First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, you guys tracking these: Link

I guess the potting method is a lot cheaper but just wonder if this is a good option for those that would rather plug in a fix. $180 isn’t bad.

Otherwise I’m guess with fluid and the potting stuff, you’re out what....50-60$ depending on fluid choice?
Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Just curious, you guys tracking these: Link

I guess the potting method is a lot cheaper but just wonder if this is a good option for those that would rather plug in a fix. $180 isn’t bad.

Otherwise I’m guess with fluid and the potting stuff, you’re out what....50-60$ depending on fluid choice?
That's $180 per axle and they were designed to be used after the locker sensor fails.

The sensor shorting out will still happen and could cause other issues upstream in the circuit. The Z-Harness doesn't fix or prevent anything. It hides the problem.

Pot the sensor and your Jeep will work as designed, hopefully, for a very long time.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
That's $180 per axle and they were designed to be used after the locker sensor fails.

The sensor shorting out will still happen and could cause other issues upstream in the circuit. The Z-Harness doesn't fix or prevent anything. It hides the problem.

Pot the sensor and your Jeep will work as designed, hopefully, for a very long time.
Aahh, good to know. I plan to do this when I get to CO after the move. Been busy and don’t have any time to drain and pot the sensors now. Fingers crossed they don’t go bad before I get there. With only 600 miles on the jeep and an additional 1700 miles when I move, hopefully I’ll be good til I get them potted.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Aahh, good to know. I plan to do this when I get to CO after the move. Been busy and don’t have any time to drain and pot the sensors now. Fingers crossed they don’t go bad before I get there. With only 600 miles on the jeep and an additional 1700 miles when I move, hopefully I’ll be good til I get them potted.
Where in CO are you moving? We just moved out to UT down by Sand Hollow.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Where in CO are you moving? We just moved out to UT down by Sand Hollow.
Aurora/Denver area. We’ll have to meet up some time. Ive got a bit of family in Utah so I’m sure I’ll be in the area next year. Also plan to hit Moab this coming summer.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Aurora/Denver area. We’ll have to meet up some time. Ive got a bit of family in Utah so I’m sure I’ll be in the area next year. Also plan to hit Moab this coming summer.
Keep me posted. Moab is 5 hours from us.

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I did the pot on both my axles after they were replaced and also installed the z locker on both axles as it gives me more room for the axel to droop and not pull on the harness.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I did the pot on both my axles after they were replaced and also installed the z locker on both axles as it gives me more room for the axel to droop and not pull on the harness.
You don't need the Z Harness to achieve this. You can remove one or both of the christmas tree retainers on the tub. They were put there specifically for this purpose. The same design is on the front axle, as well.

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
You don't need the Z Harness to achieve this. You can remove one or both of the christmas tree retainers on the tub. They were put there specifically for this purpose. The same design is on the front axle, as well.
I did this but with my lift and the amount of downward droop I have it was still pulling on the harness

Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Question:

Where exactly on the rear of the sensor are you drilling, for that "bottom" hole? Everything being black is fooling my eyes. I plan on doing this when I swap diff covers this winter.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Question:

Where exactly on the rear of the sensor are you drilling, for that "bottom" hole? Everything being black is fooling my eyes. I plan on doing this when I swap diff covers this winter.
I know it's difficult to see. Pick the corner closest to the center of the sensor. Drill far enough away from the edges so the potting material nozzle will fit. The next set I do, I'll take a better picture and throw it up here for clarity.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it's difficult to see. Pick the corner closest to the center of the sensor. Drill far enough away from the edges so the potting material nozzle will fit. The next set I do, I'll take a better picture and throw it up here for clarity.
Appreciate it! Is the depth of material there the same as the clearish top cap? It also looks like you're filling that entire area with potting compound where before there was nothing?

Absolutely baffling to me why FCA wouldn't just sell a bloody sensor. Imagine the costs they'd save!

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Appreciate it! Is the depth of material there the same as the clearish top cap? It also looks like you're filling that entire area with potting compound where before there was nothing?

Absolutely baffling to me why FCA wouldn't just sell a bloody sensor. Imagine the costs they'd save!
It's approx. the same, yeah. Also much much harder to see, so go really slow through the black material.

Yeah, the entire sensor is empty. Just the cap is sealed around the edges.

Oh I'm sure they're charging the crap out of DANA for this. This isn't FCA. The entire axle assembly is a DANA sub-assembly with a MOPAR Part #. One day it'll go up for sale.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's approx. the same, yeah. Also much much harder to see, so go really slow through the black material.

Yeah, the entire sensor is empty. Just the cap is sealed around the edges.

Oh I'm sure they're charging the crap out of DANA for this. This isn't FCA. The entire axle assembly is a DANA sub-assembly with a MOPAR Part #. One day it'll go up for sale.
Until then, we pot.

Thanks again, looking forward to following this thread and seeing updates!
Sponsored