Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Could it be that the electric steering motor is locking up somehow at those speeds? I saw you were going to the dealer a week or so ago. Nothing from them? I’ll keep watching this thread.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
WOW! Be careful with that. You need to get to a GOOD dealership and show them that video!!! Any service manager with his/her salt is going to be all over getting that fixed for you!

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Could it be that the electric steering motor is locking up somehow at those speeds? I saw you were going to the dealer a week or so ago. Nothing from them? I’ll keep watching this thread.
They called in an engineer and couldn’t replicate the issue. The had computers hooked up and everything. They tried for a week and 200+ miles and couldn’t get it to do it again so I had them install 37s and I took it back. Lol

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
They called in an engineer and couldn’t replicate the issue. The had computers hooked up and everything. They tried for a week and 200+ miles and couldn’t get it to do it again so I had them install 37s and I took it back. Lol
Hahaha damn. Can the electric assist be disconnected somehow? To test if it is indeed the motor. That would just leave you without power steering but if it doesn’t lock up maybe that’s the case. Only to find the source of course.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hahaha damn. Can the electric assist be disconnected somehow? To test if it is indeed the motor. That would just leave you without power steering but if it doesn’t lock up maybe that’s the case. Only to find the source of course.
Not sure. Maybe. But that’s what it feels like. If you were to turn the car off while on the highway and tried to steer. That’s what happens to the steering. All assist is gone.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
No power steering would not feel to bad at speed. Noticeably tougher but not scary going to crashing feeling. Not having power steering is really only an arm work out in a parking lot, or doing a Y turn. Based on your discription and don’t think that is your issue.

No idea what is, almost seems as if the steering is being regulated by something. Maybe a linkage is broke/loose only falls out of place every once in a while????

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
That is absolutely crazy. Didn't they switch to an electric assisted steering this year? Must have a glitch. Talk about super dangerous - who knows when that will pop up again!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
OK they put 200 miles on it and could not reproduce. I believe originally you said this was intermittent. If you wanted to reproduce the problem right now could you? If you can I would take the engineer / mechanic for a ride and show them.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
OK they put 200 miles on it and could not reproduce. I believe originally you said this was intermittent. If you wanted to reproduce the problem right now could you? If you can I would take the engineer / mechanic for a ride and show them.
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce at will. It happens randomly but only over 60mph which is super dangerous when driving through the mountains as much as we do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No power steering would not feel to bad at speed. Noticeably tougher but not scary going to crashing feeling. Not having power steering is really only an arm work out in a parking lot, or doing a Y turn. Based on your discription and don’t think that is your issue.

No idea what is, almost seems as if the steering is being regulated by something. Maybe a linkage is broke/loose only falls out of place every once in a while????
This is 100% a power steering problem. Multiple people with same issue and it’s happened since we got the vehicle. Feels like the electric motor stops working and you have no way to steer until you slow down enough which hopefully won’t be too late in a turn and cause a wreck.

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Yeah, that's the first real safety issue that has been brought to light so far. Sketch...

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
This is 100% a power steering problem. Multiple people with same issue and it’s happened since we got the vehicle. Feels like the electric motor stops working and you have no way to steer until you slow down enough which hopefully won’t be too late in a turn and cause a wreck.
I’m not a mechanic and I haven’t felt the issue myself. Nor do I want to get into I know more than you pissing match on the forum. I have however driven vehicles without power steering before and a general rule is the faster you are moving the easier it is to steer, which was the opposite of what you described. In your video it looked like there was some side to side play in the steering wheel and then it look as though something was restricting it. If you used 2 hands and extra muscle can you move past that point and continue to steer with effort?

No need to answer the question if you know already that its your power steering. Good luck getting it fix, I wish you the best with your new JL.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Oh man that’s super dangerous. Stay safe and keep us posted. Hopefully they can get it resolved quickly.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’m not a mechanic and I haven’t felt the issue myself. Nor do I want to get into I know more than you pissing match on the forum. I have however driven vehicles without power steering before and a general rule is the faster you are moving the easier it is to steer, which was the opposite of what you described. In your video it looked like there was some side to side play in the steering wheel and then it look as though something was restricting it. If you used 2 hands and extra muscle can you move past that point and continue to steer with effort?

No need to answer the question if you know already that its your power steering. Good luck getting it fix, I wish you the best with your new JL.
Didn’t mean to sound brash if I did. Not my intention. Yes, if you turned hard enough it would steer but it felt like I was fighting a seized motor. It honestly seems like a software issue and only presents itself when it wants. I’m trying to find the parameters in which it will do it all the time.
Sponsored