Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they would've added the strength difference in their product descriptions, between the Destroyers and Signatures. I originally leaned towards the latter, but also wanted a more definitive step for my sub 5' wife which made me opt for the former. Had I'd known of a distinct strength difference, I would've gone with the Signatures, some grip tape to prevent foot slip on wet pipe issues, and a rope ladder if needed. I have full intentions of using them as a pivot point and to take unavoidable hits, so now I know to keep a closer eye on them.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they would've added the strength difference in their product descriptions, between the Destroyers and Signatures. I originally leaned towards the latter, but also wanted a more definitive step for my sub 5' wife which made me opt for the former. Had I'd known of a distinct strength difference, I would've gone with the Signatures, some grip tape to prevent foot slip on wet pipe issues, and a rope ladder if needed. I have full intentions of using them as a pivot point and to take unavoidable hits, so now I know to keep a closer eye on them.
Thats sort of my plan now. I picked up a used set of MC Overlines, they are at the powder coater now. I have a 2” roll of grip waiting on them. We’ll see how it goes.

I sold the Destroyers this week and it’s been interesting watching my 7 yr old get in without them. She steps on the Beadlock ring, then onto the top of the tire, shimmy’s over toward the open door and grabs onto a handle and kind of swings in.

Not sure the Overlines will be much easier as the bar isn’t that much lower than sill height. May need a rope ladder approach.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats sort of my plan now. I picked up a used set of MC Overlines, they are at the powder coater now. I have a 2” roll of grip waiting on them. We’ll see how it goes.

I sold the Destroyers this week and it’s been interesting watching my 7 yr old get in without them. She steps on the Beadlock ring, then onto the top of the tire, shimmy’s over toward the open door and grabs onto a handle and kind of swings in.

Not sure the Overlines will be much easier as the bar isn’t that much lower than sill height. May need a rope ladder approach.
I'm assuming your Destroyers worked great, but it was that one inevitable hard hit that caused the deflection into the body?

I'm no seasoned offroader, but I both like and plan on the earlier litebrite approach. Kevin prefers the lower impact "crawl it" and only "bump it" as needed mentality, whereas a lot of others prefer the generous use of momentum right out of the gate. Like the ponytail guy does. But shits bound to happen, so I'll have to keep a closer eye than I had originally expected to with these.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming your Destroyers worked great, but it was that one inevitable hard hit that caused the deflection into the body?

I'm no seasoned offroader, but I both like and plan on the earlier litebrite approach. Kevin prefers the lower impact "crawl it" and only "bump it" as needed mentality, whereas a lot of others prefer the generous use of momentum right out of the gate. Like the ponytail guy does. But shits bound to happen, so I'll have to keep a closer eye than I had originally expected to with these.
Mine repeatedly flexed into the body. It’s hard to know how long it had been happening before I noticed the damage. One day I was walking out of work and thought something looked off, as I inspected I found the crease down the side of the rockers. Walked to the other side and same thing. With how the rocker panel curves down and where the slider sat it wasn’t something that was extremely noticeable. Take the slider off and it was very obvious.

I certainly gave them many hard hits, and not very sure if they were the only cause or if anytime I had the full weight on them, even with a soft impact, if they flexed into the body then or not. My brackets ended up bent or something as they no longer had the 1” or so gap they originally had and I couldn’t get the gap back even after trying to shim them.

Yes I wished they’d lived up to my expectations, but I have not tried to hold LOD responsible. I chalk it up to the price to play and the risks I’ve accepted.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine repeatedly flexed into the body. It’s hard to know how long it had been happening before I noticed the damage. One day I was walking out of work and thought something looked off, as I inspected I found the crease down the side of the rockers. Walked to the other side and same thing. With how the rocker panel curves down and where the slider sat it wasn’t something that was extremely noticeable. Take the slider off and it was very obvious.

I certainly gave them many hard hits, and not very sure if they were the only cause or if anytime I had the full weight on them, even with a soft impact, if they flexed into the body then or not. My brackets ended up bent or something as they no longer had the 1” or so gap they originally had and I couldn’t get the gap back even after trying to shim them.

Yes I wished they’d lived up to my expectations, but I have not tried to hold LOD responsible. I chalk it up to the price to play and the risks I’ve accepted.
Yeah, just simple physics. I was hoping to avoid it, but it looks like I have to revisit adding a bit of extra beef to further support the cantilever. I've grown tired of custom fabbing over the years, and was enjoying the bolt on and go, but you've validated a concern that popped in my mind while installing these. I'll have to go pearl diving in the end drops for a few specifically sized pieces of I-beam.

Sponsored

Nobody1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Wow ... this has me concerned. I just installed the destroyers yesterday. Now I am reading these comments today. I do feel misled. After watching the LOD video on YouTube of using a high lift jack and then lifting the Jeep with two forklifts .... I decided to make my purchase. Granted, the Jeep in the video is a JK. I can’t imagine that makes much of a difference. Please share your ideas on beefing things up as you mentioned. @Headbarcode

thanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders 9C5CFA44-2084-4B10-8F96-DDF2771D61E9
Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders 68A000E4-804F-44B4-B904-0FD90C3BD7DF

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow ... this has me concerned. I just installed the destroyers yesterday. Now I am reading these comments today. I do feel mislead. After watching the LOD video on YouTube of using a high lift jack and then lifting the Jeep with two forklifts .... I decided to make my purchase. Granted, the Jeep in the video is a JK. I can’t imagine that makes much of a difference. Please share your ideas on beefing things up as you mentioned. @Headbarcode

thanks.

In playing around, I lifted the side of mine with a set of forks. I took pics of lifting by the wheels but forgot to grab some when the forks were under the rail.

There's an incredible difference of force between a lift and an impact.

I don't feel misled, but reading LOD's comment about the Signatures being stronger than the Destroyers left me wishing that was mentioned in the product description.

JLU's are a couple hundred lbs lighter than JKU's, due to fewer crossmembers used the the frame because of the higher tensile strength steel that afforded the same structural integrity with less overall material used. Plus, the weight savings from all the aluminum body panels, doors, and aluminum clad magnesium tailgate.

I've yet to even scribble out a quick napkin design, much less a more detailed blueprint and measurements to build off of. If there's an interest, I'll share what I do. I really would've rather avoided this, because I haven't even laid on the creeper yet and know I will immediately snowball into wanting to clear the rail and do my own attachment instead of just adding to theirs.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
We don't try to mislead anyone about the performance of our products. The Destroyers were designed for light trail use and to offer a better step and styling. If you call and talk with us, we would recommend the Signature slider if you think you'll be hitting them hard. The Destroyers are a sheet metal design and therefore will have a little more flex in them than the Signature sliders which are a square tube design and much more rigid. But '"Hitting Hard" is subjective and the force generated due to impact can be huge and is highly variable as well. We have designed enough gap between the slider and the body to account for the flex, however we have found that the body on frame alignment can be significantly different from side to side. We have also noticed that the frame flex's more on the JL than the JK. There is not much we can do about that, so there is potential if you hit the sliders "hard" enough that they may hit the body. But that would need to be a pretty good hit...

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
And there it is “light trail use.” Had that been in any description I would not have bought them knowing how I use my Jeep.

Then again, I preordered before there was much info. I mostly bought from knowledge of the JK product.

Appears I’m not the only one that had a different understanding of the function of this product.

I’m really not bitter even though I probably sound like it. I’ve moved on and I accept these types of risks every time I go off-road.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
And there it is “light trail use.” Had that been in any description I would not have bought them knowing how I use my Jeep.

Then again, I preordered before there was much info. I mostly bought from knowledge of the JK product.

Appears I’m not the only one that had a different understanding of the function of this product.

I’m really not bitter even though I probably sound like it. I’ve moved on and I accept these types of risks every time I go off-road.
I probably should not have said "light trail use" as they can certainly take some abuse and they are a frame mounted slider. Maybe more like Medium Duty Slider. However we could stand clarify and have a bit more description for these sliders.
Sponsored