Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Well just got off the phone with my service advisor in relation to the rotational clunking noise I’ve been having for some time. A few weeks ago a new rear ring and pinion were ordered, but upon tear down they found actual failure to be the carrier bearings spun and damaged races. New rear diff assembly is now on order.
Do you have a Dana 44 or 35?
Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Ha no real mechanics here huh? Do any of you have limited slip with this symptom? Any of you with this symptom have the rubicon 44 with locker? That sound is usually a bit too much play between the ring and pinion, inside the diff. no bueno. Could be CV joints in the half shaft as well... but thats usually after theyre worn in for 100k miles or so...

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
The spinning play in the driveshaft normal. If you can move it up and down or left and right thats a problem.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
The spinning play in the driveshaft normal. If you can move it up and down or left and right thats a problem.
Thanks!

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sounds like the Mod is the issue.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
is this a Rubicon specific issue or through all models?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I have the Sahara with Anti-Spin.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NO51

NO51

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so switched my lift kit to just a rubicon suspension thinking that would eliminate my noise but it did absolutely nothing and still making same rotational clunk when letting off the gas between 20 and 10 mph I know someone on here was taking their Jeep to the dealer for this problem. Will have to find the post but was wondering if they found anything?

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so switched my lift kit to just a rubicon suspension thinking that would eliminate my noise but it did absolutely nothing and still making same rotational clunk when letting off the gas between 20 and 10 mph I know someone on here was taking their Jeep to the dealer for this problem. Will have to find the post but was wondering if they found anything?
I know this thread is labeled knock after lift, but I don’t think the lift has anything to do with it. I have had mine (JLUS) in shop 8 days this go round, they originally ordered rear ring / pinion to resolve knock noise. Upon install they found carrier bearings spun and ordered complete rear differential assembly. I’m hoping it will be installed by tomorrow, although they still have other repairs and diagnosis still left to do. I’m sure this concern will become more common and we’re just starting to hear about it. FYI I have the Dana 44 rear. Good luck with getting yours diagnosed and repaired sooner than later.

Last edited:

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I know his thread is labeled knock after lift, but I don’t think then lift has anything to do with it. I have had mine JLUS in shop 8 days this go round, they originally ordered rear ring / pinion to resolve knock noise. Upon install they found carrier bearings spun and ordered complete rear differential assembly. I’m hoping it will be installed by tomorrow, it they still have other repairs and diagnosis still left to do. I’m sure this concern will become more common and we’re just starting to hear about it. FYI I have the Dana 44 rear. Good luck with getting yours diagnosed and repaired sooner than later.
I’ve only seen races spin on a diff with no oil. Sounds like they forgot to refill after the first inspection fwiw.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Ha no real mechanics here huh? Do any of you have limited slip with this symptom? Any of you with this symptom have the rubicon 44 with locker? That sound is usually a bit too much play between the ring and pinion, inside the diff. no bueno. Could be CV joints in the half shaft as well... but thats usually after theyre worn in for 100k miles or so...
The limited slip in a Jeep uses clutch packs to provide traction, so they don’t ever clunk but they also never actually lock. I’ve only ever heard an audible clunk on a diff when a spider gear tooth or a r and or p tooth was skipping, but you also feel that in a jolt in the vehicle. Every bad cv shaft I’ve ever touched made a clicking sound and only when turning, even a set of highly slacked rcv’s.
I’m kinda curious to hear what this mystery clunk is.

OP
OP
NO51

NO51

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I know this thread is labeled knock after lift, but I don’t think the lift has anything to do with it. I have had mine (JLUS) in shop 8 days this go round, they originally ordered rear ring / pinion to resolve knock noise. Upon install they found carrier bearings spun and ordered complete rear differential assembly. I’m hoping it will be installed by tomorrow, although they still have other repairs and diagnosis still left to do. I’m sure this concern will become more common and we’re just starting to hear about it. FYI I have the Dana 44 rear. Good luck with getting yours diagnosed and repaired sooner than later.
So do you have a lift or just have the clunking?
Sponsored