Having a major problem

Punisher2490

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler unlimited sport altitude
So on Monday I went to start my 21 jlu sport altitude with 21k on it and every light one the dash came on as in service shifter service 4x4 BCM SCM Traction control emergency brake light everything so I turned the jeep off waited a sec and tried to start again and nothing it wouldn't even go to acc even when pushing with the key. I waited a bit longer and tried again it started very sluggish and then died. I called local dealer told them what's going on even took video of what happend so I could show them then towed it to the dealer and was called last night and told that they can't find anything and that I needed to authorize them to continue but could possibly be at my expense of something a little over $300 if they can't find the problem due to aftermarket accessories which were all installed at a confident 4x4 shop parts included are 3.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires and wheels , rock lights ,front and rear bumpers, whole audio system including head unit which is a Stinger Heigh 10, winch, and fenders front and rear. So I'm a bit confused as to why those upgrades would have anything to do with the problem especially since most everything has been on the jeep for at least 2 months or longer
Sponsored

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
They’re probably thinking about potential wiring issues with the rock lights, the audio install, or the winch killing your batteries. Your issues sound like battery related problems.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
That sucks, but if they try to blame it on your add ons, they'll need to prove it was your add ons. See Magnusson-Moss Act which is federal law

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
First thing I would do is have your battery tested. Sounds like a dead battery to me. Also sounds like you added a lot of accessories that put additional load on the battery, so either replace the battery with a more powerful one and/or buy a battery tender & keep the vehicle plugged in when not in use.

OP
OP

Punisher2490

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First thing I would do is have your battery tested. Sounds like a dead battery to me. Also sounds like you added a lot of accessories that put additional load on the battery, so either replace the battery with a more powerful one and/or buy a battery tender & keep the vehicle plugged in when not in use.
Well the jeep is a daily driver and they said that they tested both batteries and they tested good but we all know how that can go

Sponsored

OP
OP

Punisher2490

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sucks, but if they try to blame it on your add ons, they'll need to prove it was your add ons. See Magnusson-Moss Act which is federal law
Yes I've been reading about that may have to pull that card and see what happens

OP
OP

Punisher2490

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They’re probably thinking about potential wiring issues with the rock lights, the audio install, or the winch killing your batteries. Your issues sound like battery related problems.
They are telling me they tested the batteries but both tested good so I don't know

OP
OP

Punisher2490

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the jeep is a daily driver and they said that they tested both batteries and they tested good but we all know how that can go
Also if I go the new batteries route what would you recommend

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Yes I've been reading about that may have to pull that card and see what happens
Keep in mind, if they do determine it's a battery, and a battery is considered a normal wear item, like a clutch, you may have already exceeded the warranty on it.

ETA: OK, apparently that's already been ruled out.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
Keep in mind, if they do determine it's a battery, and a battery is considered a normal wear item, like a clutch, you may have already exceeded the warranty on it.

ETA: OK, apparently that's already been ruled out.
As stated in the warranty booklet, the only excluded part is tires. Batteries are covered under the 3/36

Jeep Wrangler JL Having a major problem F0B1BAF1-1421-4706-9266-F2B499398206

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
Would still put it on a tender over night or when not in use. I’ve seen many “dealer says it’s good” and the battery still be the cause. This is a big issue with Corvettes (have one) and they must be kept on a tender.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
1.) You can replace both batteries and hope that fixes the problem. This has worked for many.
2.) You can pay the dealer to return the electrical system to its OEM state and then diagnose
3.) You can return the electrical system to its OEM state yourself and then if you still have an issue, it's now on the dealer

Dealer's are not responsible for diagnosis and/or repair of aftermarket accessories unless they agree to do so.

On the other hand, it is easy to diagnose an excessive current drain on the battery (batteries) using and amp meter connected in series with the battery. (Assuming there is an excessive current drain). If the amp meter indicates an excessive current drain, pull fuses one by one until the current drain goes to normal. Once you locate the offending circuit you can look at all of the loads on that one circuit.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Would still put it on a tender over night or when not in use. I’ve seen many “dealer says it’s good” and the battery still be the cause. This is a big issue with Corvettes (have one) and they must be kept on a tender.
The heat will also degrade the battery fast. I have my vehicles on a maintainer all the time here and still have to replace them every 2-3 years.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They are telling me they tested the batteries but both tested good so I don't know
I see you are in Dallas. Don't know which dealership you are at, but you can take it to Richardson RCJDR and talk to Jeff the service manager for second opinion. This has been my Dealership since they opened 2012. I have purchased 7 autos here and I know them well. If you decide to just PM me and I will let Jeff know.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I would be wondering about battery cables and the status of fuses and relays and maybe even the connections at the bottom of the fuse box.
Sponsored