since you're leasing. Anything that makes the value of the Jeep stay higher at resale time will benefit you on lease payments.

I recommend the automatic. Better gearing, more convenience, can still be shifted manually, less maintenance, proven worldwide in multiple vehicles and brands, etc.

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Its going to be hard to find a jeep on the lot to lease with a manual in it, most dealers order auto's. The sport has A/C as an option and I doubt that a dealer would order a jeep without A/C.

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume most leases are going to auto trans, but from just a pure recommendation, the new 8 speed auto is fantastic. The JLU accelerates like a boss, and decelerates well too as it goes through the gears. I'm super impressed. I almost got a manual mostly to prevent the wife from driving it, but figured she'd make me teach her to drive stick anyway and would then be extra wear and tear. I'm kind of kidding ;)

The upgraded options on the S make it almost mandatory in my mind.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Thanks!!!!
I have the 6 speed manual. Although it shifts smoothly it's not a quick shifting 6 speed. Also a bit noisier than most manuals. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it overall a 6 or 7. In this day and age I should be able to shift gears without!! hesitation or delay. But I would still pick it over an automatic. Can't comment on the 8 speed as I never test drove it.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So why lease a vehicle like a Jeep? That’s so limiting to modding it...:(

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
So why lease a vehicle like a Jeep? That’s so limiting to modding it...:(
This is ludicrously false. I lease mine a few months ago (I always lease cars) for a few reasons:

1. I like new cars.
2. I like lower payments.
3. I like 100% warranty no matter what

With this Jeep, I leased for an additional reason for the simple fact that I didn't know if it was going to be a piece of junk so that way when I have to turn it in, that is exactly what I would do; turn it in!. History has shown with Chrysler products not to necessarily get the initial new gen vehicle.

However, I fell in love with mine and modded it already. In fact, if you mod it AND turn it back in, then it increases your residual value at the end. (My best friend is a sales manager). With the money I've saved from larger payments, I can mod more :).

I have put the following on Sport S. (Again, its a lease)

1. Rubi rock rails
2. Xpel paint protection clear bra over the entire front end.
3. BFG 33
4. RC lift kit 2.5
5. LED lighting package
6. Tow package with harness.
7. Dual USB and 12V in the rear console.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
This is ludicrously false. I lease mine a few months ago (I always lease cars) for a few reasons:

1. I like new cars.
2. I like lower payments.
3. I like 100% warranty no matter what

With this Jeep, I leased for an additional reason for the simple fact that I didn't know if it was going to be a piece of junk so that way when I have to turn it in, that is exactly what I would do; turn it in!. History has shown with Chrysler products not to necessarily get the initial new gen vehicle.

However, I fell in love with mine and modded it already. In fact, if you mod it AND turn it back in, then it increases your residual value at the end. (My best friend is a sales manager).

I have put the following on mine. (Again, its a lease)

1. Rubi rock rails
2. Xpel paint protection clear bra over the entire front end.
3. BFG 33
4. RC lift kit 2.5
5. LED lighting package
6. Tow package with harness.
7. Dual USB and 12V in the rear console.
Pump the brakes a bit by calling it “ludicrously false”. I was a finance director for years. We I haven’t actually heard of a dealership reevaluating the value based on adds unless they were done at the time of purchase. If that’s what you did- then yes. But you won’t get the same benefit if you decide to add fun parts after the paperwork is signed.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
My 13 JK was a manual and I testdrove a 17 JK Auto. I swore I'd never get the Auto .. Fast forward, I bought a JL Auto. The 8 speed transmission woke the pentastar up. It's not the dog that the 17 I test drove was. With the 8 speed you also have auto stick so you get a little bit of both words

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Pump the brakes a bit by calling it “ludicrously false”. I was a finance director for years. We I haven’t actually heard of a dealership reevaluating the value based on adds unless they were done at the time of purchase. If that’s what you did- then yes. But you won’t get the same benefit if you decide to add fun parts after the paperwork is signed.
It's true. To make sure my friend wasn't full of crap, I stopped by a different dealership (where I did not purchase) and asked the same thing and he gave me the same answer. Perhaps it's something they don't want you to know, or the fact that the Wrangler is the only vehicle out there you buy to mod so the question doesn't pop up enough when you are negotiating.

When I step back to think about it, common sense just plays in. If my residual with NOTHING done to it is 30k (even round numbers here) just like any other Sport S, but with mine, has all the extra goodies, of course the residual is going to be more.

There is one thing to keep in mind though:

They aren't going to 'up' the residual price if you are going to keep it. That would be pointless and no one would ever do that deal if you were going to buy it straight out. I guess its more of a pseudo residual because if you turn the car back in, they will AT THAT TIME ONLY, re-evaluate and use the additional equity to take off of a new jeep since you are turning it back in. So if I keep it with my mods, 30k i buy for, however, if i turn it back in, perhaps it would be 33k (Just a random number here). At the end of the day, no matter what, you win this deal.

The ONLY way you lose, is if you turn the jeep back in and completely walk away from ANY deal and the dealership. That is when they will stick it to you :)

P.S. My ludicrous statement was to ensure no false comments are posted especially when I am talking from current experience (And my previous vehicle as well).

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My 13 JK was a manual and I testdrove a 17 JK Auto. I swore I'd never get the Auto .. Fast forward, I bought a JL Auto. The 8 speed transmission woke the pentastar up. It's not the dog that the 17 I test drove was. With the 8 speed you also have auto stick so you get a little bit of both words
I test drove a JK and a JL and that 1 year makes a HUGE difference. The JK felt like it was really top heavy around corners (atleast to me) and the engine just felt blah.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It's true. To make sure my friend wasn't full of crap, I stopped by a different dealership (where I did not purchase) and asked the same thing and he gave me the same answer.
Well, you're one lucky dude, then. I was going to lease my JL at first, but I was told only mods acceptable after paperwork would be typical extranneous things like decals that people do to pretty much any car. If I did anything more than that (lights, wiring, hood, doors, lift, etc.) I would HAVE to remove at lease end at my own risk: slightest hint of damage or change beyond state at paperwork and I would be slammed with fees. And this was coming from my sales rep who is a good friend of mine. He kinda pushed me away from leasing a Wrangler as long as I could feasibly afford it, actually.

I ended up buying because I knew I wanted to mod and I didn't want to run that risk. But if that's the case in your area, that's awesome!

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, you're one lucky dude, then. I was going to lease my JL at first, but I was told only mods acceptable after paperwork would be typical extranneous things like decals that people do to pretty much any car. If I did anything more than that (lights, wiring, hood, doors, lift, etc.) I would HAVE to remove at lease end at my own risk: slightest hint of damage or change beyond state at paperwork and I would be slammed with fees. And this was coming from my sales rep who is a good friend of mine. He kinda pushed me away from leasing a Wrangler as long as I could feasibly afford it, actually.

I ended up buying because I knew I wanted to mod and I didn't want to run that risk. But if that's the case in your area, that's awesome!
Exactly my friend :). I wasn't planning on walking away at the end so it was a no brainer to me. Either I was going to keep this one, or get a new wrangler in a few years. Either way it would have worked.

I knew before I even signed the paper that my heart better be in the Jeep brand for a while :).

PunknZ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
My finance guy during my lease paperwork told me usually at the end of the lease I can sell the car back to the dealership and make a small profit and move that money to another Jeep lease with how well they hold their value. Who knows if that is true, but it echos what some here are saying they’ve been told.
Sponsored