Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
If everyone has stock arms my guess is it may actually be the pinion angle. Maybe it is more sensitive on the JL.

D Arnett

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2.0t wrangler
Does anyone that experience this have aftermarket rear control arms or is everyone stock? I have stock for now.
Stock. With a rockkrawler lift in garage. Get this issue solved first then I'll proceed on with the lift will keep everyone updated as this issue moves on

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
RC 2.5 coil lift with Fox shocks
I’ve got the same setup and don’t have a knock. Check and double check everything was re Installed and tightened down. Sounds like the driveline at the ujoint if it’s knocking metal on metal. I’ve been running mine since 1500 miles I have 8000 now no issues at all

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer ordered rear ring/pinion to resolve our clunk on decel, no idea yet if that will repair it, parts still on order. I suspect it’s likely the driveline or an axle problem, but we’ll see.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Dealer ordered rear ring/pinion to resolve our clunk on decel, no idea yet if that will repair it, parts still on order. I suspect it’s likely the driveline or an axle problem, but we’ll see.
Swapping your ring and pinion is NOT going to change anything as far as a clunking noise. Once the lash is set at factory its perminetly shimmed. The length of the rear driveshaft in 4door jeeps make pinion angle mostly a non issue especially on the rinky dink 2” lifts you guys are running. Put your truck on a lift and see if you can duplicate. Check your shock mounts and torque on control arms.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Crawl under and see if your driveshaft has been making contact with the fuel tank skid

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Do you guys all have the auto? If you do, drivetrain noise from the rear is normal under the conditions you are describing. Some hear it, some don't. If you are SURE your noise just started after the lift and it is consistent in time and pitch and you are running stock wheels, make sure the extended rear swaybar links are not hitting your wheels.

-Eli

Messup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I had this issue and the dealer replaced my rear axle assembly (housing), reusing all internals. Almost 2k miles later no noise, my rear is the M220 if that helps.

Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you guys double/triple checked the swabar endlink bolts? If those are not tightened to spec, they will 100% make a knocking noise that you can hear and feel. I'd jack the rear up and put it on jack stands...then raise and lower either the drivers side or passenger side tire with your jack while checking the endlinks. If you see any lateral play, it means they need to be tightened.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Have you guys double/triple checked the swabar endlink bolts? If those are not tightened to spec, they will 100% make a knocking noise that you can hear and feel. I'd jack the rear up and put it on jack stands...then raise and lower either the drivers side or passenger side tire with your jack while checking the endlinks. If you see any lateral play, it means they need to be tightened.
That shouldn’t cause a rotational clunking noise though right?

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I had this issue and the dealer replaced my rear axle assembly (housing), reusing all internals. Almost 2k miles later no noise, my rear is the M220 if that helps.
What did they determine was cause of failure by needing to replace housing and reuse internal components? Thanks

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
That shouldn’t cause a rotational clunking noise though right?
No, not rotational clunking. But definitely a clunk when accelerating from a dead stop and also when hitting bumps in the road.

Messup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Did you have a lift installed? I didn’t have this until after my lift was installed. I installed a JKS 2.5.
I had the Fabtech 3" kit installed

What did they determine was cause of failure by needing to replace housing and reuse internal components? Thanks
I never got a reason only that the local mechanic opened a "star case" and was told to replace the rear differential assembly.
Sponsored