RAD WLYS

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
New Jeep Owner here....

I just picked up a 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Edition. Great Jeep... real happy with it. I need side steps so my wife & kids can get in easily, but I can't find any.

The issue is the JL has the OE Rock Rails installed and I cannot for the life of me, find Side Steps that work with the OE Rock Rails. And I do not want to remove the existing rock rails (not that I plan on doing any rock climbing.... I just like the way the look.)

Any ideas or suggestions? Any info is greatly appreciated! (FYI, I heard about ACE, but not really interested in spending $1,000+ for this.)

Rich
Sponsored

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
Hey Rich - if you end up not finding anything that, I have a set of OEM Sahara steps available closeby (10583) for $200.

Haven’t posted the ad in the marketplace yet as I just found out yesterday Jeep approved my buyback and I haven’t taken them off my Rubicon yet.

Here you can see them mounted at least:
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for Side Steps 66E8158B-0762-4245-BB4E-E7DFA00165E2
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for Side Steps 42BF4DE4-13D7-4622-8AD4-CB4F18939B32

CaboJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willy's
Rich-we are also in the same boat as you. ACE is the only one we found that will work with the Rubi rails. We have yet to pull the trigger on a set.

OP
OP

RAD WLYS

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Bill,

Those steps fit over or around the Rubi Rails? Hard to tell from the pics.

Sponsored

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Bill,

Those steps fit over or around the Rubi Rails? Hard to tell from the pics.
no, no, they replace the Rubi Rails (mine are in the garage and I have to reinstall them for the buyback).

Let me get out, take better pictures for you and post the ad in the marketplace to make it all proper!

OP
OP

RAD WLYS

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No thanks... I want to keep the OE rock rails.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds good - following in case some new option shows up besides the ACE and the hide-a-step. Would be great to know for my next Jeep!

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
You already mentioned what is essentially your only option. Pony up the $1000+, ditch the factory rails and use a less expensive step, or just leave it as-is.

Sponsored

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
The only aftermarket rock rails that are designed to fit underneath the OEM Rubicon/Willys are Ace Engineering.

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
I went with LoD Armor Lite, but I did consider the More Hide-a-Step. I believe Ace and the MORE steps are the only option for keeping the factory rock rails.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/steps-foot-pegs/jlst18b-jeep-jl-hide-a-step-black-powdercoat
Did you get the additional steps that drop down from the LoD Armor Lite rails? I am in the same boat as the OP, and I have an XR so having some steps would be nice. However, I suspect that the steps built into the rails like the Armor Lites won't do much to solve the issue unless I pony up for the additional steps that drop down from them. The other alternative seems to be the M.O.R.E. hide-a-step, as I don't want the tube style rails like the ACE ones.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Did you get the additional steps that drop down from the LoD Armor Lite rails? I am in the same boat as the OP, and I have an XR so having some steps would be nice. However, I suspect that the steps built into the rails like the Armor Lites won't do much to solve the issue unless I pony up for the additional steps that drop down from them. The other alternative seems to be the M.O.R.E. hide-a-step, as I don't want the tube style rails like the ACE ones.
I did not get the additional steps. The steps built into the sliders are nice to have for me, basically step up to then duck down to get in. It's something you get used to. But they are also very valuable to have if you have little kids. My wife kept bugging me for steps, so I just waited for a sale. The family is happy with them, and so am I. They were used to the plastic Mopar steps on my wife's Jeep, and these feel very similar to those.

Of course, I don't have an XR, so maybe the additional height makes a difference.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I bought 6" Nerf Bars Side Steps for my Rubicon and I am happy with them. I think they look a lot like OEM, but were $139.00. I really did not need the steps to get into the Jeep, but I want to keep people in cars from banging their doors against the side of my Jeep. Now they will hit the side step and not the door. Now a taller vehicle might still be a problem, but cars won't...

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for Side Steps 1677897643509