Sponsored

Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
So then Jeep is saying to run a thinner fluid, in contrast to Dana Spicer to pick up MPG's?!
The design of the new Advantek axles is more focused on efficiency than ever before (read more about it here - https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/automotive/advantek-axle-technology). The amount of heat and metal generated by these axles when combined with the low capacity of the sump does not lend itself for long intervals between oil changes nor is it wise to use 75/80W-85/90 viscosity in them if you are towing or operating in heavy duty conditions.

I run 75W-140 in the rear and 75W-110 in the front (Amsoil Severe Gear). I use 75W-110 because it is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before API updated the J306 tables some time ago. The front axle should hold between 1.3 and 1.5QTs and the rear axle between 1.4 and 1.6QTs.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored

First Name
Cipriano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
So I just spoke to Jessie from Spicer (makes the Dana axles) specifically about the issue with the faulty sensor in the e-lockers. He said that axles being replaced and sent to dealers to customers under warranty due to the faulty sensor will have a FIXED (sensor will be sealed) sensor. So you wonā€™t be chasing your tail getting it replaced to only have to replace it again when oil gets in the sensor. The problem right now is parts availability for the axle assemble as a whole due to multiple factors (COVID, lack of materials, weather etc). Just an FYI to everyone struggling with this issues and the ones that will get the faulty sensor light in the future.

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
... The problem right now is parts availability for the axle assemble as a whole due to multiple factors (COVID, lack of materials, weather etc). Just an FYI to everyone struggling with this issues and the ones that will get the faulty sensor light in the future.
I wonder if the vehicles off the line now have the new sensors or not?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I just spoke to Jessie from Spicer (makes the Dana axles) specifically about the issue with the faulty sensor in the e-lockers. He said that axles being replaced and sent to dealers to customers under warranty due to the faulty sensor will have a FIXED (sensor will be sealed) sensor. So you wonā€™t be chasing your tail getting it replaced to only have to replace it again when oil gets in the sensor. The problem right now is parts availability for the axle assemble as a whole due to multiple factors (COVID, lack of materials, weather etc). Just an FYI to everyone struggling with this issues and the ones that will get the faulty sensor light in the future.
Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. Several people have had multiple rear axle replacements.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
If chasing my tail is potting the sensor?

what is waiting on a dealer to get non existent parts fromDana who is also waiting on parts, only to do a dealer axle swap assuming ur in warranty wo a hassle?

sorry-very not following that logic

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this good news at last. My front axle was changed two days ago, and this after 5 months of discussions with my dealer (+ my lawyer).

I folded the front sensor yesterday and am now quiet for this problem, the rear axle I did it a few months ago and just at the limit of the failure, because oil had already entered!

Good luck to all :like:

First Name
Cipriano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
If chasing my tail is potting the sensor?

what is waiting on a dealer to get non existent parts fromDana who is also waiting on parts, only to do a dealer axle swap assuming ur in warranty wo a hassle?

sorry-very not following that logic
Neil, I meant chasing my tail by replacing my axle with another axle that has the same kind of sensor that will fail and having to go back to the dealer. I just posted this so that people that havenā€™t potted it and want to take it in under warranty or already have it at the dealer waiting for parts. Mine was already at the dealer waiting for parts before I saw this forum and the potting solution otherwise I would have done that!

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. Several people have had multiple rear axle replacements.
Ditto for me. Any company that does not have the brain power to:

1. Realize that an unsealed electronic sensor that is continuously bathed in and partially submerged in hot oil will fail.
2. Realize that a $50 sensor should not require an entire axle replacement.
3. Realize that replacing an entire axle assembly ($2000) for said $50 sensor is a 3900% loss in profit--just from the parts and not including labor.

is the same company who would say they have now fixed the problem by potting the sensors in new assemblies and still not make the module available as a part replacement.

First Name
Cipriano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Ditto for me. Any company that does not have the brain power to:

1. Realize that an unsealed electronic sensor that is continuously bathed in and partially submerged in hot oil will fail.
2. Realize that a $50 sensor should not require an entire axle replacement.
3. Realize that replacing an entire axle assembly ($2000) for said $50 sensor is a 3900% loss in profit--just from the parts and not including labor.

is the same company who would say they have now fixed the problem by potting the sensors in new assemblies and still not make the module available as a part replacement.
Definitely agree with that. I did ask about that and what he said was that they make parts that are demanded/requested by FCA and their other car companies. If FCA doesnā€™t request it as a separate part then they donā€™t offer it as a separate part. I know itā€™s a wishy washy answer lol. Hopefully after this issue, they will see that there is a demand for this part. I agree, it makes no sense.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely agree with that. I did ask about that and what he said was that they make parts that are demanded/requested by FCA and their other car companies. If FCA doesnā€™t request it as a separate part then they donā€™t offer it as a separate part. I know itā€™s a wishy washy answer lol. Hopefully after this issue, they will see that there is a demand for this part. I agree, it makes no sense.
TLDR; Dana Spicer has no idea why FCA does not supply this as a separate part, but is thrilled with the windfall gleaned from the axle replacements and will in no way suggest anything to the contrary.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Neil, I meant chasing my tail by replacing my axle with another axle that has the same kind of sensor that will fail and having to go back to the dealer. I just posted this so that people that havenā€™t potted it and want to take it in under warranty or already have it at the dealer waiting for parts. Mine was already at the dealer waiting for parts before I saw this forum and the potting solution otherwise I would have done that!
gotcha-apologies-ur chasing tail = mine = wasting time

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ā€˜18 JLUR
Thank you @chevymitchell. I just completed potting my sensors (2018 JLUR with 12,900 miles). There was a small amount of oil in the rear sensor, the front sensor was dry. Thanks to your instructions, everything went well and I have hopefully avoided a future failure.
Sponsored