LoD Destroyer Sliders redesigned?

dfunk72

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
These sliders are not bolt on, I had to cut mine to fit.
Too close to my rockers. F using cheesy spacers. dumb
Do you have the old ones? The new version has the mounts separate from the sloders. Either way, both versions bolt on the frame the same way. I need to know what size bolt will fit the center and rear mounts.
Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Do you have the old ones? The new version has the mounts separate from the sloders. Either way, both versions bolt on the frame the same way. I need to know what size bolt will fit the center and rear mounts.
I just installed the armor lite version, but I would expect the bolts to be the same. Mid and rear bolts for the existing holes are M12-1.5x45 according to the installation instructions.

Edit to add: mine went in with no issues. They also provide the self tapping thread roller bolts for the optional, drilled holes. Could you be trying to install those bolts in the existing holes?

dfunk72

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
I just installed the armor lite version, but I would expect the bolts to be the same. Mid and rear bolts for the existing holes are M12-1.5x45 according to the installation instructions.

Edit to add: mine went in with no issues. They also provide the self tapping thread roller bolts for the optional, drilled holes. Could you be trying to install those bolts in the existing holes?
Those are the same bolts I got. M12 1.5 x 45 mm for the existing holes with shorter self tapping roller bolts for optional drilled holes. I'm definitely using the right ones but they don't fit.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Those are the same bolts I got. M12 1.5 x 45 mm for the existing holes with shorter self tapping roller bolts for optional drilled holes. I'm definitely using the right ones but they don't fit.
Either they sent the wrong bolts, or the existing holes on your Jeep are threaded differently. I did see in another thread on the armor lite version that someone received the wrong bolts, and LOD had to send the correct ones.

Try the M12 1.5 from a hardware store, they should work. If so, LOD definitely packed the wrong ones.

OP
OP
sigsegv

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Either they sent the wrong bolts, or the existing holes on your Jeep are threaded differently. I did see in another thread on the armor lite version that someone received the wrong bolts, and LOD had to send the correct ones.

Try the M12 1.5 from a hardware store, they should work. If so, LOD definitely packed the wrong ones.
Check the bolts holding on the skid plate on the passenger side - those should be the same.

Sponsored

dfunk72

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Check the bolts holding on the skid plate on the passenger side - those should be the same.
They should be, but aren't. That was the first thing I tried but didn't fit. Same as all the other bolts, go on for about two or three full turns and stop.

Is it possible if I used the wrong size bolt initially and put too much force in trying to make it fit that I damaged the theading and now nothing will fit?

I'll be going to the hardware store to get a few different sizes and see if anything else fits.

OP
OP
sigsegv

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Is it possible if I used the wrong size bolt initially and put too much force in trying to make it fit that I damaged the theading and now nothing will fit?
It's totally plausible to damage threads by trying to force in a bolt that's the wrong size. Do the skidplate bolts fit in their respective holes on the other side of the frame anymore? If not, you may need someone with a tap set to chase the threads in order to fix them.

OP
OP
sigsegv

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I figured I should update the thread with the final status: I got the spacers from LoD and fully installed the sliders (drilled extra rear holes on both sides for self-tapping screws, and drilled the extra front passenger hole).

They were kind of a pain to install, but I'm quite happy with the results. The front of the sliders are a little closer to the rocker panel than I'd like, but with the spacers it's quite solid and would take a very large hit to make contact. It's a good product, and I expect the new modular design makes the install quite a bit easier.

It seems like bolting things this large to the frame of a jeep is always a touchy operation, here's the list of what was difficult:

• Needed to buy longer bolts for the flag nuts up front - the supplied bolts were at least 1/2" too short.
  • Had to buy a right angle drill to drill the front passenger hole in the frame - I'm not sure how people do it without one. Used a step bit for the first hole because it's short and a 1/2" bit for the hole in the other side. Fortunately I like excuses to buy new tools
  • Had to buy an angle grinder to grind a frame weld down. I had been meaning to buy one for a while so I'm happy to have one, and they're pretty cheap.
  • Had to loosen a body bolt to get the slider around the big washer, fortunately no snapping. I had to use a cheater bar to break these free.
  • The spacing of the bolts next to the body bolts on the passenger side meant i had to use a floor jack to push the slider up onto them, very slightly damaging the threads (but not badly.)
  • *Almost* didn't have enough space to fit the rear bolt into the frame, there was enough space to avoid having to widen the hole in the slider by a few thousandths of an inch.
Anyway, I like them and would buy them again. Just don't try to install the welded ones yourself unless you're handy.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I figured I should update the thread with the final status: I got the spacers from LoD and fully installed the sliders (drilled extra rear holes on both sides for self-tapping screws, and drilled the extra front passenger hole).

They were kind of a pain to install, but I'm quite happy with the results. The front of the sliders are a little closer to the rocker panel than I'd like, but with the spacers it's quite solid and would take a very large hit to make contact. It's a good product, and I expect the new modular design makes the install quite a bit easier.

It seems like bolting things this large to the frame of a jeep is always a touchy operation, here's the list of what was difficult:

• Needed to buy longer bolts for the flag nuts up front - the supplied bolts were at least 1/2" too short.
  • Had to buy a right angle drill to drill the front passenger hole in the frame - I'm not sure how people do it without one. Used a step bit for the first hole because it's short and a 1/2" bit for the hole in the other side. Fortunately I like excuses to buy new tools
  • Had to buy an angle grinder to grind a frame weld down. I had been meaning to buy one for a while so I'm happy to have one, and they're pretty cheap.
  • Had to loosen a body bolt to get the slider around the big washer, fortunately no snapping. I had to use a cheater bar to break these free.
  • The spacing of the bolts next to the body bolts on the passenger side meant i had to use a floor jack to push the slider up onto them, very slightly damaging the threads (but not badly.)
  • *Almost* didn't have enough space to fit the rear bolt into the frame, there was enough space to avoid having to widen the hole in the slider by a few thousandths of an inch.
Anyway, I like them and would buy them again. Just don't try to install the welded ones yourself unless you're handy.
Pretty much my experience installing these on my Jeep a few years back. I'd buy them again as they have never budged or let me down while crawling, and they just look good. But damn that front passenger bolt! Lol, I had to do the same exact things with purchase of a right angle drill (new toy yay) and the use of a step bit.

Glad to hear you got them installed and hope they serve you well! :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

dfunk72

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Finally got mine installed. I had to tap the middle and rear threads on the driver side. I still need to drill the optional holes but that will have to wait. Does anyone have advice on drilling that hole? I assume I'll need a stronger drill bit and a lot of lubricant. Is WD40 good for this?

Overall I really like the look of these and they provide a nice step for my kids and wife. And they are solid!

20220702_173809.jpg

20220702_173747.jpg

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought the @lodoffroad Destroyers from @Northridge4x4 also. They are the old design. They went on great and i am pleased so far. i think there are several factors with the new design. Im sure getting the gap right and adjustability is first and foremost. Im sure it is a challenge to make everyone happy with gaps when each Jeep can be off from the next. That being said mine went on easy and the gaps are very good with some work. I do need to call them and see about getting some spacers they have before i add the forward bolts through the frame. I do not want to use washers. Very sturdy without the front bolts in, though I will be adding them.
IMG_4640.JPG
Nice looking jeep.

you are spot on w your points. I had the old style for 2 years about and they are excellent. I used large square washers to shim where needed, and in lieu of the washers supplied which tend to potato chip when installed.

i changed the lod out to rock slide engineering elec steps which install like new style lod. Other than adjustability for variances the new style provides, I like the old style.

Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Sliders redesigned? B495509B-1963-4E28-B439-17F28E582E36
Sponsored