Loud Fans????

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Some vehicles/models don't have good sound insulation when the auxiliary fans kick on. I hear them loudly on my JLU 2.0 and my 928. Normal.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
These threads pop up every summer. It's normal for the JL. Here in death valley my jeep's fan actually doesn't come on unless I have the A/C on.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine runs loud like that when I've got the AC on recirc and the climate fan on high. I don't mind it because it takes the coolant and oil temp right down in a hurry. I live in a mild climate. But I also run doors off and no top most of the summer, so I rarely have the AC on in the first place.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Vent the motor compartment better.
lst let more air in by Installing the larger JT grill mesh
Jeep Wrangler JL Loud Fans???? JL Hoodw CAI and raised hood ventin

2nd let more pass out easily by pulling the under hood sound liner, the horseshoe shaped engine cover and raise the back edge of the hood by extending the hood hinges.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loud Fans???? JL underhood

Jeep Wrangler JL Loud Fans???? hood hinge extension a (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Loud Fans???? JL hood with hinge extensions

These changes will not stop the fan from running loudly but it has helped mine from running as much. And in my case, were an easy, inexpensive DIY project.

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you run AC on auto, try turning up to 70 or 72F. My fans seem to run loud when set around 68F.
Sorry, but that hood mod makes it look like you've been in an accident.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just to further confirm the point, I'm in the high altitude desert of Utah. When the 2.0t JL wants to cool down the fans go into "Jet Turbine Mode". That's normal. It shouldn't be happening all the time though, unless you're running the AC at max in high heat.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you run AC on auto, try turning up to 70 or 72F. My fans seem to run loud when set around 68F.
Sorry, but that hood mod makes it look like you've been in an accident.
Forum follows function, IMHO it looks...COOL. Your factory fake simulated Rubicon hood vents look... fake. I only point this out because you called me out for functioning feature. Like a blower intake popping out of the hood, it is what it is... No worries, Cheers

Last edited:

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
My girl knows when iā€™m at her house to pick her up by the fans on the jeep lol. Theyā€™re definitely loud but Iā€™d rather have them running to keep things cool.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I noticed the same thing, and there's a few threads on it in the 2.0L Engine section of this forum. The fans kick on in mine when the ambient temps are around 90*F; not so much when idling like in the old days of electric fans, mine run over 15 mph which I think is weird - at that speed, there should be enough regular airflow to cool things down, not sure why the fans are still running.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Loud = moving a lot of air. Moving a lot of air = safe engine. I love it.

You should hear the fan on my diesel. 925 watts, exclusive to the EcoDiesel. When it kicks over to high speed it sounds like a helicopter. But I don't care because I can watch the coolant temps fall like a rock.

Sponsored

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
My experiences in my 2021 JLUR Ecodiesel. Iā€™ve come home twice now and the fan is in high, not crazy hot out, and the fan stayed on high after I shut the jeep off. I turned the ignition on without starting and checked the temps and all seems normal, shit the ignition off and the fan stays running. I let it sit for 5 minutes and it does not stop. I restart the jeep and then shut it off and the fan stops as if the sensor switching it is satisfied now. I feel like if I let it run it wouldnā€™t shut off and drain my battery, and I donā€™t feel like finding out the hard way lol. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
This is a known issue with the JL and there is a software update that will correct it, assuming there are no other problems. I had the same issue with mine, loud as heck. I took it to the stealership, they looked it up and confirmed there was a software update to fix it. I went ahead with the update and the issue was fixed. I have a 2018 JLU.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Yepā€¦the 2.0 in hot weather has a very loud fan that runs a lot. I believe itā€™s completely normal.

Ronbo Ranger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Glad the fans work in the Jeep, if I thought it was a luxury car, I'd call all that noise a nusance. But it ain't cause it's a 70,000 dollar jeep thing.
Help me with this logic. šŸ˜† LoL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This is a known issue with the JL and there is a software update that will correct it, assuming there are no other problems. I had the same issue with mine, loud as heck. I took it to the stealership, they looked it up and confirmed there was a software update to fix it. I went ahead with the update and the issue was fixed. I have a 2018 JLU.
@Rubycon50

When ..... what month and year did you have that TSB applied to your JLU?

IF, you had the 2019 / 2nd revision of that TSB .... which is TSB 18-092-19 (Power Control Update) you also had the way the 2018 JL handles it's' dual batteries changed, so your JL behaves like a 2019 and newer JL which is a very very positive thing....

If you had TSB 18-041-18 Rev. B applied to your JL in 2018, then your High Rev Fan issues was addressed but not the dual battery system thing...

Sponsored