Sponsored

LOD destroyer sliders

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Awesome!

Question about your powder coating on these; are the insides typically coated? I see there are some drainage holes on the bottom. Is corrosion from the inside out something to be concerned about with this type of slider?
Yes they are coated on the inside. I would say not any more likely than corrosion from the outside. At least the inside is protected from rock chips or scratches.
Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
So I bought these last November on Black Friday. Due to freezing temperatures here in the seemingly Arctic climate of Wisconsin it wasn't until today I could try to put them on. My plan included having an extra pair of hands. Unfortunately the guy who said he'd help was a no show. Again.

Expecting shenanigans from this particular dude I planned ahead. I bought a combo car/motorcycle floor jack. So glad I did too. I was able to balance the rails easily using only an additional furniture clamp and a piece of scrap wood.

After removing the bolts from either side of the rear body bolts and the two from the passenger side frame I began to lift it into place. I had to finesse things but it wasn't that difficult. I also used an old milk crate to act as a crash buffer.

Now, had the guy who always asks me for favors (which I do) shown up things would be completed. After bolting in the passenger side I was going to do like I saw on this video. Which is to mark the forward hole after bolting in the rear most bolts, jacking up the front of the rail, and then marking the hole on the passenger side frame. You then remove the bolts and the rail so you can drill the forward bolt hole on the passenger frame. Then you put it all back on.

It's really crappy out and I've been sick for nearly a week. I'm going to wait until I can find another pair of hands that will actually help before doing the process.

Otherwise I'm digging these. I'll add some black vinyl body tape to the pinch seems later as well. I seemed to get everything lined up pretty well. I think it took me less than three hours at a very leisurely pace. I only had to tap things a tiny bit to clear one body bolt washer.

IMG_20190430_100127.jpg

IMG_20190430_100135.jpg

IMG_20190430_100654.jpg

IMG_20190430_112430.jpg

IMG_20190430_112501.jpg

IMG_20190430_113517.jpg

IMG_20190430_121621.jpg

IMG_20190430_122002.jpg

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@lodoffroad Anyway to extend them more to cover the ugly pinchwelds on the ends? Or at least include a vanity plate that can hide the front/back more?
I agree. I donā€™t like seeing the pinch seam. Iā€™m considering buying a set, but would like to see how they look on Granite Crystal Metallic first. Wish they were longer to fill the space better.

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reason they don't extend out farther is that typically people who wheel and run larger than stock tires/wheels have a tendency to trim/hammer down those pinch welds, so we didn't want to risk rubbing tires on the sliders and left them clearanced, so that people didn't have to trim our sliders if they ran bigger wheels and tires. A lot of people paint it black to hide it also.
Did you have photos of them on a Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR four door? Iā€™d like to see how they look. Maybe since itā€™s a darker color the pinch seam isnā€™t as noticeable.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Canā€™t say I had my LOD Destroyers show up damaged, but they certainly didnā€™t hold up to trail use.

I never had any powder coat or rust issues with them (only two Colorado winters with them).

I bought the superior product as I thought they were marketed as strong enough for trail use but with the luxury of a step. Iā€™d say if you arenā€™t hitting trails the LODā€™s are great and I still believe them to be better than buying a ROAM product, but they didnā€™t live up to what I thought I bought.

Iā€™ve now removed them from my Jeep and have a different product at the powder coater that will be put on next week.

Sponsored

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canā€™t say I had my LOD Destroyers show up damaged, but they certainly didnā€™t hold up to trail use.

I never had any powder coat or rust issues with them (only two Colorado winters with them).

I bought the superior product as I thought they were marketed as strong enough for trail use but with the luxury of a step. Iā€™d say if you arenā€™t hitting trails the LODā€™s are great and I still believe them to be better than buying a ROAM product, but they didnā€™t live up to what I thought I bought.

Iā€™ve now removed them from my Jeep and have a different product at the powder coater that will be put on next week.
I see from your gallery photos it looks like they got crunched up below the step. That's probably a weak spot for sure.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I see from your gallery photos it looks like they got crunched up below the step. That's probably a weak spot for sure.
First and biggest problem (and the only one where I thought theyā€™d do better) is both sides pushed up into the body, giving me creases in the rocker panel the full length of the slider. I now have CAVFAB body/rocker armor to cover it up and offer increased protection, but itā€™s something I never wanted to have, but apparently needed.

I have a good size dent on the underside of the passenger rail. Hard for me to blame anyone for that. I expected that kind of stuff could happen, did not expect them to push into the body.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
I would honestly avoid @lodoffroad. The rock sliders I received were damaged. LOD has crap customer service and didnā€™t really do anything to fix the issue. With the amount of money spent on their productions, the last thing I wanted was paint mailed to me so I could paint them where there are damaged. They insisted that the sliders were damaged in shipping despite the box being in perfect condition and them packaged extremely well. The metal was gouged also... Impossible to have been done in shipping the way they are packed. I asked LOD for a partial refund to keep the damaged product and they refused. I tried explaining that Iā€™m currently dealing with a back injury so I was paying a friends kid to move them around for me. It didnā€™t make sense to keep paying someone to ship them back.

At the end of the day, I paid top dollar for a ā€œsuperiorā€ product, that I have to get powder coated again. Iā€™d recommend just getting the Roam Rails. They look virtually the same for much less. No sense paying more for LOD when they will rust all the same. I had high hopes for LOD but they donā€™t stand behind their products or their customers one bit.
JCutler,
Sorry you had such a bad experience with our products, this is certainly not typical. However I am not sure of your circumstance. Our policy is to provide touch up paint for small nicks in the powdercoat. If the slider is damaged or gouged, we will return and repair at no cost to the customer. Also if the powder coat is bubbling or flaking due to improper adhesion or prep, we will return and repair at no cost to the customer. What we do not do is offer partial refunds, cover cost of local powder coating, cover cost of install or removal, or send new replacements. All we ask is to remove the slider(s), wrap or box as best you can, and place the slider on your porch and we we'll do the rest.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU

Our Signature Series Slider would have been a better choice as they are by far stronger. Our Destroyer Sliders are certainly tough and can take a bit of abuse, but it all depends on the impact...

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Our Signature Series Slider would have been a better choice as they are by far stronger. Our Destroyer Sliders are certainly tough and can take a bit of abuse, but it all depends on the impact...
From my experience, many products/brands would have been a better choice. Are the destroyers the best step/slider on the market? They might be, but Iā€™m frustrated I bought into the marketing. Letā€™s just market them as heavy duty running boards (and great ones) and keep others from having to buy different sliders and make repairs to their rocker panels.

Sponsored

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
Itā€™s a shame to see you guys not back what could be an amazing product. You accept zero accountability for damages caused by your staff then inconvenience the consumer. Again, I paid top dollar for damaged products and then had to use touch up paint, for something that should be powder coated.
You really have to be a little reasonable here. While your particular situation is unfortunate, you can't expect a retailer to issue arbitrary discounts on their products every time a customer claims they arrived damaged. They're offering to ship them back, repair/replace them, then ship them back to you. As far as customer service goes, that's the best anyone can expect.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You really have to be a little reasonable here. While your particular situation is unfortunate, you can't expect a retailer to issue arbitrary discounts on their products every time a customer claims they arrived damaged. They're offering to ship them back, repair/replace them, then ship them back to you. As far as customer service goes, that's the best anyone can expect.
Agree and thanks for speaking up. The customer is being unreasonable.

As LOD said - pack them as best as possible, get them to the porch, and they do the rest.

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
I bought the Armor Lite slider with drop down steps. Ordered July and received them early Oct. They weren't happy with the powder coat and redid them. Maybe they are working on that issue now.
I haven't banged them on rocks yet, but I love them!

DSC_0040.jpeg

DSC_0046.jpeg

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Armor Lite slider with drop down steps. Ordered July and received them early Oct. They weren't happy with the powder coat and redid them. Maybe they are working on that issue now.
I haven't banged them on rocks yet, but I love them!

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders DSC_0046

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders DSC_0046
Those look great. Iā€™d call them ā€˜Lite Armorā€™ instead of armor lite if I were LODā€™s marketing department, but maybe these are stronger than the steel version.

Either way, they look good and very functional.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
While have have Roam sliders mounted on my rubicon, I am a fan of LOD. I trust them. American made and solid.

ā€™get them to your porch and we will take care of the restā€™. Seems like the best that anyone can offer.

@lodoffroad = +100
Sponsored