Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Add me to the list of people who successfully applied your technique to my sensors. I did it to my 2022 Xtreme Recon with only 1,800 miles on it. I wasn't taking any chances. The worst part was getting that goo all over the place.

Just an idle thought, but it's probably all the steel and iron particles floating around in the diff oil. My front oil was crystal clear, but the rear was already black with microscopic particles on the magnets.

Thank you :)
With the front diff spinning a lot less that's normal. Mine was similar when I potted my sensors.
Sponsored

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
I potted mine recently on my XR with 14k miles. Front oil was clear. Rear was pretty dark. Lots of metal fuzz on the drain plug and the magnet the sensor reads but no metal chunks. Lockers do seem to connect and disconnect faster but thatā€™s just parked on flat ground. Havenā€™t had a change to test them off-road yet.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I potted mine recently on my XR with 14k miles. Front oil was clear. Rear was pretty dark. Lots of metal fuzz on the drain plug and the magnet the sensor reads but no metal chunks. Lockers do seem to connect and disconnect faster but thatā€™s just parked on flat ground. Havenā€™t had a change to test them off-road yet.
Color of the fluid you are describing is totally normal. The lockers can be a little finicky off road, if they stick a bit try moving forward and backwards or popping it in neutral and letting it coast a foot.

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
Color of the fluid you are describing is totally normal. The lockers can be a little finicky off road, if they stick a bit try moving forward and backwards or popping it in neutral and letting it coast a foot.
Thanks. I should have clarified and said "Havenā€™t had a change to test them off-road since potting them."
I have used my lockers before and am aware they can be slow to lock or unlock if they're under load.

Big thanks to OP for the write up. šŸ‘

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Thanks. I should have clarified and said "Havenā€™t had a change to test them off-road since potting them."
I have used my lockers before and am aware they can be slow to lock or unlock if they're under load.

Big thanks to OP for the write up. šŸ‘
He's describing the problem: JTE thought open sensors would be fine since diff juice isn't conductive. Somebody neglected the fact that shavings get thrown into the mix (literally) and cause conductive conditions which short-out the sensors.

Sponsored

quikrick22

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Dealer just replaced my rear locker after it failed again. I can also confirm there is no change to the sensor (see pics)

Pulled it last night and got it potted.
Hopefully it will work for years to come.

Thank you for the write up!
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20221018_160041
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20221018_164912
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20221018_164903
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20221018_164748
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 pot done
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 pot done2

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I finally potted my front sensor.....only took me 2 years from when I did the rear. :headbang:The front was still dry inside, so that's a good thing. But.....last time wheeling, when I tried to turn the front locker on, the light blinked a few times, when solid, then blinked again. That was enough of a butt pucker to make me pot the front locker. After I removed it, there was plenty of metal dust on the drain plug magnet and the magnet that moves the slider ring back and forth for the locker to engage. Cleaned everything up, potted the sensor, and it works better that ever. So, I'm thinking that the metal dust on the magnet that connects to the slider ring was causing a connection error of sorts.

Thanks again to Shawn who figured this out for us. :rock:

SloCal

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Also, if you're not comfortable drilling into the sensors, you can remove them and ship them to me. I'll pot them for free + cost of potting compound and then ship back. Not everyone is comfortable drilling into an electronics housing and I get that. It's not a hard job, just don't drill too far.
I know Iā€™m a little late to the game here. But the community and I owe you a great deal of gratitude for 1) pulling together this information; 2) continuing to be engaged in the thread; and 3) offering to help fellow jEEpeers out with the fix w/o any labor costs. Iā€™d like to buy you a beer sir šŸŗ I have been a wheeler for a fair stint, never had a purdy jeep like my JLUR before, but you embody oldskool wheeler mentality. šŸ™‡ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I know Iā€™m a little late to the game here. But the community and I owe you a great deal of gratitude for 1) pulling together this information; 2) continuing to be engaged in the thread; and 3) offering to help fellow jEEpeers out with the fix w/o any labor costs. Iā€™d like to buy you a beer sir šŸŗ I have been a wheeler for a fair stint, never had a purdy jeep like my JLUR before, but you embody oldskool wheeler mentality. šŸ™‡ā€ā™‚ļø
Many thanks, man. I just truly enjoy this community. So, wherever I can help, I'll be happy to do so.

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am a little late to the party but I just got the locker symbol on my dash yesterday. I just want to be clear in my thinking. If I have sensors with oil in them, I can clean them out and pot them and they should be fine? I have 1600 miles left on my extended warranty but have regeared. I have a mod friendly dealership, but not sure how mod friendly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I am a little late to the party but I just got the locker symbol on my dash yesterday. I just want to be clear in my thinking. If I have sensors with oil in them, I can clean them out and pot them and they should be fine? I have 1600 miles left on my extended warranty but have regeared. I have a mod friendly dealership, but not sure how mod friendly.
If the sensor has failed, thereā€™s no recovering it. One of the capacitors inside has failed. Youā€™ll have to replace it. The potting only helps if itā€™s done prior to failure.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
@chevymitchell need some professional advice :movember:

Soooooo I poured the epoxy in the sensors, check on them 23 hours later and one of the sensors still has tacky/runny epoxy -_-
I am pretty sure it was the first one I did and not sure if the epoxy mixed well.

Has this happened to you/anyone on this thread?
Should I just let it sit to see if it dries? Or should I try to force more of the remaining epoxy i have left into the whole? Should I buy some silicon to cover the holes? Any solutions welcome :jk:

Thank you so much in advanced!

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell need some professional advice :movember:

Soooooo I poured the epoxy in the sensors, check on them 23 hours later and one of the sensors still has tacky/runny epoxy -_-
I am pretty sure it was the first one I did and not sure if the epoxy mixed well.

Has this happened to you/anyone on this thread?
Should I just let it sit to see if it dries? Or should I try to force more of the remaining epoxy i have left into the whole? Should I buy some silicon to cover the holes? Any solutions welcome :jk:

Thank you so much in advanced!
Hey there.

The cure time is very temperature and humidity sensitive.

If you used the mixing tip that comes with the compound, then it was mixed just fine.

Give it some more time and it should be OK. If it never cures, then you may need to wash it out and get a different tube of compound. I have yet to see this happen with the potting compound, but it certainly does happen with chemicals. I think you're OK. Just needs more time.

Last edited:

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Hey there.

The cure time is very temperature and humidity sensitive.

If you used the mixing tip that comes with the compund, then it was mixed just fine.

Give it some more time and it should be OK. If it never cures, then you may need to wash it out and get a different tube of compound. I have yet to this happen with the potting compound, but it certainly does happen with chemicals. I think you're OK. Just needs more time.
Will do! I will maybe give it one more day or 12 hours just to see the consistency of it.
I feel like I will most likely need to fill it again šŸ˜­
Crossing my fingers.

Thanks again!
Sponsored