Aftermarket stereo in JL?

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Showing my age and lack of experience with new cars. It used to be fairly easy to yank out a car stereo head unit, and replace with an aftermarket unit. There were standard sizes and all. Is that still possible with the new JL?

On the JL dash, it seems like the only place for a stereo is where the screen is located. But I wonder if that screen assembly is integral to the vehicle, or if it comes out and can be replaced? A friend installed an aftermarket stereo in his JK dash, so at least on the prior model that was possible.
Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Just curious, why would you want to yank the stock unit out? There is no real reason to with the apps like apple car and android auto.

Not to mention the back up camera screen as well.

OP
OP
Indio

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Just curious, why would you want to yank the stock unit out? There is no real reason to with the apps like apple car and android auto.

Yes, I guess it depends on the attributes. I would be going with the base Sport JLU, and will have to find a rundown of the exact attributes of the head unit or whatever it is called these days. Typically in the past though, I would select an aftermarket head unit to my liking and with the attributes I wanted, and install that along with an amp and some speakers also of my choosing. But maybe that is not an option on the JL, due to the backup camera and dash integration.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

The base 5" UConnect doesn't come with CarPlay / Android Auto, and in many ways UConnect systems have sucked in the past - I have no faith they'll be much better in the JL.

That said, there's always a way - new headunits come with more and more ways to integrate with vehicle systems as needed, either built in or as adapters. Also, most of the really fancy vehicle specific stuff shown on the screens (lockers, etc) seem to be displayed on the screen between the gauges, and not the center stack screen based on the owners manual pics.

Backup camera video is generally really easy to integrate on an aftermarket HU - it's just a video signal with a switch tied to the backup light/reverse circuit.

I think we'll be OK replacing the headunit - may be a little tougher than it used to be, and we may have to wait a bit for Metra et all to make a nice matching frame, but with bondo and a good installer there are ways around that as well.

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi

My reason for changing out the stock head unit in my 2013 Rubi was mainly because I wanted to update all the speakers, and add an amp (the factory one it had was crap). That meant dealing with the CANBUS system and the whole thing... I'm no stereo guy, so it became clear that the easier choice was to rip the whole thing out and start from scratch, which I did... And it came out sounding great.

My hopes are high for the sound in the 2018 when I get it, but I'm also realistic. The factory sound from basically a rolling metal box (Jeep) has never been very good. Fingers crossed... I really don't wanna pay for the top of the line stuff from the factory only to end up tearing it all out and replacing it anyway.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yes, I guess it depends on the attributes. I would be going with the base Sport JLU, and will have to find a rundown of the exact attributes of the head unit or whatever it is called these days. Typically in the past though, I would select an aftermarket head unit to my liking and with the attributes I wanted, and install that along with an amp and some speakers also of my choosing. But maybe that is not an option on the JL, due to the backup camera and dash integration.
Wait and see what the price difference will be for factory vs aftermarket.
The factory unit is pretty good, even compared to Wrangler specific units like Alpine’s let alone pedestrian units. The upgrade costs for a good system will likely cost you more than the Alpine speaker/amp upgrade and the 7” unit. Still unsure about the 8” option being available Sport, but check the pricing with a dealer even as a dealer-swap.

There are already replacement units for he Grand Cherokee and Ram and others with these head-unit options, so there are already units that would be compatible with the 5-8” space, but finding the proper shroud/surround initially will be the part that takes a short time to get, but that too will be available soon enough I’m sure.

Some people will never be satisfied with stock unit regardless, and will be hyperbolic about how much better/worse options are, just make sure that for what you're doing that you’re getting good return on your investment and are adding differences that you can objectively appreciate.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
The base 5" UConnect doesn't come with CarPlay / Android Auto, and in many ways UConnect systems have sucked in the past - I have no faith they'll be much better in the JL.

That said, there's always a way - new headunits come with more and more ways to integrate with vehicle systems as needed, either built in or as adapters. Also, most of the really fancy vehicle specific stuff shown on the screens (lockers, etc) seem to be displayed on the screen between the gauges, and not the center stack screen based on the owners manual pics.

Backup camera video is generally really easy to integrate on an aftermarket HU - it's just a video signal with a switch tied to the backup light/reverse circuit.

I think we'll be OK replacing the headunit - may be a little tougher than it used to be, and we may have to wait a bit for Metra et all to make a nice matching frame, but with bondo and a good installer there are ways around that as well.
True, just know what you are getting into and don't get screwed. I wanted to swap the head unit in my JK to a touch screen OEM and the audio shop wanted to charge over $200 for something I ended up doing myself in 10 minutes!!! When talking about custom jobs then good luck! I remember all of those crazy in-dash iPad upgrades that were bank but now obsolete due to Car Play.

@ Indio - If anything save your money with OEM head unit and get better speakers and amp! Unless you are some kind of Audiophile and just have to hear every single note...lol.

It is getting more difficult to easily swap in-dash receivers because auto companes are trying to integrate the stock head unit into the interior. Each year fewer vehicles have the simple head unit (single or two DIN) hole to swap units from. Typically base commuter cars or econo-box cars are easy because style is not a factor.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Most modern vehicles use the touchscreen for a lot of functions now. Replacing head units is a difficult process and will be expensive. Most vehicles will require some type of custom dash plate to fill in any gaps when the factory system is removed. Also you may lose some of your steering wheel integration with an aftermarket unit. The stereo controls on the steering wheel may not be compatible with other brands.

KeJaCo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1999 WJ
Occupation
SCADA Field Service Tech
Wouldn't replacing with an aftermarket headunit result in the loss of configuration of "Uconnect Settings" which control numerous vehicle functions like the new AUX switches, interior light settings, door locks, etc etc???

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
Yeah while I have always liked getting aftermarket radios and had no problem putting in a aftermarket unit in my 08.....I looked at my wife's Renegade and said....well those days are long gone =P

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
After a few days with the new premium system it's really good. I figured out that input issue with my ipod as well. Great system!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
After a few days with the new premium system it's really good. I figured out that input issue with my ipod as well. Great system!
Glad to hear. Care to share how you resolved your issue (I don't have an ipod but imagine it might help others avoid reinventing the wheel)?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Glad to hear. Care to share how you resolved your issue (I don't have an ipod but imagine it might help others avoid reinventing the wheel)?
OK, so as I've said I love using my Ipod Classic {160gig} Over 500 full albums all with cover art for each album. (I'm OCD) Anyway, in my 12 JKU Premium Audio 430 no nav, I always just used an aux. cable to connect and used the Ipod directly to control music . With that many albums, if I used USB to connect, giving the radio control of the Ipod, it just took to long to load, was hard to navigate that smaller screen , took too long to find what I wanted, and the interface wasn't very good. So on this new Jeep, I did what I always did and used my aux cable in and I noticed that on many tracks I was constantly adjusting the volume on the Ipod then the radio to find the dynamic range sweet spot. It was, volume way down on the Ipod then turn up the radio and the reverse. (with that much music from various sources, and with varying levels of quality its hard to have everything at the highest level and all be equal .) I don't remember having to do that constantly on JK's system. I'm familiar with the reasoning and have delt with it before on better sound systems in the past. Also on JL, If a song sounded bad I noticed in the audio tab an input volume adjustment (otherwise known as gain, I think) would show as a highlighted ootion, it allows to preset an input volume so you can adjust the gain to raise or lower +3 or minus 3 the volume of the device in this case the Ipod. What this does is adjust the input to a specific level to stop you from adjusting it on the device constantly, this too can still vary depending on quality of track. I was talking to an audio tech friend of mine and he said try plugging it in via USB, so I did. Holly shit, 500 + albums loaded relatively fast, you can sesrch/scroll for artist or albums. It's easy on the new touch screen. And the sound was awesome, because the radio is in charge not the Ipod. It was Night and day. And easy to do while driving vs rolling my finger on the Ipod touch wheel and looking at that small ass screen. Not to mention all cover art shows perfectly. The systems is very good. The only thing I will do is pull the sub speaker and see if there's a lot of vacant /hollow space back there like in the JK. If so I'll buy poly fill (pillow stuffing) stuff the vacancies with it. If there are hollow areas, you can get a hollow sound like if you put a radio at the bottom of a trash can for example. It sounds better out of the trash can right? . That makes the bass more dense and direct, and without hollow/echo like sound. The same applies to the overheads too. I did those on the JK as well and it helped the system a lot. That whole bar above your head was a hollow chamber causes a loss or waisted space for sound to escape. The current system doesn't sound like it needs this, but I'll check and report back. I hope this laymen explanation helps someone. Goodnight, Dyno-Mite

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
OK, so as I've said I love using my Ipod Classic {160gig} Over 500 full albums all with cover art for each album. (I'm OCD) Anyway, in my 12 JKU Premium Audio 430 no nav, I always just used an aux. cable to connect and used the Ipod directly to control music . With that many albums, if I used USB to connect, giving the radio control of the Ipod, it just took to long to load, was hard to navigate that smaller screen , took too long to find what I wanted, and the interface wasn't very good. So on this new Jeep, I did what I always did and used my aux cable in and I noticed that on many tracks I was constantly adjusting the volume on the Ipod then the radio to find the dynamic range sweet spot. It was, volume way down on the Ipod then turn up the radio and the reverse. (with that much music from various sources, and with varying levels of quality its hard to have everything at the highest level and all be equal .) I don't remember having to do that constantly on JK's system. I'm familiar with the reasoning and have delt with it before on better sound systems in the past. Also on JL, If a song sounded bad I noticed in the audio tab an input volume adjustment (otherwise known as gain, I think) would show as a highlighted ootion, it allows to preset an input volume so you can adjust the gain to raise or lower +3 or minus 3 the volume of the device in this case the Ipod. What this does is adjust the input to a specific level to stop you from adjusting it on the device constantly, this too can still vary depending on quality of track. I was talking to an audio tech friend of mine and he said try plugging it in via USB, so I did. Holly shit, 500 + albums loaded relatively fast, you can sesrch/scroll for artist or albums. It's easy on the new touch screen. And the sound was awesome, because the radio is in charge not the Ipod. It was Night and day. And easy to do while driving vs rolling my finger on the Ipod touch wheel and looking at that small ass screen. Not to mention all cover art shows perfectly. The systems is very good. The only thing I will do is pull the sub speaker and see if there's a lot of vacant /hollow space back there like in the JK. If so I'll buy poly fill (pillow stuffing) stuff the vacancies with it. If there are hollow areas, you can get a hollow sound like if you put a radio at the bottom of a trash can for example. It sounds better out of the trash can right? . That makes the bass more dense and direct, and without hollow/echo like sound. The same applies to the overheads too. I did those on the JK as well and it helped the system a lot. That whole bar above your head was a hollow chamber causes a loss or waisted space for sound to escape. The current system doesn't sound like it needs this, but I'll check and report back. I hope this laymen explanation helps someone. Goodnight, Dyno-Mite

If you take the sub woofer assembly apart and add poly fill, can you please update us and show pics before and after?

Thanks!

vilacr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Would anyone happen to know the colors of the rear speaker wires?
Sponsored