www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in adding a high lift jack to my JL Unlimited (mounting it inside, above the sport bar). But with plastic bumpers it seems there's really no suitable jacking point - other than the rock rails. I'm wondering if the factory rock rails are suitable as high-lift jacking points. I've seen others using similar rock rails on older JK's with their high lift jack but because JL factory rock rails are not frame mounted I question their ability to handle the load. I know there are discussions surrounding the factory rock rail worthiness - but for what I do they're otherwise fine - and aesthetically, finish off that unsightly seem at the bottom nicely. Bonus-they don't encroach on ground clearance at all. I'm also interested in keeping my Jeep as light as possible, so holding off for the moment changing to steel bumpers. I had steel bull bar/WARN winch on my last pickup and rarely used the winch - but felt the weight penalty of it daily. I'm hoping in the short term to add the high lift instead and see how far that gets me. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm interested in adding a high lift jack to my JL Unlimited (mounting it inside, above the sport bar). But with plastic bumpers it seems there's really no suitable jacking point - other than the rock rails. I'm wondering if the factory rock rails are suitable as high-lift jacking points.

I've seen others using similar rock rails on older JK's with their high lift jack but because JL factory rock rails are not frame mounted I question their ability to handle the load.
I wouldn't, for precisely the reason you mention. I just installed a set of OEM Rubicon rock rails on my JLU, and it's plainly evident that stronger options could be configured. More to the point, I can feel the weight of the Jeep when using a jack to raise it via the factory-approved lift points. I'd prefer not to ask the factory rock rails (a trim piece, in my view) to bear the same load.

OP
OP
jbcrane

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't, for precisely the reason you mention. I just installed a set of OEM Rubicon rock rails on my JLU, and it's plainly evident that stronger options could be configured. More to the point, I can feel the weight of the Jeep when using a jack to raise it via the factory-approved lift points. I'd prefer not to ask the factory rock rails (a trim piece, in my view) to bear the same load.
Confirmation. Thanks. Kinda stuck though running a high lift. Guess my choices are steel bumpers or new rock slider/steps. My wife is having a tough time getting in and out of him since his lift, so new sliders/steps may win the day. Thanks for the reply.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP
jbcrane

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Check this out https://jeepsneeds.com/products/sam-ujl. They also have adapters for the rear tow loop https://jeepsneeds.com/collections/gear/products/truckster-jt-rear-adaptor-for-sam-ujl-hi-lift-jacks.

The one below works with D-rings too, which can be added with Maximus-3's products

IMG_E8891_1024x1024@2x.jpg
That's awesome. Looks like exactly what I need. Are you running these? From the description on their site it appears they'll work with plastic bumpers with a different clevis pin. Thanks so much.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That's awesome. Looks like exactly what I need. Are you running these? From the description on their site it appears they'll work with plastic bumpers with a different clevis pin. Thanks so much.
I bought one, but I don't own a hi-lift so I can't even try it out. It seems well built.

I have OEM steel bumpers, so no comment on how it works with the plastic.

OP
OP
jbcrane

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one, but I don't own a hi-lift so I can't even try it out. It seems well built.
I have OEM steel bumpers, so no comment on how it works with the plastic.
Again, big help. Thank you. I'm trying to see how far I can get without steel bumpers or winch (for now) and this seems like a good step.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The hi-lift will lift and fall in an arc. I wouldnt use one near a flat body panel. They also have a pretty low weight rating. They are heavy. They are tall/long and awkward. There are almost always better solutions for lifting a vehicle.
Sponsored