Sponsored

M1102 overland trailer

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Just picked up an M1102 trailer to modify into an overland/camping setup for the wife and I. This thing is gonna be fun, but its going to take quite a bit of time and some moolah to make happen.
2009 build that is in fantastic shape, looks as if it wasn't issued or if it was it saw little use. It was supposedly painted for use in a movie, from its original desert tan color, and we will probably repaint the exterior to match our sarge green rubicon that is on order but line-x the bed area. We will end up building a rack to throw a RTT on it, and a pull out kitchen in the back eventually.

I am either going to fab a new drop lunette that retains the hydraulic surge brake, or convert to electric over hydraulic and ditch the surge brake setup. Not sure yet as it really depends on how long we plan on keeping it or how well if it fits our needs.

This thing is so ridiculous but so cool at the same time🤣
Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer 20210226_160423
Sponsored

Hotchyy

First Name
Romeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Parks & Rec
Just picked up an M1102 trailer to modify into an overland/camping setup for the wife and I. This thing is gonna be fun, but its going to take quite a bit of time and some moolah to make happen.
2009 build that is in fantastic shape, looks as if it wasn't issued or if it was it saw little use. It was supposedly painted for use in a movie, from its original desert tan color, and we will probably repaint the exterior to match our sarge green rubicon that is on order but line-x the bed area. We will end up building a rack to throw a RTT on it, and a pull out kitchen in the back eventually.

I am either going to fab a new drop lunette that retains the hydraulic surge brake, or convert to electric over hydraulic and ditch the surge brake setup. Not sure yet as it really depends on how long we plan on keeping it or how well if it fits our needs.

Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer 20210226_160423
I’m jelly, I was looking at doing something similar and these are such great bases. Cant wait to see more.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m jelly, I was looking at doing something similar and these are such great bases. Cant wait to see more.
They really are. They look like they are heavy beasts but being all aluminum they aren't bad at all.

I have a feeling progress may not be that quick on it, but I will most definitely update the thread as things get checked off the list.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I have one, great trailer if you need to haul heavy stuff. There is a 7500# axle under it, so they ride rough without a ton or two of weight in them.

I converted mine to electric brakes. Direct bolt in. Also swapped the lunette out for a standard ball hitch, which is also easy to do. I've considered converting mine into a camping rig, but IMHO the axle would need to be swapped out to a lighter unit to make it truly practical. FWIW.

Pete

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one, great trailer if you need to haul heavy stuff. There is a 7500# axle under it, so they ride rough without a ton or two of weight in them.

I converted mine to electric brakes. Direct bolt in. Also swapped the lunette out for a standard ball hitch, which is also easy to do. I've considered converting mine into a camping rig, but IMHO the axle would need to be swapped out to a lighter unit to make it truly practical. FWIW.

Pete
Completely agreed. Already have my 3500lb dexter torflex axle measured out and spec'd. In all reality it would only be another $375 over just converting the 7k axle to electric.

I'm probably going to go with a cruisemaster do35, or if I have to settle it'll be a max coupler. For our first go round she'll be standard with new wheel bearings/grease/and actual proper bearing preload, and probably about 1000 pounds of payload. Still barely scratching the surface and I expect it to be a bit bumpy. Not going on any remotely sketchy trails with it till I ditch the lunette/pintle though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I stated, progress would be slow. Mainly because we just picked our Rubicon up and that down payment hurt😂 Took it out yesterday to break it in on some N GA trails. Cant bring myself to wash the fun off yet

Got all new OE military trailer lighting, and added a license plate light. Crimping military "packard" connectors without the very specific crimper is a whole lot of fun.

Scored a military "vehicle boarding ladder" so the wife or I don't take a digger getting out of the trailer.

This package is going to look so great, IMO of course, once I sarge green paint match the trailer. Just kind of wish I went with the tan soft top now.

Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer 20210319_163810-01

Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer 20210319_163823-01

20210319_163849-01.jpeg

Last edited:

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green

20210226_160423.jpg
Where did you find this trailer. I would be very interested in one also.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you find this trailer. I would be very interested in one also.
I got mine from a guy on Craigslist but there are government auctions all the time for them. Check out govplanet and search for either m1101 or m1102. Or just search Craigslist posts and you will find one. Going price is 1200-2400 depending on condition and features. I got lucky and scored it for $1600 with the top, 12 pin HMMWV to 4pin adapter, and a riser pintle hitch.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
I got mine from a guy on Craigslist but there are government auctions all the time for them. Check out govplanet and search for either m1101 or m1102. Or just search Craigslist posts and you will find one. Going price is 1200-2400 depending on condition and features. I got lucky and scored it for $1600 with the top, 12 pin HMMWV to 4pin adapter, and a riser pintle hitch.
Thanks for the info,

Sponsored

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
As I stated, progress would be slow. Mainly because we just picked our Rubicon up and that down payment hurt😂 Took it out yesterday to break it in on some N GA trails. Cant bring myself to wash the fun off yet

Got all new OE military trailer lighting, and added a license plate light. Crimping military "packard" connectors without the very specific crimper is a whole lot of fun.

Scored a military "vehicle boarding ladder" so the wife or I don't take a digger getting out of the trailer.

This package is going to look so great, IMO of course, once I sarge green paint match the trailer. Just kind of wish I went with the tan soft top now.

Jeep Wrangler JL M1102 overland trailer 20210319_163849-01

That thing is cool.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wife and I took the trailer out for Memorial Day and had a few nights dispersed camping in Dahlonega. Absolutely loving this thing!

Ditched the military 12 pin connector and converted to 7 pin connector, added some roadshock harbor freight special reverse lights, got our 20L wavian jerry can, patched the top, ditched the standard detent pins used for everything on this with grip loop detent pins. We got rid of the military safety chains as their size/shape didn't work with the JL receiver hook locations. Used 3/8" G70 chain with G70 slip hooks to limit fire hazard and in case we ever tow this into CA.

Much more to do before we leave for Ouray on the 26th of this month. Going to have a week in Ouray then 4 days in Moab!!

20210601_114935-01.jpeg

20210602_130145-01.jpeg

20210602_133513-01.jpeg

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can run wheel adapters and run Jeep wheels on that. That is what I did on mine.
Now that we have 100% decided we are keeping it, I am just swapping the axle out. For only about 550 bucks, it will make it ride infinitely better, will have brand new brakes, bearings, 5x5 bolt pattern, rubber torsion springs, the whole shebang.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can run wheel adapters and run Jeep wheels on that. That is what I did on mine.
It did great out here in Montrose, CO for this week, and on the 1600+ mile drive from Atlanta, GA. Headed to Moab tomorrow

20210626_233639.jpg

20210628_190107.jpg

20210628_190201.jpg
Sponsored