Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Thank you for the detailed info jmccorm, I really appreciate it.

I did some checks earlier today and found:

1. All the buttons on the control unit below the touch screen is dead until about 30 seconds, then they all activate to their functional state.
2. If I start the Jeep the second time after say about 10 to 15 minutes then there is no 30 second delay and all the buttons function fine, even the hill decent is working as it should in 4L.
3. The problem seems to only emerge when the Jeep stood for a while. More than an hour or over night.
And the radio controls on the back of the steering wheel, can you find out how well they're working when the rest of the controls are having problems?
Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
And the radio controls on the back of the steering wheel, can you find out how well they're working when the rest of the controls are having problems?
The controls on the steering wheel works perfectly fine.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
The controls on the steering wheel works perfectly fine.
So that tends to say that you're looking at a problem on the CAN-IHS bus. You won't have the tools to diagnose this yourself, but if you look through the options I gave you, it might further isolate the problem.

I'd be particularly interested if your vehicle logged any DTCs. Do you have a Tazer or use Jscan? If so, follow the steps I mentioned to retrieve the DTC codes and let me know what they are. If you don't have one of those devices, you're going to have to try some of the other options I gave you.

The vibe I'm getting here is that either another item on your CAN-IHS bus is hogging the bus for a period of time and eventually stops, or something on the bus is malfunctioning and gets detected and shut down by the CAN controller (or ECU) about ten seconds later.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Tazer JL Mini, I will check if there are any DTC codes. Also, My Jeep is still under warranty, I will pop in by the dealer to log the issue with them.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I was just talking about this at work today. Someone asked why I remote start my jeep every time I drive it. It's not to warm up or cool down the jeep, it's to get my radio/system booted up so everything works by the time I get in. If I don't, sometimes I'm waiting forever for everything to work (it's usually only seconds... feels like hours)

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I remember back in 1992, my computer took 6 minutes to boot up and another 4 or 5 minutes to get on the web.

I understand the frustration with the radio. The funny thing is the radio controls on the dash will not work, but the radio controls on the steering wheel will still turn down the volume.
I'll have to try that. I get in it in the morning and the radio is friggin blasting.

I'm like "Whoa there girl, I'm not the same guy I was last night"

That said I am more than satisfied with my 5 inches

Oh trust me I'm an early adopter and a total tech head, but for a Jeep I want the cheapest to repair radio they offer as it gets pelted with sun and rain.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I had the 5" POS. After 30 days I couldn't take it any more (lag, glitches, stop working, BT connections). Went to Mopar Parts and bought the 8". Has worked just fine ever since. I didnt even have them flash the system for the new radio. Just plug + play and it works for what i want. On rare occasions i dont have backup lines (but that happened with the 5" as well). VOL up/Down with sterring wheel only is not a big deal.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That was a feature I miss on my 2011 Chevy Cruz. It had an option to automatically reset the radio volume to a reasonably low level after it had been shut off. Come home with radio cranked up, next morning when I started it the volume was normal again. Not sure why ever head unit doesn't have this option, unless GM has patented it...

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
That was a feature I miss on my 2011 Chevy Cruz. It had an option to automatically reset the radio volume to a reasonably low level after it had been shut off. Come home with radio cranked up, next morning when I started it the volume was normal again. Not sure why ever head unit doesn't have this option, unless GM has patented it...
Exactly. Also I wish my phone did that as well each time I played a video.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did some more testing today. I got into the Jeep, did absolutely nothing (When you open the door to get in the 8.4” screen goes on briefly with the Jeep name logo) I waited for about 20seconds, started the Jeep and everything on the panel works perfectly fine. I tested this about 5 times, all with the same outcomes.

So, it seems to only happen if I am in a hurry, jump in the Jeep, start it immediately and drive.

It has to be a slow boot up sequence of the electronics, maybe I should add some more RAM or install a solid state drive to get the Jeep to boot up quicker 😜

Or, it is the Tazer as I leave it plugged in permanently.

Sponsored

JonnyFootball

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue! However, my issue always extends to all of the electronic controls in the center including the A/C and the automatic engine shut off button. I've even experienced volume issues where I've turned up the volume to 30 and can barely here the music.

I don't care about the music so much as I do about the A/C. It has taken up to 5 minutes to kick in, and in the Florida heat with a soft top and 2 year old in the backseat, this is not acceptable. I can let the car warm up when I'm at home, but it also happens when I'm running errands and can't really just hang out in a parking lot waiting for everything to function properly.

My jeep is currently in the shop as I type this for this exact issue so I will keep you all updated if there is any resolution. This is the 2nd time I've taken it in for this issue, and since I'm still under warranty, I won't stop until this issue is resolved.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I know this is an older thread, but it’s the first I found stating these issues.

Any updates. Mine just started doing this. Stopping by the dealer next week. He thinks it might need a software update. I’ll show him this thread.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Dealer plugged in and didn’t see any codes that were related. Only codes I had were stored codes I cleared from when I installed my AAL front blinkers and the Jeep didn’t like them at first. I did unplug my tazer while on a trip to texas. I didn’t have the issue after removing the tazer. I did not Unmarry the tazer. Only unplugged it and put the cables back into the Jeep sgw. I did not have the issue again that I noticed for almost two weeks. The other day I updated my tazer firmware and upgraded it from a lite to a tazer mini. Plugged it in to program for my new Oracle flush mount tail lights. Left it plugged in. That was last Thursday night. Went to work and home on Friday. Did not drive the Jeep again until this morning (Monday). When I started the Jeep my HVAC/radio control panel did not light up or work for around 10-15seconds again. I’ll be back to the yard Tuesday late afternoon (I’m a truck driver) and I’ll see if it does it again after sitting 36hours. If it does I may remove the tazer again without unmarrying the tazer and see if the issue goes away. I don’t want to blame the tazer but I’m trying to rule it out. I may need to leave it unplugged. I’ll experiment a few times and see what I find. I might contact zautomotive and see if they have heard of this.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It’s no longer just a radio. It’s a mini computer that has to boot up.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
It’s no longer just a radio. It’s a mini computer that has to boot up.
True. But the control panel shouldn’t take 10-30seconds longer than the rest of the system To start. And if it does then it should be delayed every time not randomly.
Sponsored