Sponsored

Lift jack points

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hello fellow Jeepers,

This may be a stupid question, can you guys point me to the right direction for jacking up a Jeep using a personal home lift?
I always do all of my own maintenance in all of my vehicles if possible, when I can’t do someone I pay a personal mechanic to come help out. In the pictures the driver side is clear cut, but on the passenger side, the gas tank metal cover is in the way.
What should I do ? What are you guys using ? Being on only halfway is not stable for me to do any work underneath

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift jack points 9D2F9C52-4429-4434-81A9-FAA36888B7B5

BB4A6123-A977-49F6-A095-42B3266109B7.jpeg
Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I think you need a different style adapter. My buddy's lift uses ones that look kind of like this one. It's the same width as the visible frame rail next to the gas tank, so it fits just right. I don't have any idea where you would go to buy such a thing, but that's what I've seen work.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift jack points 1628213700143

Also... I have serious garage envy right now. That looks like an awesome setup.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Can you slide behind the gas tank skid plate if you just loosen the two bolts in the pic?

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Hope no one minds me reviving this old post...but it seems appropriate.

I am trying to figure out how to lift this 2 door wrangler JL given the same pics as the OP posted.

But for me, no lift....just my hydraulic floor jack.

I needed to do a tire rotation and found that they have made it impossible to lift using the "correct" owners manual lift points in front....and the right side is as shown above on the frame.....

HOW , on God's sweet earth, are you supposed to lift with a floor jack AND use jack stands using the "proper" lift points?

My floor jacks pad wont work on the right side frame rail at all due to the skids etc....and in the front, the gap they allow on the axle tube, both sides, is way to small (not to mention I would never use a round lift point with my flat lift pad on my floor jack).

On other rwd car/trucks I use the rear diff fousing to lift the rear and use the axle tubes for jackstands...and have not had issues.......safe to do this on the JL?

And on the front, the front diff seems so small.......and its offset, which would screw up the idea.....

What are you folks doing?

I ended up having to use the scissor jack that came with the Jeep and could only lift up one corner at a time....so had to use the spare tire temporarily during the rotation.....time waster!

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
On the rear I lift with my hydraulic floor jack from the center of the diff w/ a hard rubber pad and put my jack stands under each end of the axle tubes. For the front, I have an aluminum slug for my jack that fits just to the side of the diff that allows me to lift the front level. Again, I then put my jack stands under each end of the axle tubes.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
On the rear I lift with my hydraulic floor jack from the center of the diff w/ a hard rubber pad and put my jack stands under each end of the axle tubes. For the front, I have an aluminum slug for my jack that fits just to the side of the diff that allows me to lift the front level. Again, I then put my jack stands under each end of the axle tubes.
Where did you get the aluminum slug for your jack?

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I work for a company that makes aluminum and titanium forgings for the aerospace industry.

• Love
Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Thoughts on jacking and changing seasonal tires:

For better or worse I use my floor jack to lift one axle at a time when rotating tires from winter to summer tires (and vice versa). I use the axle tubes as my lift point, and I put a jack stand under the frame of the vehicle as backup. Except for a crowded front axle, this seems to work well.

I also have a big, mean Makita cordless Impact Wrench which makes all the difference for removing lug nuts. Putting tires back on, after hand starting each lug nut, I use the cordless Impact Wrench for speeding up the mounting process, then hand-tighten via torque wrench. Before final tightening, I try to shake the wheel to make sure it is fully flat around the axle hub, having learned the hard way on my MDX that one can tighten a cocked wheel which will then shake later.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
My son had ours on the lift at work today for some new tires and a once over and he used the adapters shown above to clear the gas tank cover:
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift jack points On Lift 23

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Can you share a pick of your AL Slug? TIA

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have one handy ATM, but it's just a round piece of billet aluminum, 4"-5" in diameter and 6" long. It fits in the saddle of my hydraulic floor jack.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I don't have one handy ATM, but it's just a round piece of billet aluminum, 4"-5" in diameter and 6" long. It fits in the saddle of my hydraulic floor jack.
Okay, no problem. I'm thinking of going to the dump near me and see if there are any chunks of al to use to make one - I'm thinking I'll radius it to cradle the axle tube.
Sponsored